Awkward Moments At Other Members Houses'?

Duncan

Have you ever been on a mission or VT/Ht at another member house and it was like super akward due to I dunno they were fighting or something else happened that made you mentally say "um we can come back some other time whilst you deal with this"

I had it three times in the mission field. The couple were fighting but fortnutely we just had to drop something off so we didn't have to stay!

The other time we were having dinner with this older couple and their daughter came over over crying saying her bishopric husband was cheating on her and wants to quit the church, get divorced-needless to say it was massively awkward I said something like "we can go if this a bad time" and the Mom was like "No! Sit and eat" allright I wasn't going to argue and so she and the daughter left to talk and we hung out with the Dad!

The third time was when we used to visit this couple and have dinner with them a couple of times at least, active, both RMs, seemed super cool. Then we went over there once and she was there with the kids and we needed to use the phone to phone someone and I casually ask how brother so and so was and she "he left me" uuuuuuuuuuhhhh what? come to find out he had spent time in jail as a pedophile previously and he had done it again and the cops were looking for him. Well so we stayed and talked a bit. A few weeks later we were over there again to install her garage door opener (well my comp did it, I have delicate skin for those types of activities and I break out so I read the directions) and he came home with the Cops and yikes! it was the first time she had seen or heard from him since this all happened and he had to get stuff or whatever and oh man we wanted to get the heck out of there lickety split!

Back in the days when they had Stake Missionaries, I was serving my two year stake mission and would go out on splits with the sister missionaries, etc. They had a habit of "dropping in" on investigators or ward members... which I did not approve of and had made my opinion known to them and to our ward mission leader. Finally the two straws that broke the camel's back were:

We dropped in on an older inactive sister who had health issues. It was about 8:00 PM and the sister and her husband were in bed watching TV... the husband came to the door and we went in to see her. The husband had to sit up in the den and wait for us to leave. I told them I was uncomfortable just dropping in on people and preferred they set appontments.

The last and final straw came when we again dropped in on an investigator... a single gal about 40... she came to the door and I could tell she was embarrassed as it was obvious she had been drinking and had "company." We talked on the porch for a few minutes

and her face was very red she was so embarrassed. We left and when we got into the car I blew my stack and told them that they could count me out on any future "drop-in" visits as I wouldn't be a part of it. The next Sunday in our mtg with the mission leader I told him also that they could just forget my participation in the evenings unless they had an appointment scheduled!!

And I stuck to it...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Back in the days when they had Stake Missionaries, I was serving my two year stake mission and would go out on splits with the sister missionaries, etc. They had a habit of "dropping in" on investigators or ward members... which I did not approve of and had made my opinion known to them and to our ward mission leader. Finally the two straws that broke the camel's back were:

We dropped in on an older inactive sister who had health issues. It was about 8:00 PM and the sister and her husband were in bed watching TV... the husband came to the door and we went in to see her. The husband had to sit up in the den and wait for us to leave. I told them I was uncomfortable just dropping in on people and preferred they set appontments.

The last and final straw came when we again dropped in on an investigator... a single gal about 40... she came to the door and I could tell she was embarrassed as it was obvious she had been drinking and had "company." We talked on the porch for a few minutes

and her face was very red she was so embarrassed. We left and when we got into the car I blew my stack and told them that they could count me out on any future "drop-in" visits as I wouldn't be a part of it. The next Sunday in our mtg with the mission leader I told him also that they could just forget my participation in the evenings unless they had an appointment scheduled!!

And I stuck to it...

GG

drunk! oh man! yeah good for you sticking to it!

When I was seven or eight, two missionaries came to my door. I ran throught the house like Paul Revere announcing "THE MORMONS ARE HERE!!! THE MORMONS ARE HERE!!!"

Needless to say, my mother gave me a word about good manners once they left. (She told my dad that the poor guys at the door turned red as a pair of beets.)

I think my awkward moments are generally when someone figures out I am Mormon. I am not quiet about my faith, but generally I prefer someone to get to know me before they find out so it doesn't color their opinion of me one way or another. Anyway it is only awkward when they find out because usually by then they have made either some type of off comment about the LDS faith or they have told me some story about getting drunk or what have you. I don't really care, but you can tell they are remembering as they get all red. Half the time they figure out I am LDS by asking about where photos in my office were taken (in front of various temples), thinking they are Disney or something.

The only real awkward moments I can think of are when other LDS members want to discuss politics assuming we feel the same way...when typically we do not. We usually just keep quiet though unless we know them really well.

Funny story I was told once. Some friends of mine were outside talking to their neighbors when the missionaries pulled up in my friend's driveway. I think they were eating dinner at their house that night. Anyway the neighbors told them, "Quick go inside, you still have time, the Mormons haven't seen you yet." My friends smiled and informed their neighbors that the missionaries went to their church and it was okay.

Have you ever

A friend of mine tells the story of being at his fiancee's home for an outdoor meal, and he had to go to the bathroom. He was directed to a bathroom outside the garage near festiviites. He was a bit self-conscious, so he knelt on the floor in front of the toilet to "make water" with less noise. Well, the floor swung open and here he was or all to see... "AAAAAWK-waaaaaard..."

Here's one: I was a teenager and my sister was getting married. I hadn't me the in-laws. As we were waiting for them to arrirve at a dinner, i started joking around using a very guff, obnoxious tone in my voice. My sister kept laughing but warning me to stop as they were coming. I kept it up too long and they heard me. it turned out the gruff, bossy voice I was using was a dead-on impression of her future father-in-law!

Funny story I was told once. Some friends of mine were outside talking to their neighbors when the missionaries pulled up in my friend's driveway. I think they were eating dinner at their house that night. Anyway the neighbors told them, "Quick go inside, you still have time, the Mormons haven't seen you yet." My friends smiled and informed their neighbors that the missionaries went to their church and it was okay.

A depressing story is we showed up as missionaries to a member's house and the member made sure to sneak us in so the neighbors would not see. We did not ask for referrals.

A depressing story is we showed up as missionaries to a member's house and the member made sure to sneak us in so the neighbors would not see. We did not ask for referrals.

Did they make you sneak out as well?

I thought our new neighbors (we just moved into the house) would figure out we were Mormons since the missionaries are always at our house. Most didn't know until our daughter said she wasn't allowed to drink tea when it was offered. The parents thought she just didn't like tea and asked us about it when we had a back to school ice cream social. My husband told them we don't drink tea, coffee, or alcohol. They were embarassed because they had also just told us about this great vineyard nearby. Wish people realized that we don't really care if they drink now and again, we just don't. Sadly my husband also mentioned we don't drink caffiene....and both he and I do. Haven't quite figured out how to correct that one as I wasn't there when he said it. :(

My most uncomfortable moment at a friend's home who was a member of the church was when I visited him (he was my home teaching companion) in order to set up some home teaching appointments. He had been hard to pin down lately. I was totally speechless to learn that he had been excommunicated from the church. I totally did not know what to say or how to act.

I did offer my support and continued friendship and kept close to him and his family untill we were transferred from Okinawa.

Glenn

And I stuck to it...

GG

Good for you...no one likes people just "dropping by". People don't like be caught off guard, or not be at their best.

My most uncomfortable moment at a friend's home who was a member of the church was when I visited him (he was my home teaching companion) in order to set up some home teaching appointments. He had been hard to pin down lately. I was totally speechless to learn that he had been excommunicated from the church. I totally did not know what to say or how to act.

I did offer my support and continued friendship and kept close to him and his family untill we were transferred from Okinawa.

Now that would be awkward.

Glenn

Generally, my Bishop will bring up issues regarding membership status in PEC so that leadership is aware of them and can avoid awkward situations like that. It's a pity that your Bishop and/or Elders Quorum President didn't mention it. :huh:

Glenn

Now that's what being a good HT is all about, staying close like that despite his being ex'd and not worrying about the numbers!

I do not mind it at all and have in fact been blessed by people dropping by. I do not mind getting caught off guard and am rarely at my best even if I am expecting someone.

You should try apologizing after surgery and still loopy. I did that to a mod and was horrified when I saw what I wrote...hope he are she reads it again. So I am not always at my best even when I think so.

Years ago my wife and were part of a small group of saints who met each month for a dinner group. All four couples were young and we had great fun talking and teasing each other. One evening we were at the table of the youngest in our group when the wife asked us what we would like to drink. With all the flippancy a youthful soul could muster I declared "I would like a beer with my dinner." I laughed but the hostess suddenly had this embarrassed look on her face. Not being really bright, I just waited for her response. She left the room with tears in her eyes and I was thoroughly baffled. Later I discovered that everyone but me knew her husband had a little problem and she was sure I was making fun of him. Don't think she ever forgave me but we moved to another state a few months later. I have been more careful with my drink requests since then.

I wish I could say I haven't made equally embarrassing gaffes (especially to my sweetheart) since then but that would not be factual. MW

Funniest one for me was as a missionary, my comp and I went over to a military family for a dinner appointment. The Dad, a marine, was about to leave on a 3 month tour later that evening. The fact that we were there sharing the family's last evening together was a bit odd. After the meal the 3 kids left the table and started watching a movie (toy soldiers I think... the irony). We were sat at the table chatting with the parents. After a while he got up saying he was going to pack. About 15 minutes later she said she was going to check if he needed any help.

We, a pair of 19-year olds, were left in the living room with the kids watching the TV. Yes... I know, white hand book etc. I was already feeling awkward and not sure what else to do.

About half an hour later she came back downstairs looking a little rosy cheeked and sat down with the kids without making eye-contact with us. We made our excuses and left.

14 years later with kids and a lovely wife of my own I think back and consider it one of my more effective (if unplanned) service projects... if it helped a married couple feel a little more 'united' before a 3-month tour, then I guess I did a good turn! (but it still left me a little mentally scarred for the next week or two).

Funniest one for me was as a missionary, my comp and I went over to a military family for a dinner appointment. The Dad, a marine, was about to leave on a 3 month tour later that evening. The fact that we were there sharing the family's last evening together was a bit odd. After the meal the 3 kids left the table and started watching a movie (toy soldiers I think... the irony). We were sat at the table chatting with the parents. After a while he got up saying he was going to pack. About 15 minutes later she said she was going to check if he needed any help.

We, a pair of 19-year olds, were left in the living room with the kids watching the TV. Yes... I know, white hand book etc. I was already feeling awkward and not sure what else to do.

About half an hour later she came back downstairs looking a little rosy cheeked and sat down with the kids without making eye-contact with us. We made our excuses and left.

14 years later with kids and a lovely wife of my own I think back and consider it one of my more effective (if unplanned) service projects... if it helped a married couple feel a little more 'united' before a 3-month tour, then I guess I did a good turn! (but it still left me a little mentally scarred for the next week or two).

That would be quite the thing! hee hee, hee, hee!

I remember as a missionary sitting on a bench in a park near the chapel and my comp had to use the loo (we were waiting for someone) and a group of the RS sisters were at a nearby bench talking about thier various habits...and it was like I was invisible to them, like I am over here!! Can't you see me? because I can certaintly hear and see you!