Seriously No Politics ×

Behold! Captain Romni!

I would like to load a larger image, but can't figure out how...

any suggestions?

Bernard

When you click on it, it goes plenty large.

Aha! Thanks.

Comparing Mitt Romney in any way to the integrity of Moroni (who lead his two thousand young, faithful, stripling soldiers into battle) is simply beyond credible. Although, it does make for a pretty funny joke.

Which do you think was my intent?

Bernard

Mitt don't have photo- shopped muscles.

Mitt don't have photo- shopped muscles.

Yep! Mitt's are the real thing.

Bernard

Adam Gopnik, writing in this week's issue of The New Yorker, also thinks Romney looks like he stepped out of a Friberg painting:

"Mormon art produced one camp genius, the mid-twentieth-century painter Arnold Friberg—he won non-Mormon fame as Cecil B. De Mille’s designer for “The Ten Commandments”—who illustrated Smith’s scripture in a style that’s a cross between Norman Rockwell and a “Conan the Barbarian” comic; his image of Nephi is canonic among believers, and, it must be said, looks exactly like Mitt Romney." (http://www.newyorker...k#ixzz23g3R84FU)

Which do you think was my intent?

Of course with all digital, textual media ... "intent" is never entirely clear. I can only hope that you see the same hollowness in Romney and his campaign as I see. I certainly wish the best for you in terms of your ability to accurately understand his political acumen (or the lack thereof). and to accurately interpret his true worth to the American political system (and its resultant effect on each and every one of us).

Very kind regards,

Of course with all digital, textual media ... "intent" is never entirely clear. I can only hope that you see the same hollowness in Romney and his campaign as I see. I certainly wish the best for you in terms of your ability to accurately understand his political acumen (or the lack thereof). and to accurately interpret his true worth to the American political system (and its resultant effect on each and every one of us).

Very kind regards,

tread carefully...political stuff can get a thread closed real fast and the poster banned from a thread or worse.

Um ... sheesh? You're seriously suggesting that the fact that I emphatically disagree with the political aspirations and positions of Mitt Romney might be responsible reason for absolute dismissal from this forum is ... well, extremely odd. How very strange.

Surely, there room for political disagreement.

Hey, if need be, I'll shut up in this regard (however, it makes no sense to me ... you might as well ban my father from interaction here, given his political perspectives), hey, whatever.

Peace to all.

Edited by cursor

I promise to keep my mouth shut with regards to ANYTHING that might cross the grain of the predominate LDS political perspective. Again, I would be extremely disappointed at the prospect of being banned from this website simply because I view the the Mitt Romney political worthiness to be extremely shallow. Peace be unto all.

Edited by cursor

Um ... sheesh? You're seriously suggesting that the fact that I emphatically disagree with the political aspirations and positions of Mitt Romney might be responsible reason for absolute dismissal from this forum is ... well, extremely odd. How very strange.

Surely, there room for political disagreement.

Hey, if need be, I'll shut up in this regard (however, it makes no sense to me ... you might as well ban my father from interaction here, given his political perspectives), hey, whatever.

Peace to all.

No, more likely unless a poster makes a habit of it of talking about it they just get a warning. There are a few posters who can't resist making political statements and they are long time posters, the only ones who get banned from the board (as opposed to being banned from a thread) appear to me to be the ones who say you can't be a faithful Mormon and be a _______ (take your pick) or who get really offensive about it.

The mods don't like political commentary because of the division it creates and the fact that it doesn't seem that division can stay civil but tends to degenerate into nastiness. It is a sad commentary about political beliefs and feelings that we can't seem to avoid over the top conversations that turn into judgmental, personal attacks either of posters here or others involved in the political scene.

There is a wide range of political beliefs held by posters on the board, btw, even just among the Americans (I am always amused when Americans act like their political belief system is THE political system, especially when the American Left is attacked as if they are the ultimate in liberal ideology considering how nonAmericans often don't see much difference between the Democrats and the Republicans in my experience.)

Edited by calmoriah

I promise to keep my mouth shut with regards to ANYTHING that might cross the grain of the predominate LDS political perspective. Again, I would be extremely disappointed at the prospect of being banned from this website simply because I view the the Mitt Romney political worthiness to be extremely shallow. Peace be unto all.

Conservatives get scolded by mods as much as the more liberal (speaking politically), just so you know. I don't remember seeing any favouritism myself. They tried to allow nongeneral political discussions for awhile, it didn't work out. Now they limit it to how the political scene may affect the Church. See the thread that is pinned in In the News about political discussions (I think it is still there) for info on what is and isn't allowed. :) Edited by calmoriah

Comparing Mitt Romney in any way to the integrity of Moroni (who lead his two thousand young, faithful, stripling soldiers into battle) is simply beyond credible.

You are right. If Mitt Romney becomes Commander in Chief he will command many more than 2000 LDS soldiers.

KevinG:

Technically true, but in practical terms not so much. The President sets overall military goals, and overall military policies. The Generals implement those goals and policies, and the individual soldiers carry out those orders in a chain of command. Not even George Washington as President become personally involved in the Whiskey Rebellion but sent representatives of his government to settle the disagreement.

While we have had many Presidents that have served in the military before becoming President, one even a Five Star General. They all have taken off that uniform before entering political office. I have had only one Commander in Chief(Richard Nixon), and that was only while he was President and I was actually in the military.

KevinG:

Technically true, but in practical terms not so much. The President sets overall military goals, and overall military policies. The Generals implement those goals and policies, and the individual soldiers carry out those orders in a chain of command. Not even George Washington as President become personally involved in the Whiskey Rebellion but sent representatives of his government to settle the disagreement.

While we have had many Presidents that have served in the military before becoming President, one even a Five Star General. They all have taken off that uniform before entering political office. I have had only one Commander in Chief(Richard Nixon), and that was only while he was President and I was actually in the military.

Read my quip again and picture my tongue firmly planted in my cheek.