emeliza

Last night I had the pleasure of going to see Gladys Knight and the Saints Unified Voices. It was spectacular. I took my non-member mom and stepdad and I know they enjoyed it as well. The songs and music were wonderful and the speakers were funny, warm and spiritual. There were only two things that didn't work so well. The first was that the opening prayer by a local member (that I don't know) was a prayer to Jesus. It was really bizarre, but oh well.

The other thing was how many children were present...and young children. Normally this is expected with LDS gatherings. However we were specifically told not to bring children. In fact, they told us under the age of 12 should stay home and even teens were not necessarily a first choice. I did bring my 14 year old because she is interested in everything musical and I knew she would be good....and she was. At 14 if you are LDS, you should be able to sit for a few hours. :) However we did get a babysitter for our 8 year old. It wasn't easy finding a sitter for a week night and we had decided early on if we couldn't find one, my husband would stay home.

I am not sure if the other obviously LDS families that we were sitting by didn't get the memo or didn't care, but right in front of us were a number of very young children. The family sitting directly in front of us has a newborn baby and a 2 year old. They were nice, but they got quite loud, especially the 2 year old after being in the same place for 2 hours. My husband leaned forward and asked the father to please help his daughter be quiet when she was talking rather loudly during Gladys' testimony and the father did comply very nicely...no issue, but still, why at adult only events within the Church, do we still see so many children. I have been to a number of Stake Conference meetings where they stress it is 18+ and whole families or at least the younger children come with their parents.

Any ideas why this happens? It is because people think they are the exception or that their child won't be noisey?

I think it's because a lot of people think they are the exception and that they should be catered too. And maybe there were a few that just didn't know?

And I think other people believe that if they can't get or afford a sitter to something they really want to go to that will probably be spiritually beneficial, that they see that as giving them permission to do whatever they have to do to get there. I actually really love that the conference center doesn't let kids younger than 8 in for general conference because i think it reminds people that when we are at certain stages of our lives, sometimes we're going to miss out on spiritual experiences because of our kids and that that's o.k. We'll have plenty of time later to share in those experiences

All it would take for it to stop happening though is for someone to make the parents leave or not let them in with their children. It sounds harsh but certain personality types of people are never going to follow these kinds of rules when they know they don't have to.

It's the same thing with my biggest pet peeve-saving huge sections of seating at stake conference. Every year they announce over the pulpit that it's not acceptable and every year there are rows and rows that are saved with scriptures and bags with only one person sitting in the area as the official 'saver'. It's so annoying because our family purposefully get's our rears (and our children's rears) up hours early so that we can get to the stake center early enough to have good seats, only to get there and hardly have anywhere to sit with 6 people in the chapel. I don't care if someone saves a seat or two-that's to be expected. But trying to save a whole huge row with two people is just retarded.

All someone in the stake would have to do is gather up all of those scriptures and bags and put them someplace safe and then seat people who arrive early in those seats one time and no one would do it anymore. But as long as people think they can get away with it, they'll continue to ignore what they've been told and do it anyway.

All it would take for it to stop happening though is for someone to make the parents leave or not let them in with their children. It sounds harsh but certain personality types of people are never going to follow these kinds of rules when they know they don't have to.

There was nothing on the actual ticket that said no kids and the event was a missionary event. We were also told that we couldn't get tickets unless we had non-members with us. There were a lot of what I would guess to be non-members that brought kids so as an usher, I wouldn't want to try and figure out who was a member and who wasn't so who to tell not to bring their kids and who to leave it alone with. I was just mad that the members couldn't follow directions. Also the members with the kids did not bring anyone. They came alone. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that either they weren't told or their ward was lenient with the tickets, but I was still disappointed when I missed parts of the testimonies because of children.

The tickets did say no seat saving in the chapel, but it was allowed in the gym portion of the stake center. We didn't get there early enough to get in the chapel part so I have no idea if people seat saved anyway.

Either way, children or not, it was an amazing and spiritual experience and I think my mom felt it too....which was what I was hoping for.

My friend and I were at a Daughtry concert a couple years ago and (of course) we cheered when the opening band got on stage. Two nice ladies in front of us turned around and shushed us. It was amusing because that was one of the loudest concerts I've been to.

I know, random story. Sorry.

There was nothing on the actual ticket that said no kids and the event was a missionary event. We were also told that we couldn't get tickets unless we had non-members with us. There were a lot of what I would guess to be non-members that brought kids so as an usher, I wouldn't want to try and figure out who was a member and who wasn't so who to tell not to bring their kids and who to leave it alone with. I was just mad that the members couldn't follow directions. Also the members with the kids did not bring anyone. They came alone. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that either they weren't told or their ward was lenient with the tickets, but I was still disappointed when I missed parts of the testimonies because of children.

The tickets did say no seat saving in the chapel, but it was allowed in the gym portion of the stake center. We didn't get there early enough to get in the chapel part so I have no idea if people seat saved anyway.

Either way, children or not, it was an amazing and spiritual experience and I think my mom felt it too....which was what I was hoping for.

I completely agree with you there. If it's an event where non-members are invited or is open to the public, then no one needs to be trying to enforce any of those kinds of request (such as with seating or children, or whatever other small thing). It's not worth it.

I just wish that the church would sometimes enforce things at times when it can be kindly and appropriately done, just to help people take the requests more seriously.

You've touched on some of my pet peeves... people who bring young children to such an event. I know I'd offend a lot of people if it were me... the minute the two-year old started up I'd ask the parents to step out so we could hear. People are so crass today that I have no sympathy for them and will not hesitate to speak up. If it said no seat saving in the chapel on the tickets, then I wouldn't hesitate to quietly move scriptures etc and point out the request on the tickets. If someone wanted to make a scene that's up to them. (I know, I know... I probably wouldn't do it, but I'd be mad enough... grrr... I just get so tired of people who won't follow the rules, etc., and I'm old enough that I don't give a darn).

GG