New Study Finds Traditional Marriages Have Much Lower Divorce Rates

changed

Here is the article, it links to the study (English at the end)

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/housework

The title is - "divorce rates higher for couples that share housework" but it is about more than just housework, it is about traditional (women stay at home, clean house, cook, raise kids while men go out to work) vs. modern (men and women both work, and both try to share household responsibilities) family trends. I can't read the whole study as I don't speak the language, but it seemed to be saying that women who did the majority of the housework were unhappy about having to do it all, but then at the end, these were the people who were staying married. The marriages where everyone was trying to keep everything equal with no designated gender roles were the marriages that did not last.

Anyways, I thought it was interesting.

A woman who stays at home without working may have less options when it comes to financial independence and is therefore more likely to be willing to compromise or work harder at making the marriage work or settling for less. Did the study control for that variable?

A woman who stays at home without working may have less options when it comes to financial independence and is therefore more likely to be willing to compromise or work harder at making the marriage work or settling for less. Did the study control for that variable?

This is the actual study:

http://nova.no/asset/5912/1/5912_1.pdf

There are a few conclusions in English at the very end.

Chapter 9: Does an egalitarian division of housework protect against

relationship dissolution?

In this chapter we ask whether an egalitarian division of housework promotes

marital stability. Analysis of LOGG data and subsequent registry data on

divorce shows no association between a traditional division of labor, i.e., that

the woman does most of the work, and a lower risk of divorce. On the

contrary, the risk of divorce (over a period of 4 years) is higher when he does

as much or more housework than her, compared to when she does most of

the housework. These effects are statistically significant, also after control of

relevant factors. We discuss possible reasons for the greater risk of divorce in

untraditional couples. Differences in values and attitudes are a likely cause: in

traditional couples where she does most of the housework, both partners may

tend to hold a high value of marriage and a more traditional attitude towards

divorce. Untraditional couples, where he does the most of the housework,

may hold a less traditional or more modern view about marriage, whereby

marital dissatisfaction more easily leads to marital break-up. If so, the

division of housework is no “cause” of later divorce.

This is the actual study:

http://nova.no/asset/5912/1/5912_1.pdf

There are a few conclusions in English at the very end.

When I heard about the study, that was the conclusion I thought most likely as well -- that it was a demographic correlation and not a causal factor. Indeed, there have been quite a few studies show that couples that share household chores are happier (some even connected it to levels of "bedroom" activity).

As much as I find sociological studies fascinating I confess an amount of distrust of such data bordering on unhealthy. And my cynicism of popular media reports of such studies is definitely "unhealthy". :)

• 3 weeks later...

When I heard about the study, that was the conclusion I thought most likely as well -- that it was a demographic correlation and not a causal factor. Indeed, there have been quite a few studies show that couples that share household chores are happier (some even connected it to levels of "bedroom" activity).

I'm sure this is more correlative than causative. I really don't think that you could say that any marriages are actually saved by the husband becoming a deadbeat.

Here is the article, it links to the study (English at the end)

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/housework

The title is - "divorce rates higher for couples that share housework" but it is about more than just housework, it is about traditional (women stay at home, clean house, cook, raise kids while men go out to work) vs. modern (men and women both work, and both try to share household responsibilities) family trends. I can't read the whole study as I don't speak the language, but it seemed to be saying that women who did the majority of the housework were unhappy about having to do it all, but then at the end, these were the people who were staying married. The marriages where everyone was trying to keep everything equal with no designated gender roles were the marriages that did not last.

Anyways, I thought it was interesting.

No supprize...few up in such a home and mine was much the same....and with no divorce.

Archived