Seriously No Politics ×

Article Says There Are 11 Diseases Coffee Can Prevent

Tacenda

Judd:

I'm sorry. I'm normally given to be overly verbose. ;) To clarify it is a non sequitur to claim because something isn't approved of it must be condemned. I agree that we have no revelation as to why Coffee and Tea are to be avoided while other products with the same or very similar contents are not.

But that was not his argument, he was addressing that error in Tacenda's comment that the church clarifying that caffeine is not a WOW issue means it's okay.

In a quick skim I found one potential disease non caffeine related due to cafestol in unfiltered coffee which raises cholerestol.

I have heard people complain of nausea and heartburn, not sure if it is the acid in coffee or caffeine that causes this.

In a quick skim I found one potential disease non caffeine related due to cafestol in unfiltered coffee which raises cholerestol.

I have heard people complain of nausea and heartburn, not sure if it is the acid in coffee or caffeine that causes this.

My dad's cholesterol was off the charts high and he drank coffee for pain and ended up dying from a heart attack. So again everything in moderation.

Every time I hear or read this, I can imagine the Christ saying to the adulteress, "Go thy way and sin in moderation." I realize this pulls everything out of context, but it always puts a smile on my face.

I guess I should say that sentence with specifics, but very funny Urroner;)
. I think it is very difficult though for those who are accustomed to drinking coffee to do so in moderation. .

Why do you assume this about people who drink coffee? Most people I know and have known through out my life drink coffee, and I can't think of anyone who was immoderate in their coffee consumption. Quite frankly I have seen much worse behavior from people who lost access to their phones than I have from people who couldn't get a cup of coffee. Coffee has been consumed by millions (if not billions) of people over the centuries, the hysteria over it is silly.

Why do you assume this about people who drink coffee? Most people I know and have known through out my life drink coffee, and I can't think of anyone who was immoderate in their coffee consumption. Quite frankly I have seen much worse behavior from people who lost access to their phones than I have from people who couldn't get a cup of coffee. Coffee has been consumed by millions (if not billions) of people over the centuries, the hysteria over it is silly.

It is doubtful a cup of coffee in the morning has much, if any, ill health effects. That being said I've known people who drink it near constantly. In one case ten cups a work day. Talk about caffeine nerves. :o

Hysteria over anything less than "the house is on fire" is unwarranted. The Saints have made promises to the Lord not to drink coffee. That's as far as I'm willing to take it.

We had dinner with a friend Saturday night that told us of how his esophageal cancer was discovered. A doctor friend from Syria saw him at the mosque, noticed he had lost some weight and insisted he needed to have an endoscopy without telling him why. When it was discovered that he had stage two cancer, he asked the doctor why he had been so sure as to insist....turns out the area in the middle east he comes from is known for drinking their tea so hot that it damages the stomach valve allowing acid to reflux, eventually so desensitising the area as to be unnoticeable to the individual. Reading studies would seem to indicate just the burning from the tea or coffee or other hot drink such as mate is enough to increase risk of a squamous cell cancer. That type of cancer is more common apparently among countries that drink coffee and tea quite hot, such as in the ME and Japan.

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20090326/hot-tea-may-raise-esophageal-cancer-risk

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/CancerPreventionAndTreatment/t/story?id=7182731&page=1

Drinking alcohol and smoking increases risk as well.

Sorry for the slow reply, I did not notice that you had responded to my comment until now.

The reason I assume people have a hard time drinking coffee in moderation is based upon peculiar behaviors I have seen associated with coffee that I have not seen associated with any other beverage. Yes this assumption is subjective and based entirely upon my own experiences but aren't all of our assumptions and opinions so based? I also recognize that my observations cannot be extrapolated to every person who drinks coffee, but there does appear to be something unique, either culturally or chemically, about coffee that brings about these behaviors.

I have heard the phrase "Don't ask me any questions, I haven't had my morning coffee yet" or its equivalent more times than I can count. I have tried to think if I have ever heard this phrase mentioned about other beverages, and I do not believe I have. I have never heard "I haven't had breakfast yet" or "I haven't had milk yet" or even "I haven't had a coke yet". Whatever it is about coffee a lot of people believe they cannot function properly without its consumption.

I have also noticed a strange phenomenon where people who imbibe coffee tend to carry it with them throughout the day. To be fair I have also noticed this with caffeinated soda drinks and water as well, but it seems to be more pronounced with coffee. I work in a professional setting, and every meeting I attend there will be several people who will bring in either a coffee mug or a coffee thermo. I have never noticed anyone bring in anything else besides water. I have often wondered if the reason the coffee is always taken with them is because it is hot, and so must be partaken of slowly, yet I have never noticed anyone bringing hot cocoa with them to a meeting. I spent over a decade studying at a university and during this time I had countless professors who would imbibe coffee while teaching their respective courses, I never noticed this occurring nor could imagine it occurring with any other beverage besides water.

Periodically throughout the day people with whom I work will take coffee breaks. In American culture the only other "break" people take periodically besides meals and restroom breaks is a smoke break or a cigarette break, although it is common in other cultures to take a tea break. Again this appears to be unique to coffee, as I have not noticed people periodically taking breaks for milk, juice, or other beverages. Maybe a soda break would be similar, but I have never heard this term used, and I do not notice people taking soda breaks, although they do bring it with them as I indicated above.

Coffee is also everywhere, and is expected to be everywhere. We recently opened a new building at my place of business and my office was relocated to this new building. Do to the newness of this building some things were overlooked including a coffee maker for the break room. The employees that were moved to the new building nearly revolted, some even saying (mostly in jest) that they would refuse to work until a coffee maker was purchased. I remember wondering at the time if any of these reactions would have occurred if the company had failed to provide any other beverage. With the exception of water (this is becoming a common theme) I cannot think of another beverage who's absence would have elicited the same response. Can you imagine an employee expressing their displeasure and indicating there unwillingness to work (even in jest) because the company failed to provide milk, juice, or soda?

Yes these are only my experiences, and yes I realize that I have only associated with a small subset of humanity, but it appears to me that most with whom I am acquainted who imbibe coffee do not merely occasionally drink coffee, they become "coffee drinkers". It becomes almost a way of life, rather than just something they occasionally drink, and its importance to their survival is seen as almost equal to water.

These are some of the reasons why I think it seems difficult for people to drink coffee in moderation, and I think they are influenced as much by culture as they are by the chemical makeup of coffee.

I could be wrong though and perhaps my experience is entirely different than yours.

-guerreiro9

urroner:

With wine(red) it's a mixed bag. The fermentation process itself seems bestow a small benefit when drunk in moderation. Say a single glass with a meal. Beyond that the negatives start to outweigh that small positive rather quickly.

Fermented cabbage (sauerkraut) probably provides some good benefit over raw cabbage, too. Some people love it, while others gag.

Stargazer:

I like both. :) Sauerkraut is a good source of vitamin C and vitamin K. A nicely cooked Polish Sausage topped with mustard and sauerkraut. YUM.

Rep point for the sauerkraut & polish sausage! And me too about the raw cabbage.

Downstairs in my kitchen, right this very moment, is a crock of shredded cabbage fermenting away. In about two weeks it will be just right. :D

Archived