368: “A Thoughtful Faith” Episode 1 – Greg Prince’S “Manifesto For Change”

Tacenda

I really love that Greg Prince mentioned things contained in this podcast that have been discussed on this board already. Women holding the priesthood is one. Greg said something to the effect that women don't necessarily need or want the priesthood but what they do want is a say in certain matters. Greg mentions that it wouldn't take any changes to church doctrine to make that happen in our wards or stakes. For example the Relief Society President having more input on members being called into various callings.

He also mentions something about our Sacrament services maybe needing a facelift (my word), like better music, or better trained speakers with training courses for members, etc. that they've apparently done in the past.

He even mentions bringing in string instruments etc. for our music worship. I wish some of the things he brings up in this podcast could be implemented in our church one day.

http://mormonstories.org/

Don't women already have some say about who gets called in the Relief Society? I'm not quite sure myself, actually.

How he put it is that any bishop that calls anyone in the ward should confer with the RS President, because she usually knows more what's going on in the ward than most.

Don't women already have some say about who gets called in the Relief Society? I'm not quite sure myself, actually.

And to answer your question, yes the RS President is asked to pray about her choices of who will serve with her in the presidency and give those names to the bishop, along with all the other presidencies in the different auxiliaries. As presidencies they will pray for ideas of who to call to various callings having to do with that particular auxiliary. But it is up to the bishop who is eventually called. According to Greg, he believes the RS President could/should be in on that final say. Almost putting her at the level of bishop.

How he put it is that any bishop that calls anyone in the ward should confer with the RS President, because she usually knows more what's going on in the ward than most.

I wouldn't be so sure this doesn't already happen in ward counsel.

I was once a counselor in a Bishopric when my wife was compassionate service leader. The Bishop decided he would make that a couples calling from there on out because we got so much valuable intelligence on the sisters needs from her. We of course kept confidences and didn't discuss particulars about any individual but it was a good plan at the time.

The Bishop can use any inspiration he wants to help with callings but ultimately it is up to the Lord to make the inspiration.

I really love that Greg Prince mentioned things contained in this podcast that have been discussed on this board already. Women holding the priesthood is one. Greg said something to the effect that women don't necessarily need or want the priesthood but what they do want is a say in certain matters. Greg mentions that it wouldn't take any changes to church doctrine to make that happen in our wards or stakes. For example the Relief Society President having more input on members being called into various callings.

He also mentions something about our Sacrament services maybe needing a facelift (my word), like better music, or better trained speakers with training courses for members, etc. that they've apparently done in the past.

He even mentions bringing in string instruments etc. for our music worship. I wish some of the things he brings up in this podcast could be implemented in our church one day.

http://mormonstories.org/

I don't think you have a clue. There isn't a call made to the RS organization she doesn't approve. In our ward she is to every PEC and ward council meeting.She has as much input in what goes on in the ward as our priesthood quorum presidencies. If she thinks something needs done she suggests it. Of Course every thing done in the ward ultimately is the bishops call but his counselors, the PEC and the ward council have input and the RS Pres. is a member of both.

And to answer your question, yes the RS President is asked to pray about her choices of who will serve with her in the presidency and give those names to the bishop, along with all the other presidencies in the different auxiliaries. As presidencies they will pray for ideas of who to call to various callings having to do with that particular auxiliary. But it is up to the bishop who is eventually called. According to Greg, he believes the RS President could/should be in on that final say. Almost putting her at the level of bishop.

In a word we should look like and be like the politically correct world. The bishop is the final arbiter of what goes on in the ward. The RS has as much say as any one else.

I go for a worship service and not a rock concert.

No I couldn't handle it either if it were like that. But a little tweeking could be done perhaps. Just like they did many years ago, right after Sacrament meeting they had the adults stay in the chapel and practice singing hymns, usually one or two before moving onto SS. I'm older so many of you probably don't remember doing this. But I'm sure there are ways to bring it up to speed!! In more ways than one, the tempo could be a little faster I believe. And I can't even say I'm very good at singing. I sit at the back in the cultural hall and if there isn't a hymn book nearby, will forgo singing.

No I couldn't handle it either if it were like that. But a little tweeking could be done perhaps. Just like they did many years ago, right after Sacrament meeting they had the adults stay in the chapel and practice singing hymns, usually one or two before moving onto SS. I'm older so many of you probably don't remember doing this. But I'm sure there are ways to bring it up to speed!! In more ways than one, the tempo could be a little faster I believe. And I can't even say I'm very good at singing. I sit at the back in the cultural hall and if there isn't a hymn book nearby, will forgo singing.

I don't think a little tweeking would do much good. Aside from the choir not many in any given congregation can sing at the correct tempo.

The "rock concert" can be pretty cool...depending on the music. I like some of the modern music. Also, love the older hymns. That was one of the things I liked about the Christian Reformed Church I attended for awhile (about a year); they had a nice blend of both the old and the new.

Archived