Seriously No Politics ×

Pa Pa'S Next Grand Baby Wll Be A...

Stick around...I have surgery on back Monday and my Doctor called up and set up an emergency meeting for Tuesday...in his words; Bill your diabetes is out of control...I want to see you and your wife Tuesday!

I PaPa...I have diabetes as well and understand you situation. I'm tired of all of the stuff that goes with it esp. the meds, but I have four grand kids and one on the way and life is great! I grew up an adopted only child whose entire family has "moved on" to greener pastures and all I have left in family's my wife, two kids, and five grand kids. It's a great life, isn't it?

Stick around...I have surgery on back Monday and my Doctor called up and set up an emergency meeting for Tuesday...in his words; Bill your diabetes is out of control...I want to see you and your wife Tuesday!

Pa Pa... Warning!! Nagging coming!!

I have Type II diabetes... was borderline for many years but have finally crossed over and now have had to make some changes in order to control the situation... BUT IT CAN BE DONE. Diet, exercise can do wonders in addition to meds. If you are Type I, I know it can be more difficult...but those of us with Type II can do much to help ourselves. My doc says that I've stopped the damage and am holding steady... I test my glucose twice daily... I'm only on oral meds and no insulin, nor do I expect to need insulin unless things change to where I can't help myself... but hopefully that would be years.

The important thing is that YOU have numerous avenues open to you to gain control. But it takes diligence and a positive attitude. So when you meet with your doc, I'm assuming you will not give excuses or have an attitude that is anything but positive and helpful, asking questions about what YOU can do, etc etc and then commit to doing whatever is necessary to get things under control. Okay? Okay!

All good wishes... GG

My aunt and uncle were both recently diagnosed and they're managing it. Not a lot of fun, but you'll feel better when you get your blood sugar under control. It's also harder to heal when your blood sugar is high.

Pa Pa... Warning!! Nagging coming!!

I have Type II diabetes... was borderline for many years but have finally crossed over and now have had to make some changes in order to control the situation... BUT IT CAN BE DONE. Diet, exercise can do wonders in addition to meds. If you are Type I, I know it can be more difficult...but those of us with Type II can do much to help ourselves. My doc says that I've stopped the damage and am holding steady... I test my glucose twice daily... I'm only on oral meds and no insulin, nor do I expect to need insulin unless things change to where I can't help myself... but hopefully that would be years.

The important thing is that YOU have numerous avenues open to you to gain control. But it takes diligence and a positive attitude. So when you meet with your doc, I'm assuming you will not give excuses or have an attitude that is anything but positive and helpful, asking questions about what YOU can do, etc etc and then commit to doing whatever is necessary to get things under control. Okay? Okay!

All good wishes... GG

I fear insulin is in my future. I have been getting much more excercize, many more paths to walk her at my mom's. Once the back is repaired I hope to find a job.

I fear insulin is in my future. I have been getting much more excercize, many more paths to walk her at my mom's. Once the back is repaired I hope to find a job.

There are some great meds for Type II... Metformin is very good... and a newer one called Tradjenta that is easier on the kidneys. If you do things that you are supposed to, you can put off insulin indefinitely...

Incidentally, I meant to tell you I hope all goes well with your back surgery... prayers...

GG

There are some great meds for Type II... Metformin is very good... and a newer one called Tradjenta that is easier on the kidneys. If you do things that you are supposed to, you can put off insulin indefinitely...

Incidentally, I meant to tell you I hope all goes well with your back surgery... prayers...

GG

It is not to serious...they will put glue in my back. First L-1 then a week later T-12.

I use insulin and at first I was scared to death, but feel and work a lot better now. The best thing is weight loss, exercise and no 'taters! My mother was from Oklahoma and I grew up eating southern food and it can make you fat. So much for grits.

The Word of Wisdom might be a great starting point (for some), but it is hardly a substitute for the much more detailed presciption for quality health. This is me, on my 50th birthday, while consuming coffee on a daily basis (for the previous 15 years):

post-17669-0-24119500-1345331607_thumb.j

Edited by cursor

A boy...after five granddaughters.

He is due the week Elder Lee get home...good times.

Congratulations, Papa!!! That's wonderful.

We are having our first grandson, after SIX granddaughters! He is due on Thanksgiving Day. :)

Seriously, there is no problem with "taters". It always a question of balance and frequency.

There is when one eats them "southern style", i.e., fried with onions and oil. Have SPAM on the side and its good eating. On the more profound side I have a real problem with potatoes and so I generally avoid them at this point in favor of beans which have more fiber and extra proteins. Potatoes have a much higher glycemic index than even pure sugar so it is a big no-no.

There is when one eats them "southern style", i.e., fried with onions and oil. Have SPAM on the side and its good eating. On the more profound side I have a real problem with potatoes and so I generally avoid them at this point in favor of beans which have more fiber and extra proteins. Potatoes have a much higher glycemic index than even pure sugar so it is a big no-no.

"The Irish forbid"

I use insulin and at first I was scared to death, but feel and work a lot better now. The best thing is weight loss, exercise and no 'taters! My mother was from Oklahoma and I grew up eating southern food and it can make you fat. So much for grits.

I was put in insulin today. :( Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

I see. Consider substituting with a low GI food like yams. :)

Not everyone reacts to the foods on the glycemic index the same way so think of it as a guideline. In my case I had the weird reaction of having a bad reaction to potato salad, but not to straight potatoes which should have been the reverse (perhaps someone used miracle whip instead of mayo....).

Anyway, here is an index that should be helpful, some things are surprisingly high or low, there are books and charts out there with more info, but often they've only been test on one or two people so it may not be very accurate for you:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

I just got tested with a high cholestral (? too lazy to even try and think how to spell that today, got woken up out of a deep sleep by the dog a bit ago and my mind is still back in bed), but that is most likely more related to what I don't do (exercise) than my diet which is pretty healthy overall. Got three months to try and fix it with diet, exercise and fish oils and then will see if I want to go on meds....