Church Nixes Plan To Build 9 Story Mtc Building In Provo

Tacenda

http://fox13now.com/2012/10/12/lds-church-will-not-build-9-story-mtc-building-in-provo/

They are probably going to have to build a much bigger place since the change in the sister missionary age is younger. Just a guess.

But they have cut the time at the MTC in favour of 'on the job' training.

I am glad they changed their minds though honestly the neighbourhood is not all that unique from what I've seen...and I've walked through it quite a bit on the way home from church or to see my grandma who lived a bit beyond it.

Why doesn't the church build other MTCs in the US? It seems like an east coast MTC would be better than one really big one.

I would assume that with at least part of it you have less of a travel burden with most missionaries in getting there to begin with; the fact that it's BYU campus simplifies and streamlines all the food services, employment, security, and other overhead costs, etc.; its proximity to a temple; again with BYU the fact that language training can be facilitated with many students from BYU who speak those languages, etc.

In summary, to expand the MTC would be able to accommodate missionaries at a cheaper rate (via cost simplification) than building a new one, in addition to other benefits.

Why doesn't the church build other MTCs in the US? It seems like an east coast MTC would be better than one really big one.

Save money on duplication of services, having BYU there with all the available languages for teachers is helpful.

Building on already owned land is a money saver as well. One would want to build by a temple, this might be problematic in most areas.

I don't know how the MTC is set up but I believe all the services are sperate from the byu campus. I.e. they may use the same company for food but all the employes generally work exclusively for the MTC. I imagine the housing is separate from byu's even if it is managed by the same people, how expensive are housing manager? So besides language support and maybe management of the food and housing services what does the MTC share with byu? The cost of food and housing management would be minimal and if the other MTC only processed English speaking missionaries what cost would be saved by having one really big MTC?

I don't know how the MTC is set up but I believe all the services are sperate from the byu campus. I.e. they may use the same company for food but all the employes generally work exclusively for the MTC. I imagine the housing is separate from byu's even if it is managed by the same people, how expensive are housing manager? So besides language support and maybe management of the food and housing services what does the MTC share with byu? The cost of food and housing management would be minimal and if the other MTC only processed English speaking missionaries what cost would be saved by having one really big MTC?

What benefit would it provide to have another English-only MTC elsewhere in America? Where? If you can increase the capacity of the MTC you accommodate more people at a cheaper cost per missionary. I fail to see the benefit of building elsewhere.

What benefit would it provide to have another English-only MTC elsewhere in America? Where? If you can increase the capacity of the MTC you accommodate more people at a cheaper cost per missionary. I fail to see the benefit of building elsewhere.

closer proximity to the area one would serve in. I imagine somewhere on the east coast or perhaps Midwest. It would lower travel cost and save the church from having to build one nine story building.

closer proximity to the area one would serve in. I imagine somewhere on the east coast or perhaps Midwest. It would lower travel cost and save the church from having to build one nine story building.

I think you're really underestimating the cost of building a new MTC relative to an expansion.Also, the cost of transportation would still be the same for the church unless they were serving in the areas immediately around said MTC and/or within distance of taking a bus (which would still cost money [and as it stands, I don't believe the church buses missionaries to places like Las Vegas or Boise from the Provo MTC, but I could be wrong]).

Another thing to consider about the employment is that the MTC, by and large, is run and taught by people who are BYU students, meaning that they have a large volume of prospective employees to hire from (who have the qualifications they need [i.e. served missions]) that are hired on a part-time basis being given lower (albeit fair) compensation. How would this translate elsewhere? I can't think of anywhere in the midwest or east coast, except perhaps the greater DC area, where they would be able to hire from an applicant pool so desireable (what I mean by desireable is people looking primarily for part-time work for a couple years while they go through school). The nature of BYU is that people work at the MTC while going to school, so by nature of the employment they're only looking for part-time and they're looking for it on an indefinite-temporary basis. This population isn't available in large enough quantities on the east coast such that in order to provide teachers you'd have be hiring people on a full-time basis. To order someone on a full-time basis you're going to have to pay them much more per unit time than those working part-time, as the primary goal for a full-time employee would be to provide completely for their family, as opposed to a college kid looking to supplement their income or have to reduce his/her dependence on grants/loans. You'd also have to provide benefits for the employees which adds a much more significant cost than their salary alone (since the MTC hires from BYU, they're required to already have insurance for school, so literally the only cost incurred in hiring BYU students is the money you pay them directly). It couldn't be staffed on a volunteer basis, either.

Now, the church has obviously built MTCs in other locations where this obviously would have to be the model (i.e. London). I'm only familiar with the Provo MTC so if anyone could shed light on others that'd be great. However, the costs of having one across the globe in London would be very different than trying to build another one in the same country, just away from the LDS population.

Back to the note about saving the church on transportation money, this would only parlay it to being membership cost as parents/missionaries would have to pay for their transportation to the MTC. As it stands, in the continental US ~82% of the LDS population is west of the Mississippi. Thos serving in the midwest and east coast are, by and large, from the west (Utah, Idaho, Arizona, etc.) I served in Columbus, Ohio and my companions came from the following places: Arizona, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Utah, Arizona, Utah, Arizona, California, Utah, Utah, Tennessee. Off the top of my head, the only people I can think of in the mission the entire two years that did't come from any states Utah and west would be one from Oklahoma, one from Texas, one from Tennessee, one from Canada, two from Mexico, two from Cambodia, and one from Mongolia. The guys from the east coast and mid-west typically serve in the west (if serving stateside).

The other logistics would be temple proximity. Where, specifically, would you consider an appropriate location? I still think you're greatly underestimating cost and may be assuming that the cost per missionary would be fixed regardless how the MTC(s) would expand.

The other logistics would be temple proximity. Where, specifically, would you consider an appropriate location? I still think you're greatly underestimating cost and may be assuming that the cost per missionary would be fixed regardless how the MTC(s) would expand.

I honestly haven't put all that much thought into it... more thinking out loud than anything. I don't see why temple proximity would be necessary. All the missionaries I knew went to the temple before they went to the MTC. I know some wait until they get to the MTC but you could easily direct those who were to go to the "new MTC" to go to the temple before they arrived. As far as expansion vs. a new building, it would depend on how big of an expansion was planned and if they would have to close the existing MTC or not. A second building would not necessitate closing the Provo MTC regardless.

Fighting against its own members when the resources are available to relocate. :sorry: Why did it take this long?

Couple of issues I see here:

1. Not everybody in Provo is LDS.

2. Not everybody that's at least nominally LDS (or a yBu fan) really cares all that much about the missionary efforts of the Church.

3. Why do you focus on only the Church pushing for expansion of its existing facility in its existing location and not upon the NIMBY neighbors?

4. . . . on second thought, this one I'll keep inside my head.

Couple of issues I see here:

1. Not everybody in Provo is LDS.

2. Not everybody that's at least nominally LDS (or a yBu fan) really cares all that much about the missionary efforts of the Church.

3. Why do you focus on only the Church pushing for expansion of its existing facility in its existing location and not upon the NIMBY neighbors?

4. . . . on second thought, this one I'll keep inside my head.

I have a thought or two about the NIMBYs, but like you, I think I'll let prudence govern my conversation.

Archived