Seriously No Politics ×

Total Newbie.

azisbest

3 out 7 maybe? 3 being the nonbeliever. Not exactly sure. I often wonder if the LDS scholars or defenders of the faith wish the non believers or strugglers would find discussion elsewhere.

Just by their occasional judgement. And possibly they get tired of defending the faith and would rather discuss scripture, history etc.

3 out 7 maybe? 3 being the nonbeliever. Not exactly sure. I often wonder if the LDS scholars or defenders of the faith wish the non believers or strugglers would find discussion elsewhere.

Just by their occasional judgement. And possibly they get tired of defending the faith and would rather discuss scripture, history etc.

So credentialed Mormans are preferred ?

Mormons are not "preferred" on this website. We welcome everyone.

It is not so much the positions people hold that contribute to a healthy board, it is the style of discussions that take place. Accommodate to a relatively civil conversation with sparks of passion here and there but little or no mocking would be ideal in my view, with a nicely balanced mix of sharing informative academic and experiential learning and setting up social connections/explorations (in the sense of people opening themselves up,to each other).

What would you think the believer to non-believer ratio is, vis a vis Mormanism, on this site?

So, tell us a little about yourself. Nothing too personal, maybe what brings you here, what you hope to get out of your time here? If you want to, you can share a little about your hobbies, etc. Whatever you want to tell us.

Welcome aboard.

From my anecdotal observation there seems to be a good mix of everything; by the book Mormons, middle wayers, ex members, and a few members of other faiths. As long as you ask honest and respectful questions I'm sure you participation will be welcome.

I'm a non-believer, but Mormonism fascinates me. It has since I was a child. I'm Buddhist, but I see some similar beliefs in Joseph Smith's teachings to those in Hinduism/Buddhism. I suppose I may have romanticized Joseph Smith, but I see him as one of the earliest American mystics and spiritualists (that was not a Native American of course).

The discussion here is interesting, but I think you will find that the topics quickly morph into different subjects than what were originally posted. Some people are well-versed in Mormon theology and texts. While the discussion is generally interesting, I find as a non-Mormon that it is hard to comment on these finer points of doctrine.

That all said, welcome!!

Hard to know ratio: most people who read any internet board, don't post there. And church critics and/or questioners are probably more likely to be asking questions anywhere, not just here. (Though we do have faithful member questions too, just not about the same things.)

Not so Tacenda. It's just that some claims and statements just have to be answered and corrected.

LOL!! It's often a spirited place around here, from what I have seen on my short time on this forum. The mods and admins have their work cut out for themselves.

It is not so much the positions people hold that contribute to a healthy board, it is the style of discussions that take place. Accommodate to a relatively civil conversation with sparks of passion here and there but little or no mocking would be ideal in my view, with a nicely balanced mix of sharing informative academic and experiential learning and setting up social connections/explorations (in the sense of people opening themselves up,to each other).

In my limited experience this description is accurate. I'm not "mainstream", but haven't felt attacked or unwelcome at all.

So, tell us a little about yourself. Nothing too personal, maybe what brings you here, what you hope to get out of your time here? If you want to, you can share a little about your hobbies, etc. Whatever you want to tell us.

Welcome aboard.

Well a little bit about myself, I was born and baptized Morman and can trace my Morman lineage back for generations. One of my ancestors was a member of the Morman Batallion and I even have a copy of a diary he kept during his travels. That being said I am no longer a follower or believer in Morman doctrine and have not been for many, many years having become skeptical in high school. I call myself a reluctant non-believer, I wish in many ways I could have the necessary faith to believe in things ethereal. However I seem to be lacking the faith gene. Thanks for the welcome folks.

Welcome Azisbest!

As the previous posters have indicated the balance of the forum is tilted in favor of those who believe in the Church of Jesus of Christ of Latter-Day Saints, but there are also a large number of "non-believers" who greatly add to and improve the "dialogue and discussion". As a believer and member of the Church myself, I would like to welcome and encourage all those who have questions, comments, or even criticisms of the Church to comment on the board as long as they do so in a respectful manner. There have been many discussion threads where the "non-believers" (as you called yourself) have provided the most insightful comment on the thread and have broadened my understanding of a particular subject. We have much to learn from each other.

As I am also somewhat new to the board, I would like to thank the members of the board for the welcome they have extended. I frequent a number of internet sites, but never felt compelled to actively post on a site until this one. Most forums, internet sites, and comment sections I frequent are filled with disrespectful, and thoughtless keyboard vomit which never leads to serious discussion. Although that happens on occasion here, the vast majority of comments (and members) are very respectful, and the discussion (although lively) is very insightful and worthwhile. Thank you all.

As an aside (and if it is not against forum rules), if anyone knows of any other worthwhile sites where members of the Church of Jesus Christ and other churches (or non at all) frequently engage in civil dialogue, I would appreciate the link. I have found that I have much to learn (and perhaps to share), but most locations do not seem adequate to my needs.

Depending on how much I eat on certain days you might want to make the ratio 4:7.

While I do live in AZ...I don't think it's the best. I like Seattle or Dusseldorf or Dublin or Boston (<---maybe not right now).

Anyway...welcome!

Well everyone certainly has the inalienable right to be completely wrong, Valentine. When was the last time you had a good flauta in Dusseldorf? I'm betting you like the DH as well, takes all kinds.

Welcome Azisbest!

As the previous posters have indicated the balance of the forum is tilted in favor of those who believe in the Church of Jesus of Christ of Latter-Day Saints, but there are also a large number of "non-believers" who greatly add to and improve the "dialogue and discussion". As a believer and member of the Church myself, I would like to welcome and encourage all those who have questions, comments, or even criticisms of the Church to comment on the board as long as they do so in a respectful manner. There have been many discussion threads where the "non-believers" (as you called yourself) have provided the most insightful comment on the thread and have broadened my understanding of a particular subject. We have much to learn from each other.

As I am also somewhat new to the board, I would like to thank the members of the board for the welcome they have extended. I frequent a number of internet sites, but never felt compelled to actively post on a site until this one. Most forums, internet sites, and comment sections I frequent are filled with disrespectful, and thoughtless keyboard vomit which never leads to serious discussion. Although that happens on occasion here, the vast majority of comments (and members) are very respectful, and the discussion (although lively) is very insightful and worthwhile. Thank you all.

As an aside (and if it is not against forum rules), if anyone knows of any other worthwhile sites where members of the Church of Jesus Christ and other churches (or non at all) frequently engage in civil dialogue, I would appreciate the link. I have found that I have much to learn (and perhaps to share), but most locations do not seem adequate to my needs.

And should you ever have any questions of a non-believer feel free to ask away.