Organizing Photos

MorningStar

My photos on my computer have become such a mess! Somehow I got lots of duplicates in different folders, but it's hard to find them all. I was reading about something called Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder, which is a free download. Have any of you used it? I've been working on organizing everything for quite a few hours and am nervous I will delete some things I didn't mean to. Some of my files have the same name, but different photos, so I can't delete based on names. I need a program that will recognize the photos by what they look like.

I also want to erase my external hard drive and start over with only one copy of each picture. :D When we needed the back-up folder, it was ridiculously difficult to restore everything. We couldn't get the automatic restore to work, so I had to go into hundreds of zipped files and extract them. I will have to find a better way to back everything up. We only want to back up documents, pictures, videos, etc. Our automatic back-up had tons of duplicates in there too!

I'm also going to buy a new hard drive just for music and put all of my husband's CD's on it for Christmas. :D

Any helpful tips?

I don't know of any program that recognizes images but I am surprised you have more than one picture with the same file name.

Not unusual as long as they reside in different folders. I do taxes and I have files with the same name in different client folders. They do not contain the same info but do have the same name.

Edited by ERayR

Yes, like with our videos, if the computer thinks they're new when we insert the memory card, it will add them to the folder and give them a different name.