The Worst Kind Of Sunday

This is only my experience and mean no intent to generalize it to include anyone but myself.

I have decided that the worst kind of Sunday is Fast Sunday that somehow ends up being the combined meeting of Priesthood and Relief Society.

Fast Sunday drives me crazy because it is more like story telling hour and it's even worse if you heard the story earlier that week because you're friends with the person now sharing it in testimony meeting.

As for the combined meeting, I have yet to sit in on such a meeting where it wasn't mundane and the 45-50 minutes didn't feel like 2 hours of Stake Conference.

Just thought I'd share. I'll get off my soap box now.

I LOVE the combine RS/Priesthood meetings on the 5th Sunday. I have been to a couple of boring ones but 90% are the best meetings of the month. Our last one was a presentation by the Primary Presidency on teaching and loving children and it was so good.

I have decided that the worst kind of Sunday is Fast Sunday that somehow ends up being the combined meeting of Priesthood and Relief Society.

As for the combined meeting, I have yet to sit in on such a meeting where it wasn't mundane and the 45-50 minutes didn't feel like 2 hours of Stake Conference.

Hi Valentinus...

Never ceases to amaze me how numerous of us can have such different experiences in our wards... I enjoy the combined meeting... and Stake Conference is always worthwhile... of course our stake president is really terrific... last week he spoke in our ward and you could have heard a pin drop people were so intent on what he was saying. He's a humble man, but his talks are quietly powerful.

I just find it so interesting the difference in experience and attitudes expressed here on the Board...

from the beach... cottage still standing sturdy and secure although trees down all around my neighborhood... mine thankfully did not fall though we sustained gusts 70-80 mph.

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

The biggest reason I like the combined Sundays is because I have more time to sit near my wife. I also think the lessons tend to be a lot more interesting (plus I've given my share of them in the past).

OTOH, I frequently dread Fast & Testimony meetings.

Edited by volgadon

The biggest reason I like the combined Sundays is because I have more time to sit near my wife. I also think the lessons tend to be a lot more interesting (plus I've given my share of them in the past).

OTOH, I frequently dread Fast & Testimony meetings.

When I use to attend with my wife, I enjoyed sitting near my wife. I just didn't care for F&T meetings and regularly missed EQ. I'm sure it would have been different if I was actually a member though. I just wanted to be with my wife.

We don't have combined PH/RS meetings where I'm at. Could this be because of local leaders being unaware of this policy, or is this an "optional" tradition? We only have it on fifth Sundays. (Yeah, I'm new here).

We only have it on 5th Sundays as well.

I believe my grandmother would have said "It's not a drive, it's a short putt."

Excellent return.

Now, as to combined meeting, we do it only on the 5th sunday, and I have assiduously avoided it. Except now that my wife is no longer in Primary, I will be attending it. Darn.

And I know some feel differently, but I really enjoy the testimonies on Fast Sunday. Usually we don't get a lot of travelogues.

Excellent return.

Now, as to combined meeting, we do it only on the 5th sunday, and I have assiduously avoided it. Except now that my wife is no longer in Primary, I will be attending it. Darn.

And I know some feel differently, but I really enjoy the testimonies on Fast Sunday. Usually we don't get a lot of travelogues.

It seems that the majority of people here like one or the other or like them both.

I'm always a dang minority!!

Edited by Valentinus

I think you would have liked our ward's 5th Sunday combined meetings, Valentinus. We've had "anything goes" Q&As, notes from meetings with apostles, pressing topics specific to the ward, and we even had Dan Peterson do our 5th Sunday combined meeting once (my first counselor brought him to our state to do a stake community fireside on Book of Mormon evidences, and he and his wife attended our full block with us).

When I presented at the 2009 FAIR Conference in Germany, we did a fireside in Strasbourg, France that Sunday, so we stayed in Offenburg (on the French/German border). Sunday happened to be the 5th Sunday, and the branch president (who had been to the FAIR Conference), asked me to give my presentation for the combined PH/RS meeting.

Good times! :)

This is only my experience and mean no intent to generalize it to include anyone but myself.

Fast Sunday drives me crazy because it is more like story telling hour and it's even worse if you heard the story earlier that week because you're friends with the person now sharing it in testimony meeting.

I hear ya...not my favorite either.

I usually don't care for some F&T meetings that are like a soap box. But todays was a mighty beautiful time with one of the testimonies being from a young boy who has special needs and stood at the pulpit and started to cry when he said how another special needs boy in the ward, who can't walk or talk, would smile at him all the time, and how it made him feel. Priceless!

Edited by Tacenda

A sister in our ward who will receive her mission call any day now brought a friend to church. He went up and bore his testimony, near the end (she later told us that he had asked her if he could go up, and she said, "Sure"). He was very articulate and sincere and told of his drug addiction and rehab experience, and the fact that there was no way he could have overcome that without God. And that's how he knows that God exists and can help us ---- because he has felt that in his life (he stated he has been sober for over a year now).

It was very refreshing, because it was sincere and didn't have the usual cadence or formulaic construction. Not that many of ours weren't sincere, but the cadence and formula can make it seem mechanical.

It was very refreshing, because it was sincere and didn't have the usual cadence or formulaic construction. Not that many of ours weren't sincere, but the cadence and formula can make it seem mechanical.

I think that's the hardest part about testimony meeting, and i think it's why so many people resort to telling stories or sharing scriptures-it's really hard to sound sincere and heartfelt when you are essentially going to say the exact same thing that the last 20 people just said.

We all want to express ourselves, but we also want our expressions to be unique in a way, because they are, after all, uniquely ours and we are trying to talk about things that are sacred and holy to us. But, most of us have also grown up and been 'taught' a cultural voice and cadence when speaking in sacrament meeting and if all we say is 'I know this and this and this are true' and sit down, it really can sound mechanical.

Try conducting testimony meeting every third month for 8 years! Some months, you just don't "feel it" ----- not your testimony, but bearing it in testimony meeting. And the bishopric member whose turn it is has to, anyway. It's hard to sound sincere when you just don't feel like it (again, not your testimony itself, but "having to" bear it ---- sometimes you just don't feel like it).

I always try to explain what I know and believe, and specifically why I know and believe them (like the non-member young adult this Sunday I mentioned).

I think the meetings would be better if we didn't have them every month, but that decision is way above any of our pay grades.

How does it go in Relief Society? Don't they get a double dose on fast Sunday (in R.S. meeting as well as sacrament meeting)?

Try conducting testimony meeting every third month for 8 years! Some months, you just don't "feel it" ----- not your testimony, but bearing it in testimony meeting. And the bishopric member whose turn it is has to, anyway. It's hard to sound sincere when you just don't feel like it (again, not your testimony itself, but "having to" bear it ---- sometimes you just don't feel like it).

I always try to explain what I know and believe, and specifically why I know and believe them (like the non-member young adult this Sunday I mentioned).

I think the meetings would be better if we didn't have them every month, but that decision is way above any of our pay grades.

How does it go in Relief Society? Don't they get a double dose on fast Sunday (in R.S. meeting as well as sacrament meeting)?

It really depends on the RS. Some hardly ever remember to do a testimony sharing part of the meeting and others plan like 15 minutes and most of it is spent sitting in silence. What's nice about it is that you do tend to get sisters who will bear their testimony who would never do it in a large group like sacrament. Plus, most of the time in RS, you know the personal struggles of the sisters so i think it's easier to feel the spirit, because it's so easy to relate to what the sister is saying, and the sister can be more personal and really bare her soul without feeling like she's sharing with the whole world.

I can so understand 'not feeling it'. Sometimes you just don't want to go there, emotionally speaking. It's not fun when you have to.

Edited by bluebell

Well this Sunday I bore my testimony... I usually do so once every couple of months... this time was a little different.

People had been going up to the podium to share their testimonies as usual, when suddenly a brother stood up where he was seated in the congregation instead of going to the podium.. Turns out he is the inactive son of one of our widowed former RS presidents. Of course this surprised people and most turned around to see who was speaking. He gave a testimony of how he is starting to reactivate after many years... how he had never really lost all of his testimony even though inactive... how thankful he is that his widowed mother is in our ward (we do take care of each other as I as a widow can attest). It was very moving to hear his testimony..

When he sat down, I then stood up where I was seated... Of course, everyone again turned to look at me... I turned toward him and told him, Brother, you remind me of me... I continued, remembering how it was in Sept 1995 that I walked through the back door of the chapel for the first time in over 30 years (except for the couple of weeks I took my dad to Church in So Cal after my mom died suddenly a few weeks previously). I told how it was a Fast Sunday... and how the last time I had attended a F&Tmeeting people just stood up where they were sitting and so that's what I did that day in 1995 as I stood to share my testimony. I told how through the years I had been prompted from time to time to return to Church but had not heeded those promptings for all those years... and how after starting all over studying, praying, fasting, pondering, my testimony came roaring back and so there I was, standing before them on Sunday, 17 years after that time when I found the courage to walk through those doors by myself into the Chapel.

from the beach on a blustery, rainy day... waiting for "high winds" to return tonight with gusts to 60+ mph.

GG

Edited by Garden Girl