Some Questions About Mormons

Everyone's welcome to join in. I was thinking about joining and I will be doing some research later, but i want to a bit of research socially, learn from people who are mormon and how it affects their lives. so my first question is this. what does it mean to you personally to be mormon, and how does it affect your life day to day?

Welcome LookingForLight!

You have asked a deceptively profound question, but one that I will try to answer honestly.

The two things that most immediately came to mind when pondering your question is empowerment and progression. As a member of the Church I am taught that God has given agency unto humankind to think and act for themselves. Through this agency we may choose to follow God and become more like him, or to choose another path, but the choice is entirely ours. We can make of ourselves and of this life whatever we choose, understanding that there are consequences to our choices. We also believe that God wishes us to be happy and make the most of ourselves and will help us along the way in all righteous endeavors. We also believe that all humankind is capable of achieving and becoming much more than we can possibly imagine. This progression does not come easily, and it does not come quickly, but it does come if we continue on. When our progression is stalled either through our own choices or unexpected occurrences God will be there to extend his hand if we will only take it. Through the sufferings of Jesus Christ he will provide forgiveness if we have chosen unwisely, and encouragement to continue on.

I believe this. I believe that I have been helped by God repeatedly in my life to accomplish things I have accomplished and I thank him for it. I also believe that the times I have chosen unwisely have been of my own accord and I do not blame God for them, but I do recognize that he was there to help me overcome my weaknesses.

These are extremely grandiose ideas, but I believe them to be true and they greatly affect my day to day life. I honestly believe that I can overcome any obstacle, strengthen any weakness, and become more than I currently am because God is at my side, as he is with everyone. In my chosen profession I am asked to work on very complicated problems. There have been many times I have been asked to accomplish things that were beyond my abilities and knowledge. In those moments I would close the door to my office, and plead to God for help. I would then roll up my sleeves and get to work believing that God would help me overcome my shortcomings, and I believe that he has.

This same thing occurs in my domestic life. When something devastating occurs I weep, I question, I despair, but then I pick myself up off the ground, lift up my eyes, take God's proffered hand and continue on.

-guerreiro9

Edited by guerreiro9

In order for you to understand my reply to your question, you will have to become a little more familiar with the Church and certain aspects of its teachings... its doctrines... But here goes...

In regard to how the Church affects my everyday life... the "restoration" of the gospel and priesthood authority for this last dispensation of time give me comfort in the knowing of who I am, why I am here, and what my potential is after death. Because of my faith in these teachings, I have an inner peace and confidence no matter what goes on around me in the world. I for one am thankful for the restoration of priesthood authority and the "keys" (Matt 16:19) for binding or "sealing" on earth, as well as in heaven. We believe families and marriage can be eternal when sealed here on earth by someone holding the proper authority of priesthood keys... not just until death do us part.

Because I am "sealed" to my loved ones... my parents and sister... and my husband, I fully expect to cross through the veil and run to embrace them, this long separation finally over... (I am widowed and alone).

This is but one aspect of the doctrinal teachings that give me a strong, positive outlook on life... I love what we term the "Plan of Salvation" or Plan of Happiness... and that our life here is but one part of our eternal jouney... one that can/will lead us back to our Heavenly Father. How I act... how I treat my fellow man... how I live everyday life, the choices I make, etc., are all wrapped up in my LDS faith, in our standards and teachings. It is a way of life...

GG

Everyone's welcome to join in. I was thinking about joining and I will be doing some research later, but i want to a bit of research socially, learn from people who are mormon and how it affects their lives. so my first question is this. what does it mean to you personally to be mormon, and how does it affect your life day to day?

I have been blessed to be able to put into verse...click on my poetry link and view poems by William Lee.

We believe that we lived with Heavenly Parents before we were born on earth, and had progressed as far as we could without a physical body. They created this earth, arranged for the formation of families, and planned for the Atonement of Jesus Christ, so that we could get that physical body, and have the opportunity to learn to how to use its parts(arms and legs, tongue, mouth ears brain, heart, desires and passions) in submission to His will. He will not take our agency from us, we have to freely chose.

Life is so much easier because I get why I'm here, what I'm supposed to be working on, and where I'm headed. My faith promotes education and service and kindness and recognition that even those we deem our enemies are children of our same Heavenly Father, with His divine nature. That opens both the world up, and also freedom to seek for truth wherever it is found and responsibility to all mortals everywhere.

Edited by rpn

Thanks for your offer.

I am a former member of the church from Germany. And I have three questions to which the German brothers could not give my an answer:

1. Why may I not be baptized as a woman? I was biologically a "man", however I was transsexual. And after depressions, alcoholism and two suicide attempts, I did not see any other way out but to change my sex/gender.

2. Why do baptized members who were transsexual have had not the same member rights, as "normal" members? The priesthood becomes men denied who were born as women and the access to the temple to both, acording to church handbook of instructions.

3. Why is it not so bad to be raped by the father as a child; as it is to be transsexual or homosexual? My raping father, a HP, did not have to fear any consequences because of his abuse of the church; I, however, was immediately excommunicated after I only told this bishop; that I am transsexual.

Thanks for your offer.

I am a former member of the church from Germany. And I have three questions to which the German brothers could not give my an answer:

1. Why may I not be baptized as a woman? I was biologically a "man", however I was transsexual. And after depressions, alcoholism and two suicide attempts, I did not see any other way out but to change my sex/gender.

2. Why do baptized members who were transsexual have had not the same member rights, as "normal" members? The priesthood becomes men denied who were born as women and the access to the temple to both, acording to church handbook of instructions.

3. Why is it not so bad to be raped by the father as a child; as it is to be transsexual or homosexual? My raping father, a HP, did not have to fear any consequences because of his abuse of the church; I, however, was immediately excommunicated after I only told this bishop; that I am transsexual.

I was a member in Fulda for 4 years...where are you from. Also the Church has policy to discuss this, but not here. P.S. Your father (if this is true) has all eternity to fear. Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

Those who commit such a sin are excommunicated, and can only return with the express permission of the First Presidency. The temple recommend interview asks a question about abuse of family members. The church takes this very seriously, so clearly there is more to your story.

Today there is a hot line established for bishops to call on how to handle such issues.

Edited by cdowis

I was a member in Fulda for 4 years...where are you from. Also the Church has policy to discuss this, but not here. P.S. Your father (if this is true) has all eternity to fear.

I live in Berlin now. But I was in some other towns of Germany before and lived also in the USA (Idaho, Maryland and Virginia).

Why can one not discuss the topic here. Did you mean the forum or this topic in this thread with that?

My father by the way is dead. This is good!

Those who commit such a sin are excommunicated, and can only return with the express permission of the First Presidency. The temple recommend interview asks a question about abuse of family members. The church takes this very seriously, so clearly there is more to your story.

Today there is a hot line established for bishops to call on how to handle such issues.

Here are two topics: Transsexualism and child abuse.

The child abuse happened very long time ago and ended with his violent death (Seventies).

My so-called "father" by the way was an eager visitor of the temple. So he must have lied to the bishop..

Why do I need the permission for my baptism by the first presidency? I have made nothing wrong! I have treated only an illness (transsexualism).

I live in Berlin now. But I was in some other towns of Germany before and lived also in the USA (Idaho, Maryland and Virginia).

Why can one not discuss the topic here. Did you mean the forum or this topic in this thread with that?

My father by the way is dead. This is good!

This is a social forum...no debate. I am sorry about your experiences.

Why do I need the permission for my baptism by the first presidency? I have made nothing wrong! I have treated only an illness (transsexualism).

Read the Proclamation to the Family -- look for the keyword "gender". Perhaps the primary issue is whether you would be eligible to hold the priesthood, which is a difficult issue that only the FP would be able to address. You can actively participate in the church, with some limitations, until a decision is made -- with the same rights as a non-member. You also need to be prepared to devote yourself to one specific gender, and devote yourself to that role for many decades to demonstrate your commitment to that gender, and to participation in the church.

Edited by cdowis

Read the Proclamation to the Family -- look for the keyword "gender". Perhaps the primary issue is whether you would be eligible to hold the priesthood, which is a difficult issue that only the FP would be able to address. You can actively participate in the church, with some limitations, until a decision is made -- with the same rights as a non-member. You also need to be prepared to devote yourself to one specific gender, and devote yourself to that role for many decades to demonstrate your commitment to that gender, and to participation in the church.

Which restrictions or limitations? I "may" have myself questioned so long (which can last very long); until a priesthood leader ask the first presidency, whether I may be baptized. With normal members it is not necessary. And, if I then were baptized, I might never go to the temple neither for me nor my ancestors. You see, these are not small restrictions and limitations. And still something: It would be demanded by me to live celebracy; and never marry a man (I would never do this because I am lesbian); since the church still considers me a "man".

Expressed differently: The church does not appreciate transsexualism. And that is the problem, not a former transsexualism.

I have by the way read the proclamation. It seemed very "old-fashioned" to me.

I have made nothing wrong! I have treated only an illness (transsexualism).

The Church does not always see things the same way as an individual does. There are those who do not see adultery as wrong for instance because love justifies everything in their view.

But as Pa Pa stated, this forum is not for debate and this topic probably needs to be taken to the main forum. Do you want it discussed there? You will need 25 posts to start a topic yourself there.

http://www.lds.org/t.../abuse?lang=eng

Abuse is the treatment of others or self in a way that causes injury or offense. It harms the mind and the spirit and often injures the body as well. It can cause confusion, doubt, mistrust, and fear. It is a violation of the laws of society and is in total opposition to the teachings of the Savior. The Lord condemns abusive behavior in any form—physical, sexual, verbal, or emotional. Abusive behavior may lead to Church discipline.

Additional Information

Those who have been abusive in any relationship are urged to repent of their sin, to plead with the Lord for forgiveness, and to ask for forgiveness from those who have been harmed. Those who have been abusive should also speak with their bishop or branch president so he can help them through the repentance process and, if necessary, help them receive additional counseling or other assistance. Part of the repentance process may also include accepting whatever penalties are imposed by law.

Victims of abuse should seek help immediately, normally from their bishop or branch president. His first responsibility is to help those who have been abused and to protect those who may be vulnerable to future abuse.

Victims of abuse should be assured that they are not to blame for the harmful behavior of others. They do not need to feel guilt. If they have been a victim of rape or other sexual abuse, whether they have been abused by an acquaintance, a stranger, or even a family member, victims of sexual abuse are not guilty of sexual sin.

Victims of abuse can seek help from their priesthood leader to guide them through the process of emotional healing. Through the blessings of the gospel, victims of abuse can stop the cycle of abuse and be freed from the suffering they have experienced.

Unfortunately not all leaders respond as they should to accusations of abuse. The Church has established a hotline to help prevent this from happening now and in the future, but the past where mistakes have been made and sins committed can only be remedied by Christ through his Atonement which can provide the healing the victims need and deserve so much.

Edited by calmoriah