Seriously No Politics ×

Romney To Speak On Mormonism Tomorrow Night

Zakuska

Zakuska:

I really wish he wouldn't talk about his faith at any political event, let alone at a party's political convention. It comes across as an "I am not a witch" speech. It is at best a distraction. Moreover the injection of religion into politics never goes well.

Hello TSS... my friend that will cancel out my vote, and vice versa... lol...

It hasn't been Romney that has interjected his faith into politics... in fact, he has been so careful not to discuss it, but due to continued references to his religion he is having to pull a JFK and say something about it... the way JFK had to do about his Catholic faith.

I don't expect him to go into anything doctrinal, only to assure that the Church will not be dictating his decisions and/or running things from the background. I expect him to simply repeat what he has said in the past... that he is a man of faith, that he believes in God, and in Jesus Christ as the son of God. He'll keep it simple but hopefully reassuring to those who keep harping on his being a Mormon...

GG

GG:

As a person I like Romney. I'd be comfortable with him as my Bishop. But voting for him for the Presidency of the US is another matter.

To me the injection of any religion, or lack there of, in politics is a nonstarter. Romney has already given his version of the JFK speech, and few believed him. I don't see what, if anything, would be gained by a reiteration of it.

I don't believe that Romney can get away from being a Mormon, and I don't expect him to. What I don't accept is the idea that someones religion should be the basis for governance. As a wise man once said "Show me what you do, and I'll know what you believe".

GG:

As a person I like Romney. I'd be comfortable with him as my Bishop. But voting for him for the Presidency of the US is another matter.

To me the injection of any religion, or lack there of, in politics is a nonstarter. Romney has already given his version of the JFK speech, and few believed him. I don't see what, if anything, would be gained by a reiteration of it.

I don't believe that Romney can get away from being a Mormon, and I don't expect him to. What I don't accept is the idea that someones religion should be the basis for governance. As a wise man once said "Show me what you do, and I'll know what you believe".

He is the best man in the race...a and might possibly be the most religious in 100's of years.

Zakuska:

I really wish he wouldn't talk about his faith at any political event, let alone at a party's political convention. It comes across as an "I am not a witch" speech. It is at best a distraction. Moreover the injection of religion into politics never goes well.

I don't mind at all if Romney talks about his Mormonism but I agree it should be done carefully. He spoken of his mormonism done so effectively in the past. When I can I'll find a video of him answering a question of what his greatest failure was in his life. This question was asked by a moderator during his seatorial race against the late Senator Kennedy. The service he spoke of and his desire to do better are marks of a good Mormon. In this manner I think he should very much talk of his faith.

UPDATE: I found the video. Although the author of the post clearly used it to dismiss candidate Romney, I found Romney's answer profound and very "Mormon". I also foud Romney being cut off more humorous than aything else. http://videocafe.cro...ersonal-failing

Pa Pa:

He is the best man in the race...a and might possibly be the most religious in 100's of years.

Whether he is the best man in the race is debatable. Facts Matter. That he may be the most religious is nothing to cheer. In politics I fear men of the cloth as much as I fear men on white horses

Revelation 6:1-2 King James Version (KJV)

1 aAnd I saw when the Lamb opened one of the bseals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four cbeasts saying, Come and see.

2 And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.

GG:

I see, what if he had D next to his name?

But he suscribes to the most weirdest religious beliefs in 100's of years

I was not aware he subscribed to your belief system??

GG:

Good morning TSS...

I saw that speech four years ago... it appeared completely sincere... I don't understand why people wouldn't believe him. No, they just keep bringing it up, bringing it up... you don't see Romney bringing up his Mormonism, only responding to questions with the general fact that he believes in God and in his son Jesus Christ as his Savior.

What gives you the idea that Romney's religion is going to be the basis for his governance? Perhaps you're not implying that, but your comment leaves that impression. While I agree with you that one's religion shouldn't be the basis for governing, admittedly one's religion does influence a person's character and approach to life in general.

Why are we arguing about this?

from the beach on a lovely, sunny morning... my prayers have included all the dear people in the path of Isaac, as they see their homes submerged in water with the resulting floods... I send you all good wishes TSS...

GG

GG:

Great to talk with you at any time. I'm not arguing so I apologize that I came across that way to you.

Romney's JFK speech sounded sincere to both of us, but then both of us are LDS(A small often misunderstood religious minority). From articles in the Newspapers and the Internet few believed him. So that is what I'm basing my statements on.

I know what the Church teaches. However from Romney's own words I honestly don't know what he actually believes. I take him at his word he is LDS. His own campaign manager calls him the "Etch-A-Sketch" candidate. Is he going to govern, assuming he is elected, as he governed in Massachusetts? As a moderate "Pro-choice" Republican, or is he the "Severe Republican" Personhood Amendment "Absolutely" as he is running as now? I don't know. Does anyone know other than Romney? If one is the true Romney, and the other just for show. Which one is it? I sure don't know.

Warm weather and cool beach breezes to you dear friend.

From articles in the Newspapers and the Internet few believed him.
Primarily those who viewed the LDS faith as a cult and nonChristian....which was hardly Romney's fault.

Hopefully they are a bit more educated now and that won't be so great of a problem.

Romney did good talking about the church. However, the rest of the RNC was a great deal of propaganda that is reminiscent of the 2008 DNC and RNC. Fascism is amock.

I apologize for being too political.

ETA: I did like what Romney said about women having as much say in policy making and decision making as men. If only this could go beyond politics...

Did I miss something? I didn't hear much about the church. Kinda glad he didn't do alot of speaking on it. I think what the American public wants to hear are the plans he has in mind for helping the nation.

Nah the talking heads were making predictions and getting it wrong as usual. Christie was supposed to be the hammer. The convention was going to be a bunch of white males talking. Romney will talk about Mormonism... 0 for 3.

Romney did good talking about the church. However, the rest of the RNC was a great deal of propaganda that is reminiscent of the 2008 DNC and RNC. Fascism is amock.

I apologize for being too political.

ETA: I did like what Romney said about women having as much say in policy making and decision making as men. If only this could go beyond politics...

What do you think a party convention is supposed to be about? Of course there is propaganda. And that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Fascism? Godwin much?

There goes the thread. Sighs. Is it really that difficult to have a discussion about Romney and mormonism without getting political?

And there was plenty of talk about Romney's Church service tonight. And as I said, i saw a commentator who learned something about the Church from the stories.

There goes the thread. Sighs. Is it really that difficult to have a discussion about Romney and mormonism without getting political?

And there was plenty of talk about Romney's Church service tonight. And as I said, i saw a commentator who learned something about the Church from the stories.

What would that have been?

Archived