Seriously No Politics ×

Tasty Food Recipes

cursor

Grape Nuts work well in my experience (even if I don't like them as a cold cereal...but I don't like any cold cereal besides unsweetened shredded wheat since I hit my teens, sugared cold milk is gross).

1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

An idea that works well..just a thought.

In any cookie recipe that calls for oatmeal..use leftover cereal crumbs.  Crumble up some  Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes, and Cheeriosr is great!  I love using Frosted Flakes and Honey Nut anything for a little sweetness.

The first time i read this i read it as 'use leftover bread crumbs' and my first thought was 'I think i'll pass......'  :lol:

4 minutes ago, bluebell said:

The first time i read this i read it as 'use leftover bread crumbs' and my first thought was 'I think i'll pass......'  :lol:

Oh that would be a hoot..peanut butter and bread crumbs..with jelly in between...oh wait..:D

4 hours ago, Calm said:

Grape Nuts work well in my experience (even if I don't like them as a cold cereal...but I don't like any cold cereal besides unsweetened shredded wheat since I hit my teens, sugared cold milk is gross).

My neighbor introduced me to this recipe.  But she replaced the pecans with Grape Nuts cereal.  It's absolutely yummy!  Better than the pecans I'm betting.  This recipe is the low fat, low sugar version, but I don't use it.  Maybe it won't be as good, or maybe it's better. But I've only used the regular ingredients.  

Too lazy to find the recipe in my messy drawer, wish I could remember it off the top of my head, but copied it off Pinterest instead.    

Grape Nut Salad

Prep Time

20 min

Ingredients

1 package (8 ounces) 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened

1 cup (8 ounces) lite sour cream

2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons sugar splenda blend

2 tablespoons vanilla extract

2 pounds seedless red grapes

2 pounds seedless green grapes

2 cups fat free cool whip

3 tablespoons brown sugar-to garnish (optional)

3 tablespoons chopped pecans-to garnish (optional)

Instructions

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, cool whip, sugar and vanilla until blended. Add grapes and toss to coat.

Transfer to a serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Sprinkle with brown sugar and pecans just before serving. Enjoy!

grape_salad_spoon.jpg

Edited by Tacenda
On 5/6/2016 at 6:10 PM, Calm said:

Forgot about grapenuts..I love them and any kind of unsweetened cereal..I don't use whole milk either..has to be skim.  If I like a little sweetness, I had a pinch of honey.  But I love honey nut anything!  When I was single a kind of poor, I got hooked on Captain Crunch..man..that was mistake!

• 1 month later...

My favorite recipe Shrimp and avocado salad tortillas

1. corn tortillas, sliced into strips
  2. 5tablespoons olive oil
  3. kosher salt and black pepper
  4. 1 1/2pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
  5. 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
  6. 2tablespoons fresh orange juice
  7. 2tablespoons fresh lime juice
  8. 2romaine hearts, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
  9. 1/4small cabbage, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
  10. 1avocado, sliced
  11. 1/4cup roasted pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat oven to 400° F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the tortilla strips with 1 tablespoon of the oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Spread in a single layer and bake, tossing once, until golden and crisp, 7 to 10 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the shrimp with the cumin and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the shrimp until golden and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the orange and lime juices with the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the romaine, cabbage, avocado, and shrimp and toss to combine. Serve the salad topped with the tortilla strips and pepitas.
4 hours ago, Unds1953 said:

My favorite recipe Shrimp and avocado salad tortillas

1. corn tortillas, sliced into strips
  2. 5tablespoons olive oil
  3. kosher salt and black pepper
  4. 1 1/2pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
  5. 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
  6. 2tablespoons fresh orange juice
  7. 2tablespoons fresh lime juice
  8. 2romaine hearts, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
  9. 1/4small cabbage, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
  10. 1avocado, sliced
  11. 1/4cup roasted pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat oven to 400° F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the tortilla strips with 1 tablespoon of the oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Spread in a single layer and bake, tossing once, until golden and crisp, 7 to 10 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the shrimp with the cumin and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the shrimp until golden and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the orange and lime juices with the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the romaine, cabbage, avocado, and shrimp and toss to combine. Serve the salad topped with the tortilla strips and pepitas.

Thanks for this!  I can't wait to try it!  

• 2 months later...

I've had a certain level of cognitive dissonance over this post:. Should it go into the "Last Movie" thread, or the "Recipes" thread?  After long and serious reflection over the the course of about 2 minutes, I've come to the conclusion that this personal tidbit of culinary insight--which originated with the 2013 movie "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"--most definitely belongs here.  

There is a subplot in the movie having to do with a cake that Walter Mitty's mother makes.  The cake is called Clementine Cake.  First of all, I liked the film.  The cinematography is wonderful and the message about embracing life is inspiring.  But this subplot made me wonder if there really was such a thing as "Clementine Cake", and if there was: what did it taste like?  

So I looked it up.  Sure enough, there is actually a thing called Clementine Cake.  In fact, it's apparently quite an old recipe with origins among the Sephardic Jews.

I was intrigued.  So I decided to give it a go.  It was delicious.

CLEMENTINE CAKE

Ingredients:

4 to 5 unpeeled clementines (about 1 pound total weight)   [FYI:  I used Halos]

6 eggs 

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar 

2 1/3 cups of ground almonds   [FYI:  I used Almond meal]

1 heaping teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

Put unpeeled clementines in a pot with cold water to cover, bring to a boil and cook for 2 hours.

Drain and when cool, cut each clementine in half and remove the seeds. Chop everything finely — skins, pith, fruits — in a blender or food processor.

Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter and line with parchment an 8-inch springform pan.

Beat eggs. Add sugar, almonds and baking powder. Mix well and add chopped clementines.

Pour cake mixture into prepared pan and bake for an hour, when a skewer comes out clean. You might want to cover the cake with foil after about 30 to 40 minutes to stop the top from browning too dark. Remove from oven and leave to cool, on a rack, but in the pan. When the cake’s cold, take it out of the pan. The cake tastes even better after sitting for a day. Makes 8 servings.

Edited by Okrahomer
11 hours ago, Calm said:

Wow, that sounds delicious.  I hope I remember by the time the clementines we get are juicy again (right now way too woody, even from Costco).

I just realized I posted and linked to a different recipe.  This is the one I used--there are a few differences.

Edit to Add:

I also read (somewhere) that using the entire orange might make the cake a little bitter--the suggestion (which I took) was to add a little bit of vanilla.  I added a teaspoon.  I think it probably helped...no bitter taste at all.

Edited by Okrahomer
  • 1 month later...

Protein Pancakes, serves about 9 individual pancakes, so for about 3-4 people (or me over the course of a couple days):

1 Cup Oatmeal

1 Cup Cottage Cheese

9 Egg Whites (1.5 cups if it's from - a container I believe)

1.5 scoops of Protein Powder (I used Optimum Nutrition Banana Cream cus it's delicious and turns these into banana pancakes)

3 teaspoons of vanilla extract

Blend all together till smooth, though some lumps are totally fine.

Pour onto pan and make pancakes like normal.

What surprised me most about these is their taste. They were a bit heartier than regular pancakes, but taste and texture wise they were exactly the same.

Nutritionally they're good too. About one pancake is 100 calories with 12-15 grams of protein give or take.

A protein powder that tastes good?  You are delusional now.  Haven't gotten any sleep yet, have you?

So a guess at how many carbs?  I have been making meals for my daughter while she is enduring the round of depression and 70 carbs to fill up on cereal first thing is a bit much.

PS:. Imo, there is nothing wrong with egg yolks and they have a lot of nutrition packed into them.  They have gotten a bad rap for some reason.

Nutritional comparison:

https://www.ahealthiermichigan.org/2011/10/11/the-nurtional-value-of-egg-whites-versus-egg-yolks-what-do-you-use/

Edited by Calm
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2016 at 10:59 PM, Calm said:

A protein powder that tastes good?  You are delusional now.  Haven't gotten any sleep yet, have you?

So a guess at how many carbs?  I have been making meals for my daughter while she is enduring the round of depression and 70 carbs to fill up on cereal first thing is a bit much.

PS:. Imo, there is nothing wrong with egg yolks and they have a lot of nutrition packed into them.  They have gotten a bad rap for some reason.

Nutritional comparison:

https://www.ahealthiermichigan.org/2011/10/11/the-nurtional-value-of-egg-whites-versus-egg-yolks-what-do-you-use/

Sorry, I didn't see this!

Optimum Nutrition. I promise that as far as Protein Powders go, it's actually quite good. I prefer Cookies and Cream or Banana Cream flavour (the latter for the recipe). The best part is that it mixes well and actually maintains a liquid texture, rather than getting chunky and gross.

One serving (the recipe I posted makes 9 servings) contains the following:

95-100 calories

1.4-1.5 grams of lipid/fat (I hate calling it fat, cus of the mistaken idea it causes people to become fat. Dietary fat is absolutely vital for the absorption of vitamins and cell metabolism)

8 grams of carbs

1 gram of fibre

2 grams of sugar

12 grams of protein.

I find that 3 pancakes (or three servings) usually fills me up and makes for a good breakfast. With that you would be getting around 300 calories, about 4.2-4.5 grams of fat, 24 grams of carbs, and an awesome 30-36 grams of protein.

• 1 year later...

Surprise 'em with this unforgettable grilled chicken that combines tangy fruit and savory herb flavors. It's a peach of a meal!

1 lb. peaches, peeled and chopped (can use frozen peaches)
¼ cup fresh orange juice
3 Tbsp. water (if necessary)
⅓ cup brown sugar
1¼ lb. chicken breasts, boneless, skinless

https://meal5.com/simple-healthy-recipes/how-make-grilled-chicken-peach-sauce.

While the confection-like fruit mixture is simmering on the stove, you can switch gears and grill up the chicken. Spoon a bit of the sauce over each piece of chicken before you serve it. Yum!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This isn't a recipe, but it's one of my favorite food/recipe channels on YouTube.  It's called "Food Wishes," has been going for over 10 years, and the guy doing it, "Chef John", has a very idiosyncratic voice style that annoys some people (but i enjoy it). He's done several hundred videos over the years.  Here's a favorite video from the channel (I've actually made this one, and it's very good):

• 10 months later...

Two of my most requested dishes from two of my favorite websites, amazingribs.com, and smoking-meat.com.  Cowboy Candy is sweet pickled jalapenos, sliced into rings and served on a Ritz with cream cheese.    If you have a smoker, you'll love the smoked stuffed meatloaf.  It's the first thing my kids and grandkids ask for when they come to visit.

COWBOY CANDY 

(from amazingribs.com)

Makes. 12 ounce bottle

Takes. 15 minutes for prep, and 25 to 30 minutes cooking time

Ingredients

2 cups white granulated sugar

1/2 cup water

2/3 cup distilled vinegar

3/4 pounds fresh green jalapeños, washed thoroughly

Special hardware

You will also need a clean 12 ounce jar with a lid

Small knife or potato peeler, if desired

Do this

1) Cut off the top stems. Slice them into 1/8" rings (if you don’t want them quite as hot, de-vein the jalapenos first.  I use a small knife or a peeler for this).

2) Cook the water, sugar, and vinegar in a saucepan over medium heat until it boils and stir until all the sugar has dissolved.

3)  Add the peppers and the liquid will stop boiling. (Don’t stand over the pot when you do this – the released capsaicin-think pepper spray-can be very strong)  Wait for it to boil again and turn it off after about 20 seconds. This will pasteurize the peppers. Letting it boil a little longer can reduce the spiciness.

4) While it is hot, use a slotted spoon to move the peppers into a very clean 12 ounce jar. Pack them in tight and pour in the syrup. Poke around with a fork until most of the air is gone, tighten the lid, and refrigerate. Keep refrigerated. After 2 days they will start losing the bright green color and the peppers and the syrup will swap their fluids. You can dig in then, but if you wait a week, you will be rewarded for your patience.

Serve with cream cheese and Ritz crackers.

STUFFED SMOKED MEATLOAF

(from smoking-meat.com)

What You'll Need

A muffin pan (square cutouts instead of round), or small loaf pans

8 or more jalapeños (cleaned and seeded)

8 oz cream cheese

1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese

2 lbs 80/20 ground beef (or 1lb each ground beef and ground sausage)

1 egg

1/4 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup Barbecue Sauce

1/2 cup chopped onions

2 Tablespoons of your favorite rub

¼ cup quick oats or fresh bread crumbs if desired

PREPARE THE STUFFED PEPPERS

Start by cutting off the stem end of the pepper, cut them in half lengthwise then remove seeds and veins.

Blanch the Peppers

This process comes out of necessity since the jalapeños do not soften as much as they should while inside the meatloaf. By blanching them it pre-softens them and they end up nice and soft when the meatloaf is done.

To blanch the peppers, just bring a pot of water to boiling then remove it from the heat. Place the cleaned and seeded jalapeños in the super-heated water covered with a lid for about 10 minutes or so.

While the peppers are blanching, mix the cream cheese with the grated cheddar and set aside.

After blanching, stuff the inside of the pepper halves with the cream cheese mixture.

Lay a stuffed jalapeño (cheese up) into the bottom of each of the muffin pan holes and set aside while you mix up the meatloaf.

MAKING THE MEATLOAF

Place the ground beef, onions, buttermilk, egg, barbecue sauce, oats or bread crumbs, and rub into a large bowl and mix just enough to combine the ingredients.

Once mixed, fill each muffin hole with meatloaf mixture right over the top of the stuffed pepper. Just fill level with the top.

At this point I like to place the pan of meatloaf in the fridge to help the meatloaf to firm up a little… about 30 minutes ought to do it.

Remove each mini meatloaf from the pan, and place directly on the smoker’s rack.

SMOKING THE MEATLOAF

Have your smoker set for about 240 degrees F  to 270 degrees F for the entire time for right at 3 hours.  If your smoker has a water pan, use it.

Use a good robust wood like mesquite, hickory or pecan for best flavor. Feel free to mix in some fruit wood such as cherry or apple if you like and if you are using a charcoal, electric or gas smoker, keep the smoke flowing for the entire time.

FRY THE BACON

Fry the bacon and let it cool. Once cool you can break it up into small bits and pieces.

When the meatloaf is about 30 to 45 minutes from being finished or at about 145-150 degrees if you are monitoring the temperature, quickly open the door of the smoker and brush barbecue sauce onto the tops of the mini meatloafs.

Once sauced, sprinkle the bacon crumbles on the tops of the meatloafs and close the door to let them finish cooking.

When the meatloaf reaches 160 it is done to perfection.  I like to remove the meatloaf just shy of 160  (155-157) since the temperature will continue to rise just a few degrees once  removed from the heat.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

My family has a new favorite snack. I don’t know what it’s called. It’s beautiful and tasty

Stack: 

French baguette circles  with olive oil

1 basil leaf

1 slice of “fresh soft” mozzarella 

i fresh fragrant tomato slice

a drizzle of balsamic glaze

CBFD72D5-7EB3-4055-8E44-4785851F4303.jpeg

It looks like a cross between a caprese salad and bruschetta!

10 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

My family has a new favorite snack. I don’t know what it’s called. It’s beautiful and tasty

Stack: 

French baguette circles  with olive oil

1 basil leaf

1 slice of “fresh soft” mozzarella 

i fresh fragrant tomato slice

a drizzle of balsamic glaze

CBFD72D5-7EB3-4055-8E44-4785851F4303.jpeg

I love this stuff, though I prefer sun dried tomatoes.  Grow my own basil for it many years...that and mint for mint drinks and thyme for....almost everything else.

The bread looks toasted, right?  I like mashing up fresh garlic in olive oil and crisping up the bread in that. 

Edited by Calm
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, thelittlebravetoaster said:

I didn't see this. I created a thread for Lion House. Does anyone here have the Lion House cookbook? I need the recipe for their mashed potatoes and roast beef.

Thank you, to anyone in advance :)

I do, but hopefully I didn't get rid of it in my latest move. I'll hunt it down and edit this. ETA: Shoot, I found the book but there wasn't one for mashed potatoes, just au graten. And there wasn't one for Roast Beef just meat loaf etc. 

Maybe try Pinterest or....

Also, my book is so old maybe it's a different one, it's titled "Lion House Recipes". 

Edited by Tacenda