Brian William'S Rock Center: Mormon In America

Tacenda

I watched the one tonite and it was allright. Surprised "as all get out" that that woman had only drunk one coke in her life, I think I drink that like once a week! Wouldn't mind having a Mormon in Canada or Mormon in England or Mormon in Germany or Russia, might see some differences!

I watched the one tonite and it was allright. Surprised "as all get out" that that woman had only drunk one coke in her life, I think I drink that like once a week! Wouldn't mind having a Mormon in Canada or Mormon in England or Mormon in Germany or Russia, might see some differences!

A Russian is more likely to drink kvas, carbonated mineral water, baikal, grusheviy dar, or sayani.

From a mainstream media source, it was about as positive as possible. The only part that made me sad was when the Huntsman daughter tearfully said she left the church because her bishop counseled her not to date the non-LDS man who became her husband. He told her that her children would miss out on the blessings of the gospel. She said she could not go back after that experience.

Sorry Sister Huntsman, your bishop was right. Not just your children, but your children's children and so on down through all generations of the earth.

It's not a two-parter. I watched last week's program. There was a promo for tonight's, but there was no Part 1. Tonight's was the only installment.

Totally thought the cameos they had on the website was from last week.

What did you think? I was shocked they showed the garments and took it from a questionable site on the internet.

Someone just posted that on another board (the garments in reference to this program). So, they actually did show the garments??

I had company, so missed the program. Hope I can watch it on the NBC site or somewhere.

From a mainstream media source, it was about as positive as possible. The only part that made me sad was when the Huntsman daughter tearfully said she left the church because her bishop counseled her not to date the non-LDS man who became her husband. He told her that her children would miss out on the blessings of the gospel. She said she could not go back after that experience.

Sorry Sister Huntsman, your bishop was right. Not just your children, but your children's children and so on down through all generations of the earth.

Often non-members convert. I have personally seen that happen twice, since I've been in the church. Most recently was a good friend of mine who had been married to a non-member, for years. He finally converted and they have, since, been married in the Temple.

Why don't we resolve to make her and her husband feel always welcome. Let's make sure we don't do or say or write anything that will push her away any further. We DO need her in the Church. We Do miss her. And we are, I hope, sorry she was offended (regardless of whether the Bishop was "right" or "wrong). There is always room at the table of the Lord for all of us sinners.

As I had to remind my wife as we watched the program, Abby Huntsman was describing what someone else said a number of years ago, and that person was not available to correct any potential errors. It's called hearsay and is considered to be inherently unreliable. I am certain that Abby received some counsel when she was dating a non-member, and she probably didn't like the counsel, but I doubt that was the only factor that has led to years of inactivity. Perhaps through her involvement on the program the yearnings to again associate with the Saints will be sparked and she'll come back finding that we're not nearly so dogmatic as she may remember. (I found it touching that the young man who is in the Book of Mormon musical got a bit choked up when he talked about what his mission experience meant to him. The Spirit of the Lord will strive with us long after we may have given up on ourselves with regard to Church involvement.)

My only criticism of the show was that the members spotlighted were not really very typical, i.e. a mixed-race family that apparently eschews cold caffeinated drinks; an active LDS gay man; an inactive LDS gay man; an active LDS feminist; and Abby Huntsman. On the other hand, perhaps that is what was needed to be seen . . . that the Church can embrace otherwise non-traditional types. It would have been fun to have had a short panel discussion amongst Temple Recommend holding members about whether or not Coke is ok. That would have really confused America. :)

I was shocked they showed that photo of the garments too! (Ive seen that picture before floating around the internet...) It made me think...I KNEW it! I KNEW they would do or show something wrong!! Figures!

I agree they should have showed a bit more of a variety of the members. I guess overall it was okay....

What stood out to me was the humanitarian center and the bishop's storehouse. I've shopped there for other's on occasion and it's really good food with alot of variety, especially their chocolate ice cream from the BYU Creamery in Provo! I'm told it tastes very good anyway. So it showed that the church is very "be your brother's keeper" oriented.

Edit: I have to add that it was kind of "lying for the Lord" when the church official was asked why the blacks were denied the Priesthood until 1978, the gentlemen answered that "we don't know why". But that's not quite true, even my struggling TBM husband was the one to speak out on that one.

I'm worried this will be just another hatchet job....... :sad:

Hi Ginger...

I stumbled across it halfway through, but what I saw was terrific... it showed a tour of the Bishop's storehouse in Salt Lake... the newsperson taking the tour kept remarking how mind boggling it was to see all the items. He was clearly impressed... nothing fancy... just solid items to sustain people, and how Costco would be envious at the amount and organization of the supplies. What I saw was very even handed and even had reports from some who had left the Church for one reason or another, etc. I'm sorry I didn't see more...

GG

Edit: I have to add that it was kind of "lying for the Lord" when the church official was asked why the blacks were denied the Priesthood until 1978, the gentlemen answered that "we don't know why". But that's not quite true, even my struggling TBM husband was the one to speak out on that one.

So what was the reason? Or are you implying he needed to come forward and state the myriad of theories proposed, none of which ever official doctrine (and all of them rejected by the church at present) and elaborate on them as doctrine?

The Bishop's Storehouse* and Mixed-Race Family segments were very strong and I thought showed the Church in a very positive light.

It was also great how they used our own LDS-produced Church history films to show reenactments of key events in Church history.

Obviously, the Huntsman woman and picture of the garments were the low point.

I thought it was good how they had a faithful, active gay member of the Church, and a gay former member of the Church (tying in the Book of Mormon musical as well).

Brian Williams said at the outset that many Americans know almost nothing about "Mormons", and that the purpose of the show was to give them some familiarity with the Church and its members. I think taken as a whole, it did an admirable job. They also didn't dwell on polygamy (although they did include a crass joke from "The Family Guy"), or even mention the Mountain Meadows Massacre that I recall.

*I was especially struck by the point that Romney, being a former Bishop, would have had years of practical (volunteer!) experience in working with people struggling with financial (and other) matters. What valuable experience for someone seeking the White House. It's easy to make him into a caricature of a wealthy businessman only looking out for the rich, but when I think of him counseling people, helping them with their budgets, and filling out storehouse orders to help them get their food for the month, it definitely brings out a side to him that I'm sure his opponents wouldn't want us to see.

Often non-members convert. I have personally seen that happen twice, since I've been in the church. Most recently was a good friend of mine who had been married to a non-member, for years. He finally converted and they have, since, been married in the Temple.

The Church walks a fine line between strongly "encouraging" youth and YSA's to only date worthy members of the Church, and being supportive of those who choose to marry non-members.

But when the rubber hits the road, the counsel is pretty clear: don't date non-members!

In other words, while Sister Huntsman may inaccurately reported the words of the Bishop, if he had said what she said he said, he would only have been reiterating the words of the Prophets and Apostles.

We are concerned and disturbed that many of the people are married by justices of the peace or bishops or ministers, when there are temples of God which guarantee that if there is righteousness there will be happiness forever and eternally.

It is very shortsighted for any girl to choose someone who cannot take her to the temple, or for any boy to go with a girl who cannot go to the temple with him. You cannot afford to take a chance on falling in love with someone who may never accept the gospel.

Yes, a small minority of non-members who marry members are finally baptized. Some good men and women have joined the Church after marrying a member and have remained most devout and active; God bless them! We are proud of them and grateful for them. These are our blessed minority.

Others who do not join the Church are still kind, considerate and cooperative, and permit the member spouse to worship and serve according to the Church pattern. God bless them also!

Many others join the Church just for the marriage, then fail to live the commandments. Many of them are later divorced. Others, though not divorced, continue to have problems, particularly in religious matters in the home.

The majority, however, do not join the Church. Surveys have indicated that only one of seven finally join the Church. It is unlikely that the others ever will join the Church. And nearly half of those who marry out of the Church become inactive. As parents give up their religion, an increasing number of their children are brought up without any religion.

So you are taking a desperate chance if you say, “Well, maybe he will join after we are married. We will go ahead and try it and see.” It is a pretty serious thing to take a chance on.

Frequently young people think, “Oh, that doesn’t matter. We’ll get along all right. We’ll adjust ourselves. My spouse will permit me to do as I please or I will make adjustments. We’ll both live and worship according to our own pattern.” This is not being liberal, but even if it were, to be liberal with the Lord’s eternal program is somewhat like being generous with other people’s money.

The Importance of Celestial Marraige

First Presidency Message

As you enter your adult years, make dating and marriage a high priority. Seek a companion who is worthy to go to the temple to be sealed to you for time and all eternity. Marrying in the temple and creating an eternal family are essential in God’s plan of happiness.

The Strength of the Youth

Edit: I have to add that it was kind of "lying for the Lord" when the church official was asked why the blacks were denied the Priesthood until 1978, the gentlemen answered that "we don't know why".

CFR on why then.

CFR on why then.

Is this letter legit? If so, it may have been more accurate to say the ban was instituted as a result of direct commandment from the Lord. Also seems to be as a "consequence of their fathers rejecting the power of the holy priesthood, and the law of God"

You will need to find the letter from another source. You may not link to anti-Mormon sites that post temple content. Sorry.

The Church walks a fine line between strongly "encouraging" youth and YSA's to only date worthy members of the Church, and being supportive of those who choose to marry non-members.

But when the rubber hits the road, the counsel is pretty clear: don't date non-members!

In other words, while Sister Huntsman may inaccurately reported the words of the Bishop, if he had said what she said he said, he would only have been reiterating the words of the Prophets and Apostles.

Oh, yes, I know that it is strongly encouraged to marry within the church. Just saying, that marrying outside of the church, doesn't always mean that one will be forever "deprived of the blessings" of the church....which is what Ann Huntsman, claimed, her Bishop told her. I am married to a non-member, and I never felt deprived of any blessings...and was, in fact, told by my Bishop that I would not be, if I were faithful.

Oh, yes, I know that it is strongly encouraged to marry within the church. Just saying, that marrying outside of the church, doesn't always mean that one will be forever "deprived of the blessings" of the church....which is what Ann Huntsman, claimed, her Bishop told her. I am married to a non-member, and I never felt deprived of any blessings...and was, in fact, told by my Bishop that I would not be, if I were faithful.

Here's how Abbie Huntsman tells the story:

The reason I really left was because of an experience I had with a Bishop.

It was when I first met my husband - at the time we'd only dated three weeks - and he found out that I was dating someone that wasn't a member of the Church and called me in and said "I'm very concerned about you, and your life, and do you love him?"

And I said "Well, I've only known him three weeks, and he's a great guy..." and at that point I just said "Whoever I fall in love with, I fall in love with, I'm not going to live in this bubble anymore, I just need to live my life for me."

And he basically said "You know, you're not going to have the blessings, your kids will not be blessed, if you end up marrying this man..."

And he's such a great guy, that in my heart...I just get kind of emotional about it, because for a Bishop to tell me how I needed to live my life, and that I would or would not be blessed because of it, was very difficult, and I know that I am one of many, many different women that go through experiences like that.

And I walked out that door and couldn't go back.

(starts at 9:30 in part three)

Whether or not the Church teaches that there are blessing available in "the Church" and in this life to those who are married in the Temple, that are not otherwise available to couples that are not married in the Temple, I guess we'll each have to decide. :unknw:

Archived