Seriously No Politics ×

Tasty Food Recipes

cursor

So I invented a dish back in December and have now made it several times. I call it 'Korean omelette', though no Korean would ever recognise it.

Basically, stir-fry vegetables (I like cabbage, mushrooms, carrots, onions, and green beans. Bean shoots would also be really good, but I never have those.) Then mix the cooked veg with boiled/drained potato starch (glass) noodles and season as one would for jap chae. I use mushroom soy sauce, Indonesian sweet soy sauce (kecap manis), toasted sesame oil, sugar, salt, black pepper, and sesame seeds.

For each serve beat three eggs with about 40mL of water, a good splash of sesame oil, and salt/pepper. Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat and cook the omelette the normal way (scraping to the middle whilst tipping the pan to cause the liquid to move to the outside). As the omelette nears done, add the filling mixture on half, fold it over, and invert on a dinner plate.

Then sauce the top with Korean gochujang thinned with cider vinegar, swirl on some Kewpie mayonnaise, and then sprinkle with sesame seeds and seaweed flakes.

So good!

2 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Bean shoots would also be really good, but I never have those.

They are relatively easy to grow if you can get the seeds.   I used one of those bulk mayonnaise jars, but I am liking the juice bottle version here as lighter weight.  I am thinking it is time to see if my seeds are still viable.

https://www.lafujimama.com/how-to-grow-mung-bean-sprouts/

That Kewpie Mayo looks like something my daughter would love, it’s been added to my monthly Amazon order. Thanks!

So the soy sauces….how different in flavor are they?  Anything that helps make food more appealing to my daughter.  She used to live on my stir fries, but just don’t appeal to her anymore for some reason (very little does).

I already have the glass noodles. I am tempted to make this tonight, with coconut aminos (cuts down on sodium for me) in place of the soy sauce and regular Mayo of course. I like agave in place of sugar in stir fries. 

Edited by Calm
26 minutes ago, Calm said:

That Kewpie Mayo looks like something my daughter would love, it’s been added to my monthly Amazon order. Thanks!

You're going to love it! It has a flavour nothing else can replicate.

So the soy sauces….how different in flavor are they?

Very. The mushroom one is dark and complex. The Indonesian one is wonderfully sweet in a coconut palm sugar kind of way. You can probably just use regular soy sauce and more sugar/sweetener, though.

ETA: I just did a quick online search, and a lot of recipes just use regular soy, brown sugar and/or honey, and sesame oil.

I am tempted to make this tonight ...

Let me know how you go!

On 9/7/2020 at 5:36 AM, Calm said:

As long as you had some fresh herbs and something else bright in color for eye appeal...maybe a dark or intense color plate or table cloth, something to make the food pop.

If food isn’t attractive in appearance, the experience isn’t as elevating or satisfying.  

I'm in "start thinking about dinner" mode, and so decided to check out this thread.

Lots of great ideas!

But the thing that resonated with me most was what you said about needing colour, Calm.  I agree!

It reminded me of an experience about 12 years ago when I ordered a meal in Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic.  (We were there for a niece's wedding.)

In this particular restaurant, I ordered the food that appealed to me without thinking what it would look like.  When my plate was served, it was entirely beige!  The pork, mashed potatoes and sauerkraut were only slight variations on the beige theme. Czech cuisine is not big on fresh vegetables!  I took one look at my plate and lost my appetite!

You can bet our dinner tonight will have lots of colour!

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2022 at 9:28 AM, Paloma said:

When my plate was served, it was entirely beige!  The pork, mashed potatoes and sauerkraut were only slight variations on the beige theme.

A slight variation on what you ordered is vepřo knedlo zelo, with bread dumplings in place of the mash. This is often considered the Czech national dish. And whilst delicious, it is, as you noted, not colourful:

czech-knedlo-vepro-zelo.jpg

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
  • 1 month later...

Bean Burgers were a favorite of my spouse and children when we were all together.  Simple, easy and fast to prepare, requiring just a few ingrediants.  Great for when you cleaned house all day and just want something quick for supper.

For a large family:

2 cans of ranch style beans

2 lbs. hamburger or other ground meat

mayonaise

pickle relish

Cook the meat in a large skillet until done.  Drain, add the canned beans, juice n all.  Spread some mayonaise on some buns.  Put the relish then the bean mixture.  (Sweet relish is best).  Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Are tastey but extremely basic recipes welcome?

Parmesan Chicken

"Some" -  Boneless and skinless pieces of chicken
"1 or so" - melted stick of butter in a bowl
"half and half" - bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese in a bowl
Bake on a sheet at 350 decrees until well tan

Green Bean Casserole

"Couple" cans of Green beans per
"a can" - of cream of mushroom soup
"half can of milk" to add to the soup
"a Tsp" of black pepper in the thick soup
Bake for "a long time" so that a layer of brown starts to form on the soup, not just the outer edges. Impatience will give you'll have a still cold center. Remove, from oven.
"top" with a generous amount of a bag of fried onions
Put it back in the oven for a "moment" to toast the fried onions.

And Bam! Its like Emeril Lagasse himslef is on the forum, right?

18 hours ago, Pyreaux said:

... And Bam! Its like Emeril Lagasse himslef is on the forum, right?

Gotta love Emeril: "Oh, yeah, Babe!" ;) :D 

Did you remember to season the chicken? Because I don't know where you get your chicken, but where I get mine it don't come seasoned!

Oh, and don't forget to season both sides - nobody likes one-sided tasting chicken. ;)

• 4 months later...
On 8/22/2012 at 4:36 PM, cursor said:

A search for a general recipe thread turned up only funeral potatoes (I'll have to try them, thanks). I think it'd be worthwhile to have a social thread dedicated to the best family recipes ever. Adding in a little personal/family history, as it relates to a submitted recipe, would add perspective.

I'll start.

When my mother passed away in January of 1989, I somehow inherited my mother's bread-making mixer. For decades previous to the machine's purchase, she would make who-knows-how-many-loaves a week, by hand, to feed our 9-child family. For us bread WAS was in very fact a serious "staff of life"—a very primary staple.Thanks Mom. Milk-toast seriously kicks it for breakfast (at least twice a week for me).

I have since been making bread on a weekly basis—initially trying her regular recipe, then tweaking with time. The basic loaf recipe has evolved, but I think of my Mother with each loaf. I baked two loaves this morning— just now, sharing the first one, in thirds, with three chatting neighbors our front.

Mom rocks ... just like Dad. 😃

So, what recipe(s) are YOU willing to share?

5 cups of whole wheat flour (I like King Arthur's)

3 cups of oats (Quaker's Old Fashioned works fine)

1½ tbsp salt

blend together in a mixing bowl

In a one cup Pyrex unit, combine 1/3 cup molasses with 1/3 cup vegetable oil.

Add a heated 20 oz portion of hot water (115°F)

Add a tablespoon of quick acting yeast.

In mixer (or by hand) blend wet and dry ingredients (knead as required).

Combine all in the mixer for about 6 minutes. (More time only results in tougher bread,)

Separate the resultant batch in two and place in a pair of greased loaf-pans. Let rise for about 30 minutes (or twice the size) while your oven preheats to 350°F ... after which you insert your two loaves in the for 33.33 mins (easy for microwave timer input).

Heaven awaits, folks (and many memories about Mom.)

being very new to this page, and upon seeing this topic, I said to myself, "self, funeral potatoes will be here". And it was the first recipe to pop up. Thanks! 

• 1 month later...

I made this a month or two ago.  I can't believe I haven't put it up before now.  I mean, maybe someone else would be interested, no matter how remote the prospect.  :huh: :unknw: If you don't like coleslaw because cabbage is bitter, and you think that the only way to counteract that bitterness is to go way overboard on the slaw dressing, perhaps this will be more to your liking.

And maybe you don't like coarsely-chopped foods, but personally, I think the fact that the fruit and vegetable here are cut rather than grated is a big selling point.  The crunchiness of the (cut, not grated!) apples and carrots  (along with whole cashews), contrasted with the chewiness of the raisins, and the slight sweetness of the cashews contrasted with the tang of the hand-made slaw dressing ...  Oh, yeah, Babe!  

Carrot and Apple Slaw with Cashews and Raisins

4-6 small apples, cored and diced (I don't peel 'em; I like the color)

About 1 pkg. (16 oz.) baby carrots, julienned*

Cashews, reserved for the last step

Raisins, reserved for the last step

Dressing

1/4 to 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, to taste

About 1 cup Splenda (you can use sugar, too, but I doubt there would be much [if any] difference except for calories)

1 tub (16 oz.) sour cream (I used fat free, but whatever is to your liking)

Pour the dressing over the julienned carrots and diced apples

Refrigerate, preferably overnight but at least a couple of hours (I was a little worried about how well this would keep since I made a big batch, and the "dinner party" "guest list"?  C'est moi!  I was worried my apples might brown, but I think the acidity in the dressing prevented that from happening, and the longer this stuff was in the refrigerator [and this batch lasted me several days], the better the flavors melded.)

Before serving

Top each serving with raisins and cashews

*I cut each carrot in half lengthwise, and then each half in half lengthwise again (at least).  If the carrot is thick, you might want to cut it into even thinner strips.

Maybe I'm simply too used to eating the stuff I make myself (since, as I say, usually, my "guest list" is one name long), but, Man, this stuff was sooooo good!  Happy eating!  If you make it, I'd be interested in knowing how it turned out and what you thought. :D 

Edited by Kenngo1969
41 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I made this a month or two ago.  I can't believe I haven't put it up before now.  I mean, maybe someone else would be interested, no matter how remote the prospect.  :huh: :unknw: If you don't like coleslaw because cabbage is bitter, and you think that the only way to counteract that bitterness is to go way overboard on the slaw dressing, perhaps this will be more to your liking.

And maybe you don't like coarsely-chopped foods, but personally, I think the fact that the fruit and vegetable here are cut rather than grated is a big selling point.  The crunchiness of the (cut, not grated!) apples and carrots  (along with whole cashews), contrasted with the chewiness of the raisins, and the slight sweetness of the cashews contrasted with the tang of the hand-made slaw dressing ...  Oh, yeah, Babe!  

Carrot and Apple Slaw with Cashews and Raisins

4-6 small apples, cored and diced (I don't peel 'em; I like the color)

About 1 pkg. (16 oz.) baby carrots, julienned*

Cashews, reserved for the last step

Raisins, reserved for the last step

Dressing

1/4 to 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, to taste

About 1 cup Splenda (you can use sugar, too, but I doubt there would be much [if any] difference except for calories)

1 tub (16 oz.) sour cream (I used fat free, but whatever is to your liking)

Pour the dressing over the julienned carrots and diced apples

Refrigerate, preferably overnight but at least a couple of hours (I was a little worried about how well this would keep since I made a big batch, and the "dinner party" "guest list"?  C'est moi!  I was worried my apples might brown, but I think the acidity in the dressing prevented that from happening, and the longer this stuff was in the refrigerator [and this batch lasted me several days], the better the flavors melded.)

Before serving

Top each serving with raisins and cashews

*I cut each carrot in half lengthwise, and then each half in half lengthwise again (at least).  If the carrot is thick, you might want to cut it into even thinner strips.

Maybe I'm simply too used to eating the stuff I make myself (since, as I say, usually, my "guest list" is one name long), but, Man, this stuff was sooooo good!  Happy eating!  If you make it, I'd be interested in knowing how it turned out and what you thought. :D 

I saw a recipe similar, was thinking of making. Maybe I'll try yours instead!

36 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I saw a recipe similar, was thinking of making. Maybe I'll try yours instead!

I didn't copy it!  I resent the implication! :angry: 

;) :D 

4 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Hold the raisins and throw in grapes and you have got me all in. I prefer chunky rather than grated too.

I do not like the taste of Splenda at all, it is very different to sugar for me…and my daughter is a super taster and is tons more sensitive than so am, she dislikes the no salt salt which has only a slightly different taste to me, so if it got by me, wouldn’t work for her. :)  So for those like us, my suggestions for substitutions…

I like monkfruit, though I use quite a bit less as it is too sweet even when formulated to be 1 to 1 with sugar (though since I rarely do sweetened these days that has a lot to do with it). Just started using Allulose and am finding that the best sugar substitute at this point, but have only used it in one recipe so there may be other factors besides taste that might take it down to second place.

Edited by Calm
11 hours ago, Calm said:

Just started using Allulose and am finding that the best sugar substitute at this point,

Where do you purchase Allulose (in Utah county), or are you buying it online?  I would like to try it. 

It seems like a nice alternative to regular table sugar.  From what I've read, it's about 70% as sweet (as regular table sugar), with a very similar (non-bitter) taste profile.  It's a "rare sugar" because it's naturally-occurring in only a few foods (like wheat, figs and raisins).  It's similar to fructose (a much more common monosaccharide), but with a slightly different chemical arrangement; and this prevents it from being absorbed in the human body the way fructose is -- most allulose is eliminated in the urine; so it has a very low caloric value (about 1 tenth that of regular table sugar.)  It isn't metabolized in the human mouth, so it doesn't cause cavities; and it has no effect on blood glucose or insulin.

14 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Believe what you wish, Ma'am.  I've never seen that site before you linked to it.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Okrahomer said:

Where do you purchase Allulose (in Utah county), or are you buying it online?  I would like to try it. 

It seems like a nice alternative to regular table sugar.  From what I've read, it's about 70% as sweet (as regular table sugar), with a very similar (non-bitter) taste profile.  It's a "rare sugar" because it's naturally-occurring in only a few foods (like wheat, figs and raisins).  It's similar to fructose (a much more common monosaccharide), but with a slightly different chemical arrangement; and this prevents it from being absorbed in the human body the way fructose is -- most allulose is eliminated in the urine; so it has a very low caloric value (about 1 tenth that of regular table sugar.)  It isn't metabolized in the human mouth, so it doesn't cause cavities; and it has no effect on blood glucose or insulin.

Are you in my neck of the woods (North Utah County)?

6 hours ago, Okrahomer said:

It sounds great, doesn’t it. :) 

I am just getting it from Amazon. I have to do low sodium and low sugar (helps my Meniere’s in a big way) and since I can’t drive again yet Amazon is a blessing, I don’t want my husband to have to drive all over looking for those alternatives….or pay the higher costs of health food stores. 

19 hours ago, Calm said:

It sounds great, doesn’t it. :) 

I am just getting it from Amazon. I have to do low sodium and low sugar (helps my Meniere’s in a big way) and since I can’t drive again yet Amazon is a blessing, I don’t want my husband to have to drive all over looking for those alternatives….or pay the higher costs of health food stores. 

And we found it last night at Harmons.  But I suspect it was more expensive ($10 for 12 oz!) than what you have found on Amazon.  We bought a pouch to experiment with this weekend. 

Cal, You may, of course, tweak the recipe however you wish, especially since you're doing so in an effort to meet the challenging dietary needs of a family member, but would dried cranberries raise blood sugar as much as raisins apparently do?

5 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Cal, You may, of course, tweak the recipe however you wish, especially since you're doing so in an effort to meet the challenging dietary needs of a family member, but would dried cranberries raise blood sugar as much as raisins apparently do?

I just don’t like the taste of raisins for some reason. Love grapes. 

Dried pineapple is a great substitute as well. 

Edited by Calm