My Three Years As An Investigator

peteolcott

I have been going to my local LDS church for at least three years. During this time my testimony has grown.

Six months ago I testified that I am sufficiently convinced that the LDS Church is the most righteous church on Earth.

I am also convinced that Joseph Smith and Thomas S. Monson are true prophets of God, and the Book of Mormon and other LDS scripture make details of correct doctrine more clear and complete.

Several of the unique doctrines on the LDS Church have been confirmed in my heart by the Holy Spirit long before I ever encountered my first LDS member or read any LDS scripture. This by itself confirms to me that we are hearing the same voice.

The key reason for my conviction that the LDS Church is the most righteous church on Earth is that I have never experienced the slightest degree of unkindness from any LDS members in this whole time.

More recently my testimony has grown even more. I now testify that the reason for this nearly perfectly consistent loving kindness is that the LDS Church has the full authority from God.

From what I understand this authority comes only through the priesthood.

This first break in this loving kindness came yesterday on a forum such as this. Someone of this other forum said something to me that was very unkind and unloving.

The kindness or lack thereof is not something to build your testimony on, unfortunatly. My wife was an investigator for over a year because of that. You have to remember that this is an Internet forum as well.

This is the reason why I always use my full real name in every forurm that I ever reply to:

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/ces-devotionals/2012/01/what-e-er-thou-art-act-well-thy-part-avoid-wearing-masks-that-hide-identity?lang=eng

Perhaps it is the anonymity of internet forums that let people think it is OK to be a little more unkind than they otherwise would be with the full accountability of their true identity.

There are jerks in every religion. It's important to remember that the members of Christ's true church won't be perfect. Members of the LDS church need the Atonement just as much as anyone else.

I don't find that it is really all that hard to avoid being mean in anything that I say, do, or think, especially when this (and expressing loving kindness) is provided as my single-minded focus of all righteousness.

I don't find that it is really all that hard to avoid being mean in anything that I say, do, or think, especially when this (and expressing loving kindness) is provided as my single-minded focus of all righteousness.

There's never justification for being mean. I'm just saying that having your testimony on the LDS church built upon whether or not every member is always nice to you would be problematic. Even the 12 apostles got mad at each other sometimes-it didn't mean that they weren't good men or that their cause wasn't of God.

There's never justification for being mean. I'm just saying that having your testimony on the LDS church built upon whether or not every member is always nice to you would be problematic. Even the 12 apostles got mad at each other sometimes-it didn't mean that they weren't good men or that their cause wasn't of God.

Maybe this is true:

Because of the way I was treated at a Pentecostal Church that I attended for a decade, God knows that nothing much less than nearly perfect loving kindness will be sufficient for me.

Maybe if everyone would make {Love One Another} their single-minded focus of all righteousness more people would become united in Christ?

don't chuck out three years of investigating for one comment made some dunderhead

The only reason that I can avoid counting this against my testimony is that the person that said this did not have priesthood authority behind what they said.

Maybe this is true:

Because of the way I was treated at a Pentecostal Church that I attended for a decade, God knows that nothing much less than nearly perfect loving kindness will be sufficient for me.

Maybe if everyone would make {Love One Another} their single-minded focus of all righteousness more people would become united in Christ?

perhaps in a perfect world... But for now we have to deal with the hand we are given. We have to do our best and forgive those who trespass against us as we wish to be forgiven. We must make small steps toward perfection.

perhaps in a perfect world... But for now we have to deal with the hand we are given. We have to do our best and forgive those who trespass against us as we wish to be forgiven. We must make small steps toward perfection.

I don't think that making {Love One Another} the single-minded focus (and measure) of all righteousness would require a perfect world to achieve.

I do think that it may be the first step in the process of transforming this world into a more perfect world.

I have been going to my local LDS church for at least three years. During this time my testimony has grown.

Six months ago I testified that I am sufficiently convinced that the LDS Church is the most righteous church on Earth.

I am also convinced that Joseph Smith and Thomas S. Monson are true prophets of God, and the Book of Mormon and other LDS scripture make details of correct doctrine more clear and complete.

Several of the unique doctrines on the LDS Church have been confirmed in my heart by the Holy Spirit long before I ever encountered my first LDS member or read any LDS scripture. This by itself confirms to me that we are hearing the same voice.

The key reason for my conviction that the LDS Church is the most righteous church on Earth is that I have never experienced the slightest degree of unkindness from any LDS members in this whole time.

More recently my testimony has grown even more. I now testify that the reason for this nearly perfectly consistent loving kindness is that the LDS Church has the full authority from God.

From what I understand this authority comes only through the priesthood.

This first break in this loving kindness came yesterday on a forum such as this. Someone of this other forum said something to me that was very unkind and unloving.

Yes, well I know what you are talking about. I almost quit the church over some unkind things said on an LDS forum. However, as I thought about it and how the people in MY ward treated me, I realized that some people on the Internet just say unkind things because they know they will not have to face the other person face to face, at least right away.

Please save yourself a lot of pain and just go with how people in your ward treat you. :)