Bill Clinton Just Said He "Almost Became A Mormon."

Sevenbak

In an interview, he said he met with "2 or 3" missionaries several decades ago.

"Clinton also recalled a moment from his youth in Arkansas being approached by two or three Mormon missionaries in Hot Springs, where they explained the Mormon view.

Clinton spoke highly of their effort, recounting the different degrees of heaven as was explained to him 50 years ago, describing it as a pyramid with many levels that put Hitler and Stalin at the very bottom, faithful Mormons on top, and everyone else in between.

Clinton, a Baptist, said the sticking point for him was leaving his friends and family out of the top level of heaven.

“I didn’t want to leave all these other people behind,” he said."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/what-bill-clinton-is-thinking

Perhaps it's just me, but I find this pretty disingenuous, politically ill advised and provocative.

Does anyone else really think the law of chastity might also have had something to do with it? ;-)

Not going to read it, got other stuff to do so could you tell me if anyone bothers to correct him about "everyone else in between" and having leave all his loved ones behind in the article itself?

If not, that does bother me.

I went through several sets of Missionaries before my conversion. Glad they kept coming back. :)

Hi TSS... good morning...

I'm glad they persevered... but glad also that you had listening ears and a harkening heart so that the Spirit was able to work within you...

from the beach on a beautiful morning... the sun coming through trees... trees that are losing their leaves more each day, a sign that fall is definitely here...

GG

In an interview, he said he met with "2 or 3" missionaries several decades ago.

"Clinton also recalled a moment from his youth in Arkansas being approached by two or three Mormon missionaries in Hot Springs, where they explained the Mormon view.

Clinton spoke highly of their effort, recounting the different degrees of heaven as was explained to him 50 years ago, describing it as a pyramid with many levels that put Hitler and Stalin at the very bottom, faithful Mormons on top, and everyone else in between.

Clinton, a Baptist, said the sticking point for him was leaving his friends and family out of the top level of heaven.

“I didn’t want to leave all these other people behind,” he said."

http://www.buzzfeed....ton-is-thinking

Perhaps it's just me, but I find this pretty disingenuous, politically ill advised and provocative.

Does anyone else really think the law of chastity might also have had something to do with it? ;-)

Petty.

... Does anyone else really think the law of chastity might also have had something to do with [President Clinton's failure to join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints]? ;-)

Petty.

With due respect, do we have the right to expect a certain amount of rectitude in the private conduct of our public officials without being called prudes or without being accused of focusing on irrelevancies? I think we do. However one might disagree with his policies, there is no denying that President Clinton was an enormously talented politician and administrator. It’s a shame that his private conduct didn’t match those publicly-displayed gifts.

Mote/beam

To expect a certain level of private rectitude from our public officials is in no way hypocritical.

We all do to a more or less extent. But most of us realize our own faults and shortcomings, and have no desire to have them publicly broadcast if it has little/no relevance to how we govern our own family or others. So Thomas Jefferson that held slaves, and was one of the fathers of our country in more than one way. But that doesn't preclude him from being a great President.

Not going to read it, got other stuff to do so could you tell me if anyone bothers to correct him about "everyone else in between" and having leave all his loved ones behind in the article itself?

If not, that does bother me.

How is that not correct?

I might take exception to the "pyramid" visual, with few people at the top and the majority at the bottom, but I wouldn't find it hard to believe that there was a missionary in the 1960's who had some sort of visual aid that presented the kingdoms of glory in a pyramid shape. I've certainly known enough LDS that loved pyramid-shaped business opportunities that I can imagine a pyramid shaped heaven being very alluring.

It's also true that if he accepted the gospel but his family and friends didn't, he would be spending eternity apart from them. So he got that right (and if he wasn't willing to take that chance, he made the right choice). :unknw:

With due respect, do we have the right to expect a certain amount of rectitude in the private conduct of our public officials without being called prudes or without being accused of focusing on irrelevancies? I think we do. However one might disagree with his policies, there is no denying that President Clinton was an enormously talented politician and administrator. It’s a shame that his private conduct didn’t match those publicly-displayed gifts.

President Clinton said, according to the article, that he met with LDS missionaries in "a moment from his youth." He doesn't say how old he was. He doesn't say how many times he met with the elders. He simply says that he could not accept the LDS concept of Heaven. For someone to extrapolate from that that maybe he had an issue with the Law of Chastity at that time is petty, immature, and unworthy of a disciple of Christ.

It sounds to me like he was pretty impressed with the missionaries and doesn't have anything against Mormons. He disagrees with the idea of only members of one church being allowed in the highest degrees of glory. That is a common criticism of religions that believe that sort of thing, and I have no reason to believe Clinton doesn't believe what he said. So why do you find it disingenuous? I don't see it.

And how is saying that he was impressed by the missionaries, but disagreed with their theology, politically ill-advised or provocative?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect you just don't like Clinton, and would feel this way about anything he said at all.

No. Sure he cheated on Hilary later in his life, and that was wrong, but I don't see the connection to Mormonism or this interview.

How is that not correct?

I might take exception to the "pyramid" visual, with few people at the top and the majority at the bottom, but I wouldn't find it hard to believe that there was a missionary in the 1960's who had some sort of visual aid that presented the kingdoms of glory in a pyramid shape. I've certainly known enough LDS that loved pyramid-shaped business opportunities that I can imagine a pyramid shaped heaven being very alluring.

It's also true that if he accepted the gospel but his family and friends didn't, he would be spending eternity apart from them. So he got that right (and if he wasn't willing to take that chance, he made the right choice). :unknw:

I thought the same thing.

President Clinton said, according to the article, that he met with LDS missionaries in "a moment from his youth." He doesn't say how old he was. He doesn't say how many times he met with the elders. He simply says that he could not accept the LDS concept of Heaven. For someone to extrapolate from that that maybe he had an issue with the Law of Chastity at that time is petty, immature, and unworthy of a disciple of Christ.

So, your point is that such a criticism of President Clinton, while it may have merit in another context, is irrelevant and a red herring in the context of this discussion (since he likely hadn't engaged in any infidelity to that point in his life)? OK. That's probably true. Point taken. :)

Archived