Seriously No Politics ×

Finally Moving To Utah And Need Suggestions

auteur55

Hello Everyone, I haven't been on this site in a while. I found a job offer in Utah and I'm seriously considering taking it and going out. It would just be me and my 4 yr old daughter. Obviously finding a place to live while in Ohio is difficult. I want to get in a nice community with lots of good neighbors and kids for my daughter to play with. I can live anywhere in Northern Utah and for some reason have been looking at Layton. Can anyone give me some good suggestions as to where to go and where to stay away from? Anywhere in Layton to not go? Thanks for the help!

Layton is a wealthier area? I'm in my mid 30's single with a 4 year old. Where should someone like me look?

where you job is, and as close to your work place as possible - this will make it easier on you and your daughter to spend time together.

Or if you must live far from your employer find a day care in the town of your employer so you two can have the time together in the commute.

Hello Everyone, I haven't been on this site in a while. I found a job offer in Utah and I'm seriously considering taking it and going out. It would just be me and my 4 yr old daughter. Obviously finding a place to live while in Ohio is difficult. I want to get in a nice community with lots of good neighbors and kids for my daughter to play with. I can live anywhere in Northern Utah and for some reason have been looking at Layton. Can anyone give me some good suggestions as to where to go and where to stay away from? Anywhere in Layton to not go? Thanks for the help!

Long time no see. I always liked the southern area of Utah better, but you go where the job is. Best of luck.

I live in Kaysville and nearby is Farmington, both very good areas with great schools. Layton borders Kaysville and Farmington borders Kaysville. Some parts of Layton can be scary. I'm a sub teacher and most , not all, are title 1 schools. My sister lives in East Layton and there are some good neighborhoods. The drawback of Layton is the constant jets flying overhead. With Hill Air Force in Layton. I'd be happy to check on neighborhoods/schools if you need me to. Edited by Tacenda

Don't do it!!!

Seriously though best of luck to you.

Hello Aueteur55,

From the cities you have listed it appears that you are interested in living north of Salt Lake and south of Ogden am I correct? Most of the communities along the Wasatch front have followed similar paths over the last few decades. All of the original growth was concentrated near the railroad lines, which later become virtually the same corridor used for the the I-15 freeway. Most of the communities found directly on either side of the freeway are older and have started to experience some urban decay. It does not mean they are bad areas necessarily (although there are some bad areas), but they are older communities. Traditionally the wealthier neighborhoods were all located along the East Benches, and this is still true to some extent, although some of the bench communities are also starting to show their age. Most of the new growth in recent years has been focused to the west of Layton in Syracuse and West Point, and to the west of Ogden in Weber County. These locations have very large numbers of new subdivisions with young children, and are very nice areas, but they are probably also more expensive because they are new construction.

Ogden does indeed have some bad areas, but it does also have some extremely nice areas. Ogden was a very large railroad hub in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and the infrastructure grow around it to support it. As the railroad's prominence declined Ogden began to suffer from the inevitable urban blight, and most of the growth moved away from the city center. There have been revitalization projects there in recent years that have greatly improved things, but there are still some areas that are in need of more revitalization. The areas around Ogden and even the Ogden benches are still quite nice though.

As a rule of thumb when looking for places I would look to see how far away it is from the freeway. If it is close to the freeway on either side it is probably older and may need a closer inspection of the area. If it is up on the east bench it is probably nice, but may be a little older. If it is farther west of the freeway it is probably newer (or an old farm house), but may be more expensive. These are only general rules and I'm sure there are many exceptions to them. As you mentioned I would probably stay away from downtown Ogden, but there are communities to the north, south, east and west of Ogden that I could recommend.

Edited by guerreiro9

Layton is a fine area. I am unaware of any "scary" places to live in Layton. Layton is a weathly area compared to Ogden. Ogden for the most part is a dump and I could not wait to move out of there. Ogden definately has some scary parts of town. Farmington is nice too but is even more wealthy than Layton. The general rule is the closer to Salt Lake you are the more wealthy you have to be to live there. So bountiful would cost even more than Kaysville\Farmington. Layton would be even less and Ogden would be the least expesnive. Layton is a nice area with lots of nice neighbor hoods to live in. The best part about Ogden is the food. The commute to Salt Lake has gotten a lot better in recent years.

Were is your work going to be located? Have you considered living south of Salt Lake? There are lots of great communites south. Just be prepared to pay a bit more money for a house. I live about 20 mins south of Salt Lake. I would say that the housing cost is about the same as Layton. Anyway good luck. Ill check this thread in a few days to see if you have responded.

You are probably aware (but in case you are not) nearly the entire area you mentioned is available on Street View in Google Maps. Pick a city and take a walk around :D. There really aren't any areas that are too bad especially compared to other urban parts of the country, although Ogden does have a few less desirable locations. If you have any more information you are willing to share we can probably help you zero in on a location that will be great for you and your daughter. I grew up in the area, and although I no longer live there I still look upon it very fondly. I still have family in the area that I will be visiting for Thanksgiving, and your questions have gotten me very excited for the visit!

I watched my 1 yr. old great nephew the other day and asked my nephews wife if they'd ever want to move back to her hometown near Gilroy CA. They are living in Farmington. And even though both their families are still there she said she'd like to raise her son in a wholesome environment and stay where they're at. She's not even LDS and my nephew is inactive. That says alot when they are willing to forgo living near both sets of parents and they are close to them emotionally. I guess I didn't realize how good I've had it! I attribute alot of it to the high rate of the population being LDS. So the one drawback is it's not as diverse as Layton and Ogden.

Don't do it. Nothing good can come out of Utah except college sports wins from the U and Utah State, SUU and its Shaekesperean Festival, Sunstone/Dialogue and maybe John Huntsman. Other than that, you should see if there is a better city.

My son lived in Ogden for 7 years...he liked it. My Stake President and close friend loved growing up in Brigham City, which will soon have a Temple. However living in Utah you are always close to a Temple.

Thanks so much for all the responses. It is really difficult looking for a place from Ohio. Even if I decide I want to go to Farmington when I look online for rentals I have no idea what side of the neighborhood it's on. The reason i'm looking at Northern Utah is my job has me covering everything North of salt lake. That means I can live anywhere North of Salt Lake so I do have some options. I thought Layton Farmington area would be nicely centralized in the territory. I've never understood the criticism of Utah. I only lived there for two years and I know I probably need more exposure but honestly I thought it was the closest i've ever gotten to living in Zion. I didn't experience the judgemental, extremist side of Utah mormons I always hear about out here. My neighborhood was full of incredibly caring, wonderful people who all took care of each other. I also adore the mountains, the atmosphere and seeing temples everywhere so the anti-Utah crowd has always bewildered me.

My neighborhood was full of incredibly caring, wonderful people who all took care of each other.
Our ward is that way too. Just wonderful though I have heard that the YW have been a bit of a problem for a few years in the past. Sometimes you just get a combination of youth that doesn't work well together.