Seriously No Politics ×

Mormon Specific Thanksgiving Traditions

Saints Alive

I'm going to try to start a tradition with my kids this year. I read it in the Readers Digest. I think I'll first ask them to think of a time when someone did something for them and made them feel thankful have them share it on Thursday. And then come Thanksgiving have them share what they thought of. After they go around with their stories I want to give each of them 20 - 50 dollars and ask them to give it to someone in need. They could even surprise someone in a store and pay the bill or many, many things could be done with the money. Then when we get together again around Christmas time, have them share what they did. Hopefully this will be a lasting tradition.

As I was listening to the Bishopric speak on thanksgiving this year, it occurred to me that it's interesting and possibly profound that in the middle of our Harvest festivals (Samhain, Thanksgiving, etc. ) is the day we honor our veterans. I don't know what it means yet.

I'm going to try to start a tradition with my kids this year. I read it in the Readers Digest. I think I'll first ask them to think of a time when someone did something for them and made them feel thankful have them share it on Thursday. And then come Thanksgiving have them share what they thought of. After they go around with their stories I want to give each of them 20 - 50 dollars and ask them to give it to someone in need. They could even surprise someone in a store and pay the bill or many, many things could be done with the money. Then when we get together again around Christmas time, have them share what they did. Hopefully this will be a lasting tradition.

We do something similar for Christmas at our house (with our extended family).

My mother has a nativity set and each year after thanksgiving, we each take a piece of the set (as the family has grown, we've had to add a few more barn animals and shepherds), until everything is gone except the baby Jesus. Then, sometime between then and Christmas Eve we each do some kind of service and on Christmas Eve, we each take our piece of the set and put it back into place, sharing what our service was, as our 'gift' to the Savior (like the way the wisemen brought gifts, kind of thing). We've been doing it for almost 10 years i think and its so much fun, especially getting hear what everyone else did.

I bet your children will love your idea and it will become a great tradition in your home. :)

I've tried it. Let's just say it beats not eating at all, but not by much. Every man(woman) to their own taste preferences.

I've never tried it but if it is like other nonmeat imitations I can imagine it tastes nothing like turkey. I actually like some veggie burgers but not because they taste like a real burger. You have to go into it realizing that it wont taste like what it says it tastes like.

I've never tried it but if it is like other nonmeat imitations I can imagine it tastes nothing like turkey. I actually like some veggie burgers but not because they taste like a real burger. You have to go into it realizing that it wont taste like what it says it tastes like.

Good call. Better not to go into it with any expectations.

It just needs to be prepared right. I'm tempted to go vegan because I had the most amazing vegan food last night and it was more flavorful than anything I remembered having that had meat in it.

I don't have anything against going vegetarian. I'm largely vegetarian now(I do like the occasional Rib Eye steak cooked to medium doneness.) but vegan is just too much for me.