Seriously No Politics ×

Does God Vote?

Mark Beesley

From the Deseret News last week, a report on Glenn Beck stumping for Romney:

"As perhaps the best-known Mormon after the Republican presidential candidate and a major influence on evangelical Christians," Amy Chozick wrote, "Mr. Beck has emerged as an unlikely theological bridge between the first Mormon presidential nominee and a critical electorate. … Mostly Mr. Beck has helped Mr. Romney by directly addressing his devout Mormon faith, something the candidate himself rarely does. 'I believe Mr. Romney prays on his knees every day,' Mr. Beck said recently on his radio program. 'I believe he is being guided.' He has also said that a Romney victory would be 'a sign from God.’ ”

If a Romney victory would have been a sign from God, does Beck believe that Romney's defeat is also a sign from God? If not, why not? Do you agree with Beck? Does God play partisan politics? I mean, really, He doesn't play football, and that is much more momentous. :)

If a Romney victory would have been a sign from God, does Beck believe that Romney's defeat is also a sign from God? If not, why not? Do you agree with Beck? Does God play partisan politics? I mean, really, He doesn't play football, and that is much more momentous. :)

Instead of asking pointless question you can go to the Blaze or to Glenn's website. He has talked about what he thinks it (the election) means.

I have no idea what Glenn was thinking when he said what he did. I doub't very much so that he has that same view now.

This is just to start mud slinging.

I really just don't care anymore.

I don't think God swings elections. But I surely know He could guide and inspire candidates as they seek His help in doing good. The Book of Mormon's note that it is not common that the voice of the people want evil, suggests that He knows all about elections but humans effect their own political destinations.

I'd bet money that Romney's prayers were for our country, and for his ability to be of service to his country and his fellow men.

I never agree with Mr. Beck.

I never agree with Mr. Beck.

That's funny. You're both members of the same Church, and would presumably bear testimony of many of the same things if the opportunity presented itself for you to do so. ;)

P.S. I seldom agree with Brother Reid, but I never say never!

Instead of asking pointless question you can go to the Blaze or to Glenn's website. He has talked about what he thinks it (the election) means.

I have no idea what Glenn was thinking when he said what he did. I doub't very much so that he has that same view now.

This is just to start mud slinging.

I really just don't care anymore.

It's not a pointless question, it's a rhetorical question aimed at those who seem to think that Glenn Beck offers a rational voice to the national dialogue.

rpn and TSS both gave good responses.

1. Elections are about exercising freedom; and

2. Glenn Beck cannot be taken seriously.

I listened to Beck's comments from yesterday, and what did it boil down to? A plea for money.

I also listened this morning to comments President Obama made to his campaign workers.

Listening to each of these gentlemen speak caused certain feelings. I'm not going to assert that they were feelings inspired by the Holy Spirit, but they were feelings that inspired on the one hand discomfort, unease, and contention, and on the other hand, hope and gratitude.

Now, I am absolutely certain that others could listen to the very same comments and have entirely different visceral responses. And as I thought about it, I wondered why, and I have an answer, at least for me.

The Lord does not care so much that we are left or right, liberal or conservative. He cares that we are principled, and that whatever politics we choose to embrace, we do so out of a desire to serve Him through service to His children. Those on the right may believe that service is best rendered through trickle-down economics. Those on the left may believe that service is best rendered through expansion of the safety net and social programs to assist the needy. The Lord doesn't care which model we choose to support, so long as we are motivated out of a sense of love for His children.

So, don't quit caring, MRSR. The Lord wants us all to care.

I have no idea what Glenn was thinking when he said what he did.

I did not know Glenn Beck did any thinking.

And the vote? It's not a sign from anyone but the electorate. And if it is, God sure wants gay people to get hitched and people as a whole to destress with a little weed.

What does it mean when those surrounding you would be flabbergasted if you voted with your heart? I voted Jill Stein and won't dare admit it to a soul in my family or in my neighborhood for fear I'd be lynched. Am I so rotten for not voting in Romney or Obama? I do wish now we'd have gotten the chance to see what Romney could do. And now I get excited for Obama to spruce up the White House and make real change. But am I still free in America without getting the rath from others when they might think I've caused the world to end quicker by not voting according to the rest here in Utah? I'm scared to death that someone will ask me who I voted for. Will I stand up and be proud of my vote or duck my head in shame. Anyone else have this scenerio? And wouldn't HF be disappointed?

What does it mean when those surrounding you would be flabbergasted if you voted with your heart? I voted Jill Stein and won't dare admit it to a soul in my family or in my neighborhood for fear I'd be lynched. Am I so rotten for not voting in Romney or Obama? I do wish now we'd have gotten the chance to see what Romney could do. And now I get excited for Obama to spruce up the White House and make real change. But am I still free in America without getting the rath from others when they might think I've caused the world to end quicker by not voting according to the rest here in Utah? I'm scared to death that someone will ask me who I voted for. Will I stand up and be proud of my vote or duck my head in shame. Anyone else have this scenerio? And wouldn't HF be disappointed?

TSS is right. Always vote your conscience. While my candidate was different than the one you two supported, I also voted my conscience rather than "the lesser of two evils." At least you can look at yourself in the mirror.

Holy Cow!!! That's three of us on the Board who voted for Stein. It's a miracle she didn't win the election!!!

You tell all of your friends, neighbors and family who you voted for. Do so proudly, and dare them to break out of the bondage of the corrupt 2-party system . . . then duck. :)

Archived