Seriously No Politics ×

"God Looks Not On The Outward Man"...Or Does He?

Currently I am driving about 20 miles to Church, passing by many other Churches that are finishing services (we meet in the afternoon). I have noted that many in this day attend Church in shorts, T- Shirts and flip flops. At one very large Church it was amazing to see how many who were dressed like a day at the lake. Our Church puts a lot of stock in people dressing in our "Sunday best".

I grew up in a Baptist Church; my grandmother (especially) taught us that when visiting the "house of the Lord" you dress with respect. The white shirt is the stuff of thread legend in this church, but not doing so is not that big a deal, but most wear ties. Is this just cultural or is it of importance due to respect?

Do we (or others) take the scripture too literal about God looking "not" on the outward man?

Our outward appearance is a reflection of utterly arbitrary cultural norms. It's not "disrespect" in Hawaii to go to church in surf shorts. I usually wear a black shirt and dark jeans to church. Trousers are descended from the clothes of the horse-riding nomads of the steppes. Why are they better than a loincloth made by folks in tropical areas? Moroni was naked but for a loose robe which revealed his bosom; I somehow doubt that his style of dress would be very welcome in many a ward today. The time we waste freaking out about mere fashion is mind-boggling.

If there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; and ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, "Sit thou here in a good place"; and say to the poor, "Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool": are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts? Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him? But ye have despised the poor.
Edited by JeremyOrbe-Smith
Do we (or others) take the scripture too literal about God looking "not" on the outward man

God doesn't look down on another because his ragged clothes are the best he has. God doesn't judge us by where we are but by how far we've come. Looking on the outside of a what a person is or has is wrong. We don't know their hearts or their thinking, or how far they have come. Leave it to God

Currently I am driving about 20 miles to Church, passing by many other Churches that are finishing services (we meet in the afternoon). I have noted that many in this day attend Church in shorts, T- Shirts and flip flops. At one very large Church it was amazing to see how many who were dressed like a day at the lake. Our Church puts a lot of stock in people dressing in our "Sunday best".

I grew up in a Baptist Church; my grandmother (especially) taught us that when visiting the "house of the Lord" you dress with respect. The white shirt is the stuff of thread legend in this church, but not doing so is not that big a deal, but most wear ties. Is this just cultural or is it of importance due to respect?

Do we (or others) take the scripture too literal about God looking "not" on the outward man?

Are the Deacons required to wear a white shirt and tie?

Are the Deacons required to wear a white shirt and tie?

required ... no! are they asked to if they can... yes - out of the handbook

Respect for the day, for each other and reverence for the covenant, making this a special day not a regular day suggests a putting away of other worldly things and seeking the best and the uplifting.

Thus... "Sunday Best" clothing.

Agreed. No excuses

Speaking of "utterly arbitrary cultural norms", the uber-casual dress code of many non-denominational churches is a descendant of the loosening of societal standards in the 60's and 70's. Trying to make church relevant to young people, many young ministers adopted as truth the principle that "God loves you just the way you are". From this admirable saying came such silliness as praise bands and showing up to church looking like a street person, not to mention cults ministries.

Until the day Zion is built we will have to endure this silliness about proper attire. One little cross to bear.

I was told once that it would not matter if you attended nude, as long as you are praising God.So where is the line of respect. Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

I teach my children that God doesn't care what we wear to church. He cares whether or not what we wear shows respect for Him and the occassion.

Personally, i think the clothes we wear to church are less about what they look like, and more about how they make us feel. One of the things I learned while working with the youth is that what you choose to wear makes a huge impact on how you act.

It's amazing to see the difference in attitude and therefore actions between a group of teenagers in sweats/jammies and the same group in nice jeans and nice shirts. We quickly learned that if something was important, we needed to encourage a type of dress that signified that. It made all the difference for the kids, and their experiences during those 'important' meetings or activities were so much more indepth and significant than they had been before.

It's in Samuel (16:7) where we are told: ..."The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart..."

In my opinion, someone could come in their sunday best, yet their hearts are far away from worship. Someone else could come in rags, yet they truly have a heart for worship. So I really don't believe the Lord cares how someone dresses for church, rather how they come prepared for worship in their hearts.

Maybe I spend too much time at the church homeless missions. I see people come to church dressed in clothes I would wash before cleaning my car with them. Yet their passion for Jesus astounds me. Besides that, I HATE ties and believe some sadistic demon started the trend of men wearing nooses around our necks! :D

It's amazing to see the difference in attitude and therefore actions between a group of teenagers in sweats/jammies and the same group in nice jeans and nice shirts. We quickly learned that if something was important, we needed to encourage a type of dress that signified that. It made all the difference for the kids, and their experiences during those 'important' meetings or activities were so much more indepth and significant than they had been before.

I just wish culturally we could reverse everything and make comfortable clothes the nice ones and uncomfortable ones (like suits and ties) the casual ones. Then this problem would be solved and I could wear jammies to church. Who is with me?!?!?!?!