Seriously No Politics ×

Anti-Mormonism In Russia

Sky

Somewhere Hitler is flipping cartwheels in his grave at the idea that his ideology is catching on amongst the racially degenerate Russians.

Those are the moderate ones. In one town I ran into a bunch of those who were quite open about their Hitler adulation.

Ironically, Hitler himself was heavily influenced by certain Russian emigres.

It got really bad in the days leading up to the US presidential elections. I'm surprised this is only now making the news.

When we were there in 95 it wasn't all that pretty. Poor missionaries getting spat on by little old ladies.

IIRC it was Lebed who attempted then to classify LDS as a cult and get them kicked out, but he later recanted.

Found this: http://articles.latimes.com/1996-07-19/news/mn-25727_1_mormon-mission

I have to confess that I don't see why they feel a need to protest a group of a measly 19,946 in a country of 140,041,000. It probably has mostly to do with them seeing us as a strictly American church.

Don't they have bigger problems to worry about than the Mormons?

Pro-Putin youths: Mormons, go home

Putin is trying to re-assert control over the Church in Russia again. This is what is going on...

Putin is trying to re-assert control over the Church in Russia again. This is what is going on...

Putin is very closely allied with the Russian Orthodox Church. The current patriarch gets away with almost anything. Historically, the ROC has been an apparatus of state for a very long time. It is practically written into their theology, so they and Putin are a natural choice for each other. Both are concerned at the growth of not only our church, but also the JWs, and the various protestant denominations. More and more people are becoming dissatisfied with the rampant and unashamed greed in the church, baptisms, for example, can be extremely pricey. Most people have to save up for months to afford one for their child.

Earlier this year, there was a stinging parody of some of those practices. Not an anti-religious parody by any means. It ended with the "angel of light" verse from Corinthians.

Putin is very closely allied with the Russian Orthodox Church. The current patriarch gets away with almost anything. Historically, the ROC has been an apparatus of state for a very long time. It is practically written into their theology, so they and Putin are a natural choice for each other. Both are concerned at the growth of not only our church, but also the JWs, and the various protestant denominations. More and more people are becoming dissatisfied with the rampant and unashamed greed in the church, baptisms, for example, can be extremely pricey. Most people have to save up for months to afford one for their child.

Earlier this year, there was a stinging parody of some of those practices. Not an anti-religious parody by any means. It ended with the "angel of light" verse from Corinthians.

[media=]

For this, I wish I had put more time into learning Russia (long story but basically my untreated disorder resulted in depression which doesn't help with being motivated to pick up a language on one's own, I was quite satisfied that we all came away more or less healthy and slightly better off financially and a whole lot more grateful for what we had been given).

Somewhere Hitler is flipping cartwheels in his grave at the idea that his ideology is catching on amongst the racially degenerate Russians.

No kidding!! The former Soviet Union lost upwards of 25 million people, irreplaceable cultural monuments and artifacts, and billions in destroyed property as a direct result of Adolph Hitler. And yet, Hitler is far more popular in the former Soviet countries than he is anywhere else in the world. Neo-Nazism is a viable political force in Russia.

Who would have thought that could ever occur?

Mormons are getting a bad rap in Russia in the same vein as Jews, Chinese, Buddhists, Muslims, GLBTs, and anything or anyone that does fit neatly into a rigid view of what it is to be Russian.

Da...:)

This is funny. The Putinjugend (of all people) calling us (of all people) "totalitarian?"

Of course it helps that they have useful idiots like that Mason fellow assuring the world that he personally knows that the Church really is "totalitarian;" having first redefined "totalitarian" so that it means something entirely unlike what the rest of us think it means.

I have to wonder just how "spontaneous" these "protests" are. Are they really just expressions of how people feel at the time, or are they following the orders of their Fuhrer?

And what, precisely, is it that they are "protesting?" The fact that Latter-day Saints in Russia have freedom of worship, or the fact that they have the temerity to exercise it?

Regards,

Pahoran

I have to wonder just how "spontaneous" these "protests" are. Are they really just expressions of how people feel at the time, or are they following the orders of their Fuhrer?

If there are no cracked skulls and dozens of arrests, it isn't a spontaneous protest.

If there are no cracked skulls and dozens of arrests, it isn't a spontaneous protest.

The people who start them know just how well organized they are...btw the America people know what is going on, and Russia's contempt for anything they cannot control. This of course includes Israel...whom I stand with.

And what, precisely, is it that they are "protesting?" The fact that Latter-day Saints in Russia have freedom of worship, or the fact that they have the temerity to exercise it?

We are just an obvious American symbol to pick on. We give them too much credit if we expect their ideas to be coherent.

The people who start them know just how well organized they are...btw the America people know what is going on, and Russia's contempt for anything they cannot control. This of course includes Israel...whom I stand with.

You hold more faith in the American people then I do. I am not sure I know what is going on. If I, a perfect specimen of the master race, do not know what is going on it is unlikely anyone else does.

And what does Israel have to do with it?

You hold more faith in the American people then I do. I am not sure I know what is going on. If I, a perfect specimen of the master race, do not know what is going on it is unlikely anyone else does.

The official (and to a large extent, unofficial) stance towards Israel is very negative. A lot of it has to do with the markets for Russia's arms trade. Pa Pa got it right.

Control...of his side of the world. To be far he hates Islam as well.

The official (and to a large extent, unofficial) stance towards Israel is very negative. A lot of it has to do with the markets for Russia's arms trade. Pa Pa got it right.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day...I'll take it. I would give my life defending four things, my Family, My Faith, my Country and Israel.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day...I'll take it. I would give my life defending four things, my Family, My Faith, my Country and Israel.

I would switch out Israel and replace it with my own life. I love the Holy Land. I just do not think much of the nation that currently occupies the real estate.

I would switch out Israel and replace it with my own life. I love the Holy Land. I just do not think much of the nation that currently occupies the real estate.

That is where we certainly part ways. As much as I love the physical land of my birth, I love my nation more.

If you or family ever have the chance to visit, I'll make sure you have somewhere to stay for free.

Archived