Interesting Article On Michael Quinn

sjdawg

I read that article this morning. I thought it was decently written and decently balanced. Obviously it leaned away from liking the church, but I didn't read a ton in it that I thought was completely wrong, just maybe stuff I had a different viewpoint on.

Fantastic article, I love the way it clearly drums out it theme; the struggles of church historians in the '80s & '90s is the (or has culminated in the) freedom enjoyed by scholars today.

I pray Quinn finds it in his heart to return back to the fold someday.

They did only seem to be able to find pictures of Elders Packer and Oaks when they were frowning, or at least looking rather stern. In contrast Quinn's pictures showed him either smiling or looking sad. No bias at all.

Really? That is what you brought away from the article? Yes, there is some apparent bias, and it isn't coming from the article. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Really? That is what you brought away from the article? Yes, there is some apparent bias, and it isn't coming from the article. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Visually the article was presenting images of Quinn to evoke sympathy for him, while presenting church leaders in an opposite manner. If this was the authors/editors intention, then they accomplished this. If they were trying to present an unbiased story they should have chosen different images.

Reading the article led me to wonder why, by 1993, Quinn would want to be part of the church.

Visually the article was presenting images of Quinn to evoke sympathy for him, while presenting church leaders in an opposite manner. If this was the authors/editors intention, then they accomplished this. If they were trying to present an unbiased story they should have chosen different images.

Reading the article led me to wonder why, by 1993, Quinn would want to be part of the church.

Well, maybe Elder Packer and Elder Oaks ought to just smile more. :)

Seriously, of course the article has a point of view. I mean, it was published on Slate.com for crying out loud. The Ensign has its own bias when it chooses which photos to publish. Every publication does. But to find fault because one doesn't like which particular pictures were chosen is rather shallow. And frankly, had Slate wanted to, I am sure sure are much less flattering photos of Elder Oaks and Elder Packer than one showing them sitting in General Conference.

And I, for one, understand quite well why Quinn would continue to value his membership. One can have an abiding testimony and still struggle with temporal challenges within and without the Church. I suspect Quinn has received some rather powerful witnesses in his life, and those have stayed with him even as he has seemingly wandered. It happens.

Many people are primarily visually focused these days and that is indeed what they will bring away from the article if they focus primarily on the pictures.

Unfortunate, but it is how many interact with the world and I believe that most news outlets should be aware of this and choose photos wisely. Considering the wealth of pictures out there of the apostles, one has to wonder why this one was chosen.

I am a big reader of Slate and enjoy the articles a lot, however I have yet to read an article on Slate about the "Mormon Church" that isn't biased against it. Or if I do, I am not remembering it. I was not surpised by the pictures in the article and thought for Slate, it was pretty unbiased.

I thought Quinn also did a good job of showing he did believe and possibly still believes in the restoration, but just isn't sure of his place within the Church. I think that happens more often than people will admit. You have to learn to conform a bit or walk a tight rope.

Many people are primarily visually focused these days and that is indeed what they will bring away from the article if they focus primarily on the pictures.

Unfortunate, but it is how many interact with the world and I believe that most news outlets should be aware of this and choose photos wisely. Considering the wealth of pictures out there of the apostles, one has to wonder why this one was chosen.

Copyright issues?

Archived