Seriously No Politics ×

Only 0.006 Percent Of Abortions Are To Save The Life Of The Mother

BCSpace

A report to Parliament has revealed abortions performed in the United Kingdom to save the life of the mother are a stunningly low 0.006 percent of procedures.

David Alton, who for 18 years was a member of the House of Commons, wrote, “When the case for allowing legal abortion was first placed before Parliament it was argued that the law needed to be changed to deal with extremely serious situations.

“More than six million abortions later the figures reveal that in 99.5 percent of the cases where an unborn child’s life is ended there is no risk to the health of the mother,” he said.

The details came in a response from Earl Howe, the parliamentary undersecretary of state in the nation’s Department of Health, to Parliament. He confirmed from 1968 through 2011, the last year for which details were available, there were 6.4 million abortions for women in England and Wales.

“Of these, 143 (0.006 percent) were performed under Section 1(4), i.e. where the termination is immediately necessary to save the life of the pregnant woman or to prevent grave permanent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman,” he wrote.

He noted another 24,778 were done on the grounds that a continued pregnancy would involve more risk to the mother than if the unborn child were destroyed.

Alton, who has worked with such organizations as Right to Life, G.K. Chesterton Institute, The Bible Society, UK Coptic Association and dozens more, has published books, with Martin Foley, on the subjects of euthanasia and abortion.

“With evidence accumulating of abortions carried out on the grounds of gender, and of forged authorization forms, these latest figures underline why a rigorous independent review of the 1967 [abortion] Act is long overdue and why society needs to reassess the presumption that ending the life of an unborn child is merely a matter of choice.”

He said the killing simply has gotten out of control.

“Perhaps most worrying of the 2012 statistics is the high number of teenagers undergoing multiple abortions. The deep psychological effects abortion can have on a woman are well publicized and recognized by most as a critical concern,” he said. “Despite this, little to nothing is being done to help those who have been through this process – with all the anguish and distress it entails –multiple times before they have even reached full emotional maturity.”

He cited documentation for three teenage girls, who have had a combined total of 24 abortions.

“Behind every single statistic is a beating heart and we need to remind ourselves that the ending of every one of these six million lives is a tragedy,” he said.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/08/0-006-of-abortions-to-save-moms-life/

The logic we have used to rationalize, to justify, why it is acceptable to destroy the life of an unborn child has only been good enough to allow society to close its eyes or to look the other way. We have dressed in the noble robes of choice, of righting wrongs, and of ensuring women's health. Society quickly learned to parrot those leaders who pandered to the lowest common denominator while desensitizing everyone to the plight of those who could not choose or talk for themselves. Everyone knows these leaders stand naked of any moral ground except for the sophistry with which we have placated ourselves.

How much harder it is to teach our citizens that actions have consequences and each member has a responsibility to all of society. Individuals do not have the right to drag our collective moral standards into the dirt in order to allow them the pseudo choice of perceived right of a woman to choose. There needs to be consequences for those who wish to inflict society with unwanted children and to flaunt their carnal desires over any degree of self-control.

No, we have long ago felt compelled to allow each citizen the freedom to choose for himself what is right or wrong regardless of what is good, healthy, and sane for a community and a moral society. The cult of the individual has been raised to impossible heights and our culture, society, and community have and will continue to pay the price. The price? We no longer know or even care about what is moral, good, righteous, and healthy.

Teach them correct principles a principles and let them govern themselves.

That's what we are doing. The correct principle is: abortion is usually an awful thing that can permanent negative psychological affects on young women, but may be necessary in rare situations to save life. The current law does not reflect this correct principle (neither here nor in the UK apparently), and we should seriously work to have the law match the principle.

Zeta-Flux:

Any abortion is too many. But in this sad imperfect world sometimes it is the better solution.

They are all awful. But in this sad imperfect world sometimes it is the better solution.

Their doesn't seem to be any permanent damage done to the vast majority of women who undergo abortion in an established clinic, or hospital.

The Church recognizes more than just the life of the mother as the only conditional on abortion. Here in the US the LDS are a minority religion. What happens if the majority of non LDS citizens want to use the government to enforce their religious convictions on the LDS?

The majority of abortions are done by minorities such as blacks and hispanics. Steps can be taken to give them viable options in today's world to dramatically reduce the number of abortions and still keep Roe v Wade on the books.

There's no need to change the law but steps can be taken to make the option less taken and therefore insignificant. A goal that I believe that can be achieved as long as efforts towards that goal is maintained.

Their doesn't seem to be any permanent damage done to the vast majority of women who undergo abortion in an established clinic, or hospital.
Maybe not physical damage. But there are great mental costs. And there is also the unnecessary cost of innocent life.
The Church recognizes more than just the life of the mother as the only conditional on abortion.
If we as a society decide that even more special situations need to be added to our "correct principle" then we can do so. But I would suggest, and I believe a good majority of Americans would agree, that we could change our laws to come more into conformity with "correct principles" without damaging those 3% of abortions which fall into the exception category.

Zeta-Flux:

While the vast majority of women are saddened by abortion. They experience no greater incident of clinically recognized mental illness effects than women who don't have abortions. IOW Everyone gets the blues at sometime in their lives.

As long as it is personal choice I have no problem with women choosing not have an abortion. You don't want an abortion don't have one. I don't believe we should use the law, even popular law, to force others to obey our religious beliefs. The tables can and have been all too easily turned against the LDS beliefs. I am for keeping abortion safe, legal, and rare.

Zeta-Flux:

While the vast majority of women are saddened by abortion. They experience no greater incident of clinically recognized mental illness effects than women who don't have abortions. IOW Everyone gets the blues at sometime in their lives.

After personal experience, I'll simply STRONGLY disagree. Men and women are hurt in most cases and are at least emotionally scarred and I'll leave it at that.

As long as it is personal choice I have no problem with women choosing not have an abortion. You don't want an abortion don't have one.

This is a nice way of trivializing the issue. Well done.

I don't believe we should use the law, even popular law, to force others to obey our religious beliefs. The tables can and have been all too easily turned against the LDS beliefs. I am for keeping abortion safe, legal,

I also believe that the law shouldn't be changed.

....and rare

a lot more effort can be made to make this a reality because it is not rare. 'Generation X' has lost a 1/4 of their generation due to this issue. I don't consider that 'rare.'

Zeta-Flux:

I didn't claim they had a greater incidence of mental illness. I claimed that there are mental costs.
As long as it is personal choice I have no problem with women choosing not have an abortion. You don't want an abortion don't have one. I don't believe we should use the law, even popular law, to force others to obey our religious beliefs. The tables can and have been all too easily turned against the LDS beliefs. I am for keeping abortion safe, legal, and rare.
I have no problem with women choosing not to have an abortion. I don't know of anyone (except extremists) who are against women choosing not to have abortions.

I never brought religious beliefs into this discussion. I am not against abortions for religious beliefs. I am against abortions (except in rare circumstances) because it is the destruction of a human being beginning its life. In many cases, that life has already begun to think for itself.

The issue is for those who choose to have abortions out of convenience. The laws currently do not keep these to a rarity; but in fact they are the great majority (approximately 95%) of all abortions.

A 2004 study by the Guttmacher Institute reported that women listed the following amongst their reasons for choosing to have an abortion: [47]

• 74% Having a baby would dramatically change my life
  • 73% Can’t afford a baby now
  • 48% Don’t want to be a single mother or having relationship problems
  • 38% Have completed my childbearing
  • 32% Not ready for a(nother) child
  • 25% Don’t want people to know I had sex or got pregnant
  • 22% Don’t feel mature enough to raise a(nother) child
  • 14% Husband or partner wants me to have an abortion
  • 13% Possible problems affecting the health of the fetus
  • 12% Concerns about my health
  • 6% Parents want me to have an abortion
  • 1% Was a victim of rape
  • less than 0.5% Became pregnant as a result of incest

These were reported by the woman and therefore concerns for health would likely be much higher than if reported by a doctor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_the_United_States

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html

• Nearly half of pregnancies among American women are unintended, and about four in 10 of these are terminated by abortion.[1] Twenty-two percent of all pregnancies (excluding miscarriages) end in abortion.[2]

• Forty percent of pregnancies among white women, 67% among blacks and 53% among Hispanics are unintended.[1] • In 2008, 1.21 million abortions were performed, down from 1.31 million in 2000. However, between 2005 and 2008, the long-term decline in abortions stalled. From 1973 through 2008, nearly 50 million legal abortions occurred.[2]

• Each year, two percent of women aged 15–44 have an abortion. Half have had at least one previous abortion.[2,3]

• At least half of American women will experience an unintended pregnancy by age 45, and, at current rates, one in 10 women will have an abortion by age 20, one in four by age 30 and three in 10 by age 45.[4,5]

Number of abortions per 1,000 women aged 15-44, by year IB-induced-abortion-c1.gif

WHO HAS ABORTIONS?

• Eighteen percent of U.S. women obtaining abortions are teenagers; those aged 15–17 obtain 6% of all abortions, teens aged 18–19 obtain 11%, and teens younger than age 15 obtain 0.4%.[6]

• Women in their 20s account for more than half of all abortions; women aged 20–24 obtain 33% of all abortions, and women aged 25–29 obtain 24%.[6]

• Non-Hispanic white women account for 36% of abortions, non-Hispanic black women for 30%, Hispanic women for 25% and women of other races for 9%.[6]

• Thirty-seven percent of women obtaining abortions identify as Protestant and 28% as Catholic.[6]

• Women who have never married and are not cohabiting account for 45% of all abortions [6]

• About 61% of abortions are obtained by women who have one or more children. [6]

• Forty-two percent of women obtaining abortions have incomes below 100% of the federal poverty level ($10,830 for a single woman with no children).[6]

• Twenty-seven percent of women obtaining abortions have incomes between 100–199% of the federal poverty level.* [6]

• The reasons women give for having an abortion underscore their understanding of the responsibilities of parenthood and family life. Three-fourths of women cite concern for or responsibility to other individuals; three-fourths say they cannot afford a child; three-fourths say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or the ability to care for dependents; and half say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner.[7].....

• In 2006, publicly funded family planning services helped women avoid 1.94 million unintended pregnancies, which would likely have resulted in about 860,000 unintended births and 810,000 abortions.[20]

So A LOT of the abortions are for married women who may have other children. When will society be in a position to allow those women to give a baby up for adoption? I guess in about, oh never.

And if the "you play you pay" is the attitude then a lot of people are not understanding the ins and outs of sexual relationships. It isn't just about fun. Not everyone is in a healthy loving relationship where sex is an expression of their love for one another or even because of desire. How many women on this board have had sex when they have zero desire to do so? If every woman didn't raise her hand she'd be lying. Women are often pressured to have sex and it happens for lots of different reasons good and bad.

When your married, mother of 4, next door neighbor gives her next baby up for adoption I bet everyone would be over congratulating her on not having an abortion. Ah, yeah, right.

Archived