Seriously No Politics ×

Food Storage Question

rodheadlee

Do noodles or rice have an expiration date? Most of our stuff has been repackaged for going to sea so we see no dates on them. We should have marked them. Some of them have a best by date but no expiration date.

Edited by rodheadlee

What about flour? Does it expire ? All of our stuff is in a cool dark place but it's tough keeping the moisture out.We double baggie a lot of it. We try to keep it stowed below the waterline because it's the coolest spot on the boat.

Flour should be sealled in airtight packages with an oxygen inhibitor in each package. Otherwise weevil is a probability.

In my experience, noodles (particularly the kind with higher fat content) and flour can get stale, at least stored in their original packaging. But that doesn't mean they are inedible, just not as palatable.

A Food Saver or like device where the air is expelled and packaged sealed extends the shelf life a lot.

What is an oxygen inhibitor? or where can I get them. We don't have a food saver we just double ziploc everything. Most stuff we take out of the original container and thrrow the cardboard away. We 're supposed to do it with everything we used to allow no cardboard on the boat due to **** roach eggs. We've been slack lately and I don't see how roach eggs could be in single layer cardboard. So say we put a Rice a Roni box inside a ziploc to keep moisture and bugs out, we're good to go?

Edited by rodheadlee

What is an oxygen inhibitor? or where can I get them. We don't have a food saver we just double ziploc everything. Most stuff we take out of the original container and thrrow the cardboard away. We 're supposed to do it with everything we used to allow no cardboard on the boat due to **** roach eggs. We've been slack lately and I don't see how roach eggs could be in single layer cardboard. So say we put a Rice a Roni box inside a ziploc to keep moisture and bugs out, we're good to go?

An oxygen inhibitor purges the oxygen from the package. They can be ordered from online sources. Ziploc bags are not air tight and you can't purge the air from them. The lack of air and especially oxygen prevents spoilage and prevent weevil eggs from hatching.

Here is a place to start:

http://www.drypak.com/oxygenAbsorbers.html

Edited by ERayR

I have cans ands cans of dry beans stored. My family and I will probably never eat them unless I figure out how to get them to soften. I soak them and boil for hours and they don't soften up. What am I doing wrong?

Turn the soaking from hours into a few days and you should be good to go.

Cal and Tss, pressure cookers scare me ever since someone I know had it explode while using one. But she probably used an old one and didn't follow the saftey guidelines. But I still have the fear, therefore I'm pretty limited on the foods I preserve.

I have cans ands cans of dry beans stored. My family and I will probably never eat them unless I figure out how to get them to soften. I soak them and boil for hours and they don't soften up. What am I doing wrong?

you need to soak for at least 12 hours if not more. I usually make white beans and ham for lunch/supper on sundays. I soak the beans saturday night, put them and some ham in a crock-pot before I leave for church, and always have perfectly cooked bead by the time I get home.

Weevils can chew through boxes and plastic bags. We bought some pancake mix that already had them and they infested our whole panty. :(

Weevils can chew through boxes and plastic bags. We bought some pancake mix that already had them and they infested our whole panty. :sad:

Decanting into glass, metal, or thick plastic containers should solve the problem. Also putting the packages into the microwave for about 30-45 seconds should kill the weevils. Just make sure it is a very low moisture food. Or you could just eat them anyway. They are nutritious however unappetizing. ;)

Edited by thesometimesaint