Seriously No Politics ×

Church Buys Ads In 'Book Of Mormon' Playbill In L.A.

Fly Fisherman

I wish we would go about doing good and ignoring the bad publicity, I wish there weren't so much PR going on.

Do you also wish the Internet had never been developed? In the media age, it would be irresponsible not to be prepared to respond to publicity, be it good or bad. The fact that the Church is responsive and does so-called PR work does not preclude it from doing good. Christ told us to let our light shine, that we are a beacon on a hill. Would you have us turn out the lights? I understand the tension there may be between this and the command that we should give our alms in secret, but I would reconcile that tension by differentiating between the individual and the collective. Certainly the individual should not broadcast his or her good works. But collectively, the Church should do what it can to draw people to the light, and if that means having an active PR segment in the Church, then I see no problem with that. If we were not doing good, as you put it, there would be no light to draw people, or the light would be rather dim.

Do you also wish the Internet had never been developed? In the media age, it would be irresponsible not to be prepared to respond to publicity, be it good or bad. The fact that the Church is responsive and does so-called PR work does not preclude it from doing good. Christ told us to let our light shine, that we are a beacon on a hill. Would you have us turn out the lights? I understand the tension there may be between this and the command that we should give our alms in secret, but I would reconcile that tension by differentiating between the individual and the collective. Certainly the individual should not broadcast his or her good works. But collectively, the Church should do what it can to draw people to the light, and if that means having an active PR segment in the Church, then I see no problem with that. If we were not doing good, as you put it, there would be no light to draw people, or the light would be rather dim.

Somehow you misunderstood my comment. It will always come down to the non LDS verfiying the fact that LDS are doing good things. I read it all the time in people's comments, they invariably always defend the LDS because of witnessing first hand of them. A billboard or an ad will not even come close to first hand experience that the non mormon will talk about not an ad. We don't need to place costly ads for this. Plus it only, IMHO, makes people suspicious if we need to advertise.

When life hands you a lemon the best thing to do is make it into lemonade.

I must say you are wrong here. You make it into lemon cake... or lemon pie! So delicious! =D <-- As you can tell, TAO likes eating dessert a bit too much ;-).

I wish we would go about doing good and ignoring the bad publicity, I wish there weren't so much PR going on.

Oh, you think we should just let our critics say any ol' thing they want about our faith and not respond... just let all the misrepresentations, half-truths, and some untruths go unanswered so people do not know the true facts but have a skewed image of the Church, and by extension us as individual members??? How is that in any way fair or desirable for our members, who, incidentally, do go about doing numerous good works personally and collectively.

I for one wish it wasn't necessary to resort to PR, but I don't see ignoring the idiocy and sitting silent while things we believe and cherish are being mocked and trampled.

GG

I haven't seen the musical (yet), but I've heard from people who have that the Mormons in the musical actually come across as pretty sympathetic. The musical is scheduled to come to the city where I live, but chances are I will have moved back to Utah by then, so I might miss it. :( We'll see.

In any case, I think the Church's buying ad space in the playbill is a good move. That it's humorous is even better--we don't want people thinking Mormons are too uptight! ;)

Parker and Stone seem to have a love/mock relationship with the Mormons. Even their worst parody has an underpinning of respect. (I have not seen the BOM musical but I have enjoyed their South Park Mormon jokes). The placement of this advertisement is both hilarious and appropriate. I'm sure Parker, Stone and Playbill are happy to have the ad revenue and there may be more than one person saying "I joined the church because I went to the BOM musical and wanted to find out more".

Now that would be an awesome conversion story!

I must say you are wrong here. You make it into lemon cake... or lemon pie! So delicious! =D <-- As you can tell, TAO likes eating dessert a bit too much ;-).

And you are wrong, wrong, wrong also. TAO, you are so quick to judge, yet you just do character projection.

If life hands you lemons, squeeze them in somebody else's eyes.

I haven't seen the musical (yet), but I've heard from people who have that the Mormons in the musical actually come across as pretty sympathetic. The musical is scheduled to come to the city where I live, but chances are I will have moved back to Utah by then, so I might miss it. :sad: We'll see.

In any case, I think the Church's buying ad space in the playbill is a good move. That it's humorous is even better--we don't want people thinking Mormons are too uptight! ;)

I'm going to get flak for saying this, but I don't think church funds or tithing should ever be used for costly ads. I see people giving up alot to be able to pay their tithing at the end of the year. When I worked at a credit union some would come and get loans for tithing settlement! This has tainted my feelings I guess.

Oh, you think we should just let our critics say any ol' thing they want about our faith and not respond... just let all the misrepresentations, half-truths, and some untruths go unanswered so people do not know the true facts but have a skewed image of the Church, and by extension us as individual members??? How is that in any way fair or desirable for our members, who, incidentally, do go about doing numerous good works personally and collectively.

I for one wish it wasn't necessary to resort to PR, but I don't see ignoring the idiocy and sitting silent while things we believe and cherish are being mocked and trampled.

GG

Do you not understand? The church is great as long as they keep quiet and don't make waves.

I'm going to get flak for saying this, but I don't think church funds or tithing should ever be used for costly ads. I see people giving up alot to be able to pay their tithing at the end of the year. When I worked at a credit union some would come and get loans for tithing settlement! This has tainted my feelings I guess.

Advertizing is one way to get the message out. One facet of the church's mission is to get that message out. If we relied solely on member word of mouth we would not reach all the world and our mission is to all the world. What better place to advertize than on a playbill that is directing attention to the church already?

What makes you think that tithing funds are used to buy costly ads? I doubt that actual tithing is used...

GG

What makes you think that tithing funds are used to buy costly ads? I doubt that actual tithing is used...

GG

What difference would it make? Tithes and offerings are to be used for, among other thing, the spreading of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Advertisement in some venues is a very effective way to do this. I would think that advertising on this playbill would reach those who are already interested in some way. It should be quite effective.

Archived