Seriously No Politics ×

Mitt Romney Speaking About Mormon Faith (Off The Air)

Nathair/|\

I've seen a couple posts on Facebook accusing Romney of getting "defensive" about his faith in this video. It sounded to me like he was trying to correct misinformation and getting frustrated that the host kept interrupting him.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76voAHku5QQ

What do you think?

Those who fault somebody for "getting defensive" after he has been subject to cheap shots, his words have been twisted, his beliefs mocked, and his buttons pushed are themselves beneath contempt.

That's my "defensive" reaction.

That man really believes

I liked his line, "you really believe you know more about my faith don't you?" A variant of that is one of my go to lines.

Funny thing is, the talk show host responded, "I'm not sure."

What an arrogant twit!

Romney almost walked out on him at that point; he would have been justified in doing so.

Funny thing is, the talk show host responded, "I'm not sure."

What an arrogant twit!

Romney almost walked out on him at that point; he would have been justified in doing so.

So.... is it correct to presume that people who hold a certain belief (or experience those beliefs) always "know more" about those beliefs than someone who does not personally share or personally experience those beliefs?

If so, what evidence is there for that assertion?

Daniel2

So.... is it correct to presume that people who hold a certain belief (or experience those beliefs) always "know more" about those beliefs than someone who does not personally share or personally experience those beliefs?

It is in this instance. As Romney pointed out, he is a former bishop and stake president.

It is in this instance. As Romney pointed out, he is a former bishop and stake president.

And what experience or knowledge with Mormonism are you aware that Jan Mickelson has, "in this instance," that allows you to make that comparison?

By default, does personal experience make an individual more of an expert than someone who has never experienced the same condition but may have otherwise learned about it?

Daniel2

And what experience or knowledge with Mormonism are you aware that Jan Mickelson has, "in this instance," that allows you to make that comparison?

By default, does personal experience make an individual more of an expert than someone who has never experienced the same condition but may have otherwise learned about it?

Daniel2

Is there anything in the host's comments that leads you to believe he knows more than Brother Romney about Brother Romney's faith?

I think default position should be a believer is more likely to know more about his/her belief system than someone who does not participate in it, especially if the believer is known to be a long term, highly involved member. That just seems lke common sense to me. If someone wants to argue a stronger knowledge from outside the faith, they should provide evidence beyond just claiming it.

I'm sure Romney knows more about his own faith, but what bothers me about the interaction is his appearance of being somewhat of a hot head. He really could have tried to explain all of that in a much more calm (and kind) tone. The other guy wasn't really going after him. He was open to what he had to say. Romney seems to get frustrated with people very easily. I've noticed that in many of his interactions.

I'm sure Romney knows more about his own faith, but what bothers me about the interaction is his appearance of being somewhat of a hot head. He really could have tried to explain all of that in a much more calm (and kind) tone. The other guy wasn't really going after him. He was open to what he had to say. Romney seems to get frustrated with people very easily. I've noticed that in many of his interactions.

No one that I know of likes to be told what they believe. If the interviewer wanted to know or at least wanted his audience to know what Mr. Romney(or anyone else for that matter) Just ask questions. IE: Mr. Romney what is your personal opinion on abortion? What is your church's position on abortion? Two simple questions. No ruffled feathers, the interviewer is informed, and his audience is informed.

All great men have tempers...one of the crosses they (we all) bear.

All great men have tempers...one of the crosses they (we all) bear.

I don't really think that is true. Thinking of Gandhi, for one...

I think truly great men are generally very thoughtful men...not impulsive and hot headed.

No one that I know of likes to be told what they believe. If the interviewer wanted to know or at least wanted his audience to know what Mr. Romney(or anyone else for that matter) Just ask questions. IE: Mr. Romney what is your personal opinion on abortion? What is your church's position on abortion? Two simple questions. No ruffled feathers, the interviewer is informed, and his audience is informed.

Yes, I agree. But, that doesn't explain or excuse bad behavior in return. Romney just seems a bit impulsive, to me. Not a good quality in a leader (IMHO).

Daniel2

Generally yes.

Hadn't noticed that but I have noticed the arrogance of Mr. O.

Yes, I agree. But, that doesn't explain or excuse bad behavior in return. Romney just seems a bit impulsive, to me. Not a good quality in a leader (IMHO).

Romney was indignant. You've assumed as a given that occasional indignance necessarily constitutes bad behavior or makes one unqualified as a leader but you've not argued that persuasively.

At no time in the recorded exchange as shown

here did Romney behave in an uncivil manner. His responses seemed measured under the circumstances -- not out of control in the least.

Archived