Seriously No Politics ×

Tasty Food Recipes

cursor

I took a bunch of these this morning to the teenage Sunday School class in our ward, we have very few teenagers in the ward, and the bishop insisted upon visiting the class. When the first and second counselors tried sitting in on the class also, he pulled rank and "cast them out."

These are easy peezy to make. Kids would love making and eating them.

Fresh Strawberry Muffins

Servings: 12

Yield: 12 muffins

1/2 cup butter, softened

3/4 cup sugar

1 egg

2 cups flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup milk

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries

3 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions

1. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and mix well.

2. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.

3. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to butter mixture. Add vanilla.

4. Gently stir in strawberries.

5. Spoon batter into muffin pans.

6. Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over muffins.

7. Bake at 400º for 20-25 minutes.

Yummy, can't wait to try this! So the class sounds too fun, when you have the whole bishopric wanting to hang out there!

New Year's Cheese Ball

1 package of cream cheese

1/2 can of chopped black olives

2-3 Tablespoons of blue cheese crumbles (do this to taste, depending on how much you like blue cheese)

2 tsp. of garlic powder

3 tsp. of parsley

Mix together in bowl and form into a ball to make it look pretty.

I actually made this for Christmas Eve and it was gone by Christmas morning.  LOL  I will have to make another one for New Years.  :D

World Famous Salsa

1 jar of Heinz Chilli Sauce

2 medium cans of diced stewed tomatoes (Italian style with basil, oregano, and onion)

4 Tablespoons of Worchestershire sauce

10 Tablespoons Garlic powder

10 Tablespoons parsley

6 Tablespoons dried or fresh chives

3 tsp. Montreal Steak seasoning

1/4 cup sugar

Mix together in large bowl, refrigerate and serve.  It is great with tortilla chips or to use as a taco sauce.

This has become standard fare for all of our holidays and my voice studio Master Classes.

Happy New Year!  :D

Edited by escott3564

New Year's Cheese Ball

1 package of cream cheese

1/2 can of chopped black olives

2-3 Tablespoons of blue cheese crumbles (do this to taste, depending on how much you like blue cheese)

2 tsp. of garlic powder

3 tsp. of parsley

Mix together in bowl and form into a ball to make it look pretty.

I actually made this for Christmas Eve and it was gone by Christmas morning. LOL I will have to make another one for New Years. :D

World Famous Salsa

1 jar of Heinz Chilli Sauce

2 medium cans of diced stewed tomatoes (Italian style with basil, oregano, and onion)

4 Tablespoons of Worchestershire sauce

10 Tablespoons Garlic powder

10 Tablespoons parsley

6 Tablespoons dried or fresh chives

3 tsp. Montreal Steak seasoning

1/4 cup sugar

Mix together in large bowl, refrigerate and serve. It is great with tortilla chips or to use as a taco sauce.

This has become standard fare for all of our holidays and my voice studio Master Classes.

Happy New Year! :D

Made your cheese ball on New Years, and people liked it, thank you!
  • 2 months later...

Taco Soup  (I haven't read through everything.  Sorry if someone has already posted this one)

I can each black, pinto and red beans, 

I can corn

I can diced tomatoes

I pound ground hamburger, cooked and drained

1 pkg taco seasoning.

Place everything in a crockpot and its done when you ready to eat.  I even did this in a pan on the stove last night because I forgot to get it going earlier.  I also add a large chopped onion to the hamburger while its cooking and continue cooking until the onions are translucent. 

A great Fast Sunday Meal

1-2 pounds of stew meat

2 cans Golden Mushroom Soup

1 pkg of Onion Soup Mix

2 cans water

1 small can mushroom pieces.

Place meat in crockpot.  Top with soups, water and mushrooms.  Cook until you're ready to eat but at least 4 hours on high. If cooking longer use a lower temp.  This can also be done in a covered baking dish in the oven but its easier in the crockpot.  Serve over rice or noodles

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I mentioned my girlfriend's fish tacos in a general discussion thread, and as requested, here is the recipe. It is gluten free and vegetarian (not vegan though), but is delicious by anybody's standards. Here is the site we got it from:

http://www.theholisticingredient.com/blogs/wholesome-food/10370606-thai-coconut-fish-tacos

It looks tasty.  But i have to ask, how can something with fish in it be vegetarian??  Fish=meat.

Yesterday the fiance added some rootbeer extract to a batch of chocolate chip cookies.  Zoinks!

Highly recommend.

That actually does sound good.  Probably even better with vanilla chips (I should avoid chocolate as it aggravates at times my movement disorder…not so bad since most of the time chocolate is pretty  lousy unless it is the expensive kind, got used to the good stuff when we were in Russia).

Edited by calmoriah

It looks tasty.  But i have to ask, how can something with fish in it be vegetarian??  Fish=meat.

That is so weird, I was just watching a few minutes of a sitcom pilot to see if I could stand it (I can't, I just don't do sitcoms except for the rare one) and they were doing the fish is not vegetarian routine….

This is a recipe for some really delicious fudge that my Dad used to make:

3 six ounce packages of semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 pinch salt

1 cup chopped pecans*

Line an 8-inch baking pan with wax paper or aluminum foil. In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, combine chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and salt. Cook over low heat until chips are melted. Remove from heat and stir in nuts and vanilla. Spread mixture evenly into the lined pan. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Cut into squares and enjoy! Makes 36 pieces.

*Any type of nut can be used, but we always preferred pecans, since we had several pecan trees in our yard. We tried other nuts such as walnuts, almonds, etc., but we found that pecans just tasted better with this particular recipe.

Edited by Silhouette

Today I'm going to try a modified version of the chicken and broccoli braid recipe that was posted above. It looked really tasty. As one who makes his own bread, I cannot imagine using the Pillsbury (or whatever bran) nonsense, I will be doing my own breaded exterior enclosure. I suspect that I'll be using a wheat-oat base I'll post complete details when the dish is completed..

I am me. A guy. If I can cook it in a microwave, it is already tasty before it thaws out. If I can get it via a drive-thru window, it is already tasty before I order it. If she cooks it for me, well...tasty may be debatable. If I cook it, it will require a bio-hazmat team and a whole lote of e.r time.

That actually does sound good.  Probably even better with vanilla chips (I should avoid chocolate as it aggravates at times my movement disorder…not so bad since most of the time chocolate is pretty  lousy unless it is the expensive kind, got used to the good stuff when we were in Russia).

Eek!  Vanilla chips would be fantastic!

Om nom nom nom...

• 10 months later...

Just made this last night. It doesn't look appetizing in the least, but it's one of my favorite Bolivian foods. My kids love it, and we have it fairly often. It's from Southern Peru/Western Bolivia. It can be served hot or cold, but I prefer it hot.

1a289c0c00c4581269956ba0c0db1529.jpg

You'll need two ingredients that you'll have to buy from a latino market:

Huacatay (Black Mint) paste

4165xp-CgUL.jpg

Aji Amarillo Paste

chillies_p026s.jpg

Potatoes with Ocopa Sauce (Papas Huancaina, con salsa Ocopa)

3 lbs. small potatoes (white or yukon gold work best)

1⁄8 cup vegetable oil
2 red onions, sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/8 cup huacatay paste
1/3 cup aji amarillo paste
3 graham crackers, crumbled
4 ounces dry-roasted peanuts
8 ounces fresh white cheese (queso fresco, though feta will do), roughly crumbled
evaporated milk (as needed)
salt
pepper
hard-boiled eggs, peeled (optional)

Quarter and boil potatoes until tender.

Sauté onions and garlic until translucent. Add huacatay and aji amarilo until heated.

Combine onion mixture, crackers, peanuts, and cheese in food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Add evaporated milk as needed for a thinner sauce., Add salt, pepper to taste.

Serve sauce over potatoes and (optionally) eggs.

• 1 month later...

Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya

First of all, you can freeze the peppers, onion, etc. to save time in the future.  When you dice three peppers, you don't need all of it, so I love to freeze it for later.  Usually I can make it three times with the ingredients I have.

2 T vegetable or canola oil

1 cup bell peppers, diced - red, orange and yellow

3 cups onion, diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp. salt (plus another tsp. to season the chicken)

1 tsp. cayenne pepper (plus another 1/4 tsp. to season the chicken)

2 packages (2 lbs.) smoked sausage or Chorizo, sliced (I like Hillshire beef smoked sausage in it)

3 pounds chicken, cubed (white and dark meat - sometimes I just use chicken breasts)

3 bay leaves

3 cups rice

6 cups water

In a large pot, heat oil at medium heat.  Add peppers, onion, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper, stirring occasionally until soft.  Add sausage, cooking about 5-10 minutes.  Add chicken that has been seasoned with 1 tsp. of salt and 1/4 tsp. of cayenne pepper with bay leaves.  Cook until chicken is mostly done.  Add rice and stir well BEFORE YOU ADD THE WATER.  Add water and DO NOT STIR.  Cover pot with lid and turn to low, letting it simmer for about the next 40 minutes.  Sometimes I give it a stir at this point and let it sit for another 5 minutes.

My family loves this recipe and I love that it all goes in one pot!  You can also make it in a dutch oven.  It also stays hot for a long period of time, which is great when I don't know when everyone in my family is getting home.  It's heaven on a snowy night!

Hard to copy down right now because baby is sleeping on me, but look up these recipes:

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas (I think the site might be The Girl Who Ate Everything)

And Pioneer Woman's white chicken chili. Oh my gosh.  SO GOOD.  Definitely add all the fixings - guacamole, cilantro, etc.  I could eat that again and again. 

Just made this last night. It doesn't look appetizing in the least, but it's one of my favorite Bolivian foods. My kids love it, and we have it fairly often. It's from Southern Peru/Western Bolivia. It can be served hot or cold, but I prefer it hot.

1a289c0c00c4581269956ba0c0db1529.jpg

You'll need two ingredients that you'll have to buy from a latino market:

Huacatay (Black Mint) paste

4165xp-CgUL.jpg

Aji Amarillo Paste

chillies_p026s.jpg

Potatoes with Ocopa Sauce (Papas Huancaina, con salsa Ocopa)

3 lbs. small potatoes (white or yukon gold work best)

1⁄8 cup vegetable oil
2 red onions, sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/8 cup huacatay paste
1/3 cup aji amarillo paste
3 graham crackers, crumbled
4 ounces dry-roasted peanuts
8 ounces fresh white cheese (queso fresco, though feta will do), roughly crumbled
evaporated milk (as needed)
salt
pepper
hard-boiled eggs, peeled (optional)

Quarter and boil potatoes until tender.

Sauté onions and garlic until translucent. Add huacatay and aji amarilo until heated.

Combine onion mixture, crackers, peanuts, and cheese in food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Add evaporated milk as needed for a thinner sauce., Add salt, pepper to taste.

Serve sauce over potatoes and (optionally) eggs.

This dish sounds fascinating!  Never had anything like it. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for sharing. Here is one of the two best holiday cookie recipes I know of.  The holidays aren't quite the holidays with out them, or says I. Best served with a spiced hot chocolate. It is also perfect for summer, with the nutty orange sweetness taking away a bit of that oppressive heat. Ok, so maybe it is perfect for anytime of the year. 

"Master, which is the greatest cookie off all?"

Belgian White Beer Cookies With Orange Icing
Cookies

Prep 30 minute ∙ Cook 20 minutes. ∙ Makes 12

INGREDIENTS

24 ounces Belgian white beer
5 tablespoons honey
3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
zest of one orange
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 tablespoon whole milk
zest of one orange

DIRECTIONS

For the cookies:

1. Reduce beer and honey in a medium saucepan over medium heat, skimming occasionally, until you have about 1/3 cup of liquid or when it begins aggressively foaming due to the increased sugar content.

2. Let this reduction cool to room temperature.

3. While it's cooling, cream the butter and sugar together.

4. Add the egg and blend thoroughly. Then add the vanilla, orange zest, coriander, and beer reduction and blend again.

5. Mix the flour and baking soda together then slowly add to the batter.

6. Preheat oven to 350°F.

7. Scoop mounds of cookies onto an aluminum cookie sheet lined with parchment. Make sure you do not overcrowd the cookies; you should be able to fit about 12 cookies on a half sheet pan.

8. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet until they are cool enough (about 10 minutes) to transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

For the icing:

1. Whisk the vanilla into the sugar.

2. Mix the orange juice and milk together.

3. Add milk and orange juice mixture to sugar until you reach the consistency of a thick paste. Add orange zest.

4. Using a butter knife put a dollop of icing on each cool cookie and spread it over the top.

"And the second one is like unto it..."

Irish Cream White Chocolate Chip Cookies

Prep 15 mins    ∙ Cook 15 mins. ∙ Makes 30-50 cookies, depending on the size of the scoop

INGREDIENTS

1⅓ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
6 ounces sugar
6 ounces brown sugar
2 eggs
½ cup Irish cream liquor, such as Baileys
16 ounces all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 ounces white chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

1. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.

3. In a mixing bowl with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars on high speed. Add the eggs on low speed, followed by the Irish cream. Then slowly add the flour mixture. Add the white chocolate chips.

4. Use a small scoop to portion out the cookies. Chill for 15 minutes, then bake for 13-15 minutes.

8 hours ago, deli_llama said:

"And the second one is like unto it..."

Irish Cream White Chocolate Chip Cookies

Prep 15 mins    ∙ Cook 15 mins. ∙ Makes 30-50 cookies, depending on the size of the scoop

INGREDIENTS

1⅓ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
6 ounces sugar
6 ounces brown sugar
2 eggs
½ cup Irish cream liquor, such as Baileys
16 ounces all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 ounces white chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

1. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.

3. In a mixing bowl with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars on high speed. Add the eggs on low speed, followed by the Irish cream. Then slowly add the flour mixture. Add the white chocolate chips.

4. Use a small scoop to portion out the cookies. Chill for 15 minutes, then bake for 13-15 minutes.

Dumb question maybe, but does the alcohol cook out?  And what ethnicity are these, if they have one?

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Dumb question maybe, but does the alcohol cook out?  And what ethnicity are these, if they have one?

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

The amount of alcohol remaining when something is finished cooked depends on three basic things—heat, time, and concentration. Alcohol boils at 173 degrees Fahrenheit. In this case the half cup of Irish Cream will come out to just a hair over half a teaspoon per cookie. With such a low concentration, 15 minutes of cooking at double its boiling temperature, there is only trace amounts (and truthfully, there are trace amounts of alcohol in a lot of food and drinks, even juice) remaining. To offer a comparison, pure vanilla extract typically contains alcohol and has a minimum requirement of 35% alcohol while Irish Cream is somewhere around 17%. Of course you use much less vanilla. 

Short answer, yes. 

I am not sure they would have an ethnicity. The first one I shared is similar enough to an original recipe I was introduced to in Germany that it makes no difference. So that one would be German, if anything. Somethings have to stay in the family though; I share this one. 
  • 4 months later...

An idea that works well..just a thought.

In any cookie recipe that calls for oatmeal..use leftover cereal crumbs.  Crumble up some  Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes, and Cheeriosr is great!  I love using Frosted Flakes and Honey Nut anything for a little sweetness.