Seriously No Politics ×

American Atheists Put Up Anti-Mormon Billboard In North Carolina

CQUIRK

Here.

People headed to the Democratic National Convention will be greeted by billboards condemning religion, thanks to American Atheists. The group is specifically targeting Mormonism and Christianity with the ads, which will be up starting today for a month in Charlotte, CNN reports. They read:

• Christianity: "Sadistic God; Useless Savior, 30,000+ Versions of 'Truth,' Promotes Hate, Calls it 'Love.'" Accompanied by a picture of Jesus' image on toast.
  • Mormonism: "God is a Space Alien, Baptizes Dead People, Big Money, Big Bigotry." Accompanied by a picture of a guy in, presumably, special Mormon underwear.

"Our political system is rife with religion and it depends too much on religion and not enough on substance," the group's sponsor explains. "Religion is silly and religion has components that are inherently divisive. … There is no place for any of that in the political system." Both billboards urge readers to join American Atheists with the line, "Atheism: Simply Reasonable." The group originally planned the anti-Mormonism billboard for Tampa, host city of the Republican National Convention, but no billboard company there would lease to them.

IMO, these people are no better then the Westboro Baptist Church; both are vile, slanderous, and will go to the extreme to "further" their agenda.

I don't suppose for a moment they would have featured Mormonism if it weren't for the mileage they hope to get from Romney's Presidential run.

On the other hand where can I get a set of those glow in the dark garments? It sure would help prevent stubbed toes during my late night toilet run.

• Mormonism: "God is a Space Alien, Baptizes Dead People, Big Money, Big Bigotry." Accompanied by a picture of a guy in, presumably, special Mormon underwear."

And it will probably have the opposite effect they want.

Does that mean that bigots, businessmen, those who see dead people, Trekkies and the UFO crowd will be more likely to invite the elders in?

Are they too dumb to realize that putting up that kind of a billboard makes atheism look 'inherently divisive' and not at all 'reasonable'? How blind to their own self importance can a group be?

Not their fault. It wouldn't be divisive if everyone would just agree with them.

IMO, these people are no better then the Westboro Baptist Church; both are vile, slanderous, and will go to the extreme to "further" their agenda.

I do not consider a billboard extreme. When they start protesting at LDS funerals I will agree with you.

Does that mean that bigots, businessmen, those who see dead people, Trekkies and the UFO crowd will be more likely to invite the elders in?

As an ex-missionary I can say this is already true. Thank God for it. Some days I really needed the entertainment.

By their fruits ye shall know them.

Behold, if they shall produce idiotic fruits then you shall know they are morons. At least that is what I thought when I looked at the billboard.

The billboards will be taken down by the company citing "hate speech" towards their employees.

I hope no LDS were involved in threats but I find it humorous that the billboards themselves are considered appropriate to erect by the company yet they decry "hate speech" on the part of those protesting the billboards.

My personal opinion was that they were in bad taste but protected by the first amendment to the Constitution.

At best, these billboards are comical attempts at oversimplistic attempts of defamation.

Hardly worth taking seriously.

Unless you are North Carolina billboard company who can get revenue for a month from any kook with a few bucks and a graphic artist.

Godwin's Law violation.

Honestly, I wouldn't consider it all that bad of a comparison. They're just about as representative of atheists in general as well (IOW, I think they do a disservice to athiests). Though the signs were in one place, I almost feel bad for atheists living in that area because it could be attributed to them. Slandering large groups of people, including a religious minority, isn't exactly the greatest way to bring around one's message.

With luv,

BD

Honestly, I wouldn't consider it all that bad of a comparison. They're just about as representative of atheists in general as well (IOW, I think they do a disservice to athiests). Though the signs were in one place, I almost feel bad for atheists living in that area because it could be attributed to them. Slandering large groups of people, including a religious minority, isn't exactly the greatest way to bring around one's message.

With luv,

BD

I don't disagree with you. However, choosing when it is right or wrong to implement Godwin's Law violation is rather telling. There is a reason why it is a violation. Just ask Selek.

I don't disagree with your either. Godwin's law is usually a no-no in my book.... Except the shoe kinda fits on this. They're not as vocal and nauseating as westboro, but pretty close. They present their case in a way that's really just offensive to almost anybody, including people who could care less otherwise. And insisting on some moral high ground (in their case, seperation of church and state) they do so often while degrading/condemning others and at points leaning towards promoting censorship. In other words, justifying an extreme on the grounds that they are morally correct in their cause. It also leads to the same results. Just as some more secular or athiest/agnostic people may shake their heads and say "look, see, this is why it's just better not to have religion," religious folk may also be inclined to think "Look, see, this is what's truly wrong with atheism."

So two groups, prone to extreme stances(though neither litterally goes out of their way to harm people physically), more likely to alienate and insult people, lead only to further misunderstanding and distrust between differing world/religious views, and have a tendency to anger folks....they've got a lot of ground to work with.

With luv,

BD

I don't disagree with your either. Godwin's law is usually a no-no in my book.... Except the shoe kinda fits on this. They're not as vocal and nauseating as westboro, but pretty close. They present their case in a way that's really just offensive to almost anybody, including people who could care less otherwise. And insisting on some moral high ground (in their case, seperation of church and state) they do so often while degrading/condemning others and at points leaning towards promoting censorship. In other words, justifying an extreme on the grounds that they are morally correct in their cause. It also leads to the same results. Just as some more secular or athiest/agnostic people may shake their heads and say "look, see, this is why it's just better not to have religion," religious folk may also be inclined to think "Look, see, this is what's truly wrong with atheism."

So two groups, prone to extreme stances(though neither litterally goes out of their way to harm people physically), more likely to alienate and insult people, lead only to further misunderstanding and distrust between differing world/religious views, and have a tendency to anger folks....they've got a lot of ground to work with.

With luv,

BD

Good post especially when we consider the fact that atheists are not the first nor the last to commit such actions and to be found guilty of these wrongs.

Archived