Seriously No Politics ×

Paul Ryan Is Mitt'S Pic For Vp

blackstrap

Just sayin' . A Mormon and a Catholic working together. Whodathunkit.

The Church often cooperates in humanitarian efforts with the Catholic Charities... Seems to work quite nicely...

GG

Sure. From the L.A. Times

But it is the Ryan budget — with its steep cuts to food stamps, healthcare for children and the disabled, and social programs, while sparing the Pentagon — that has put him at odds with some in his church.

Catholic nuns made a multistate bus tour this summer to bring attention to the harm they say the Ryan budget would cause the poor communities they serve and the "enormous moral choices facing our country."

In an unusually pointed correspondence, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops urged lawmakers to consider the moral implications of their actions as they prepared to vote on the Ryan budget.

"We join with other Christian leaders in calling for a 'circle of protection' around our brothers and sisters at home and abroad who are poor and vulnerable," the bishops wrote in the spring. They said the "moral measure" of the debate "is not which party wins or which powerful interests prevail, but rather how those who are jobless, hungry, homeless or poor are treated."

But it is the Ryan budget — with its steep cuts to food stamps, healthcare for children and the disabled, and social programs, while sparing the Pentagon — that has put him at odds with some in his church.

Catholic nuns made a multistate bus tour this summer to bring attention to the harm they say the Ryan budget would cause the poor communities they serve and the "enormous moral choices facing our country."

In an unusually pointed correspondence, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops urged lawmakers to consider the moral implications of their actions as they prepared to vote on the Ryan budget.

"We join with other Christian leaders in calling for a 'circle of protection' around our brothers and sisters at home and abroad who are poor and vulnerable," the bishops wrote in the spring. They said the "moral measure" of the debate "is not which party wins or which powerful interests prevail, but rather how those who are jobless, hungry, homeless or poor are treated."

Thank goodness for the separation of church and state.

Ron Beron:

True, but there are many whom think just the opposite. That the US was established as a Christian nation. :fool:

While I believe the people who founded this country were Christian or Deist they understood that setting up a theocratic nation would be a big mistake. While I am completely conservative it bothers me to a degree to see the US flag in the chapel. It doesn't seem to belong there.

I have tremendous respect for most religious groups I think their voices should be considered, but given no more weight than any other, including the Catholics or Mormons.

Toss in at least one atheist Thomas Paine.

The Founders were well aware of the dangers of a too close an association between governments and religion. We today only read about in our history books. To them it was in the Newspapers.

I'm not very conservative, at least politically, and I agree.

I don't have to agree with any religion in order to respect it. I believe that the individuals voice should be heard, and considered. However the Church, Synagogue, Mosque,Temple, Sweat Lodge, what have you, should have no authority outside their own members. Personally I don't take kindly to any of the above telling me how I have to vote based on their religion.

As a Catholic, I do not expect the LA Times to EVER write a favorable story in regards to Paul Ryan's faith or for them to write a negative article in regards to how well Joe Biden follows his Catholic faith. :bad:

Enough said.

Why didn't Gov. Romney select Marco Rubio as his running mate. It seems that would have given him a better chance at winning the election?

IMHO, Rubio would have been a reasonable choice but with Ryan the focus will stay on the economy and jobs which I believe is where the discussion should focus. I can hope the VP choice will affect the Catholic vote which has chosen the President for the last 4 decades but we will see.

Cuts in increased spending...no Army...no freedom...no food.

Pa Pa:

Last I heard no one in either major party is arguing for the elimination of the Defense Department, though they do disagree over what levels it should be funded at. All guns and no bread doesn't work either.

Freedom never comes from the point of a gun, and more often than not the gun is used to extinguish freedom.

Freedom is unrelated to commerce. Those old Italian city states weren't what I'd call free. In as much as they were often ruled by one family of despots. They invented Capitalism. Communist China isn't free politically and they are eating our lunch in commerce.

You were in the military, without it none would be free...freedm allows commerce.

This thread is going to be shut down soon but I will just say: we do need a strong military, but how strong? There comes a point where military superiority should not come at the expense of the poor and needy. A massive military leads to wars, often wars that are not justified. The countless billions spent in Iraqi for reasons that were not justified in the end could have paid for a more effective health plan for example. I am not advocating such a shift, but we need to set aside the arrogance of the right and the hypocrisy of the left and come to a reasonable answer.

Pa Pa:

Last I heard no one in either major party is arguing for the elimination of the Defense Department, though they do disagree over what levels it should be funded at. All guns and no bread doesn't work either.

Freedom never comes from the point of a gun, and more often than not the gun is used to extinguish freedom.

Freedom is unrelated to commerce. Those old Italian city states weren't what I'd call free. In as much as they were often ruled by one family of despots. They invented Capitalism. Communist China isn't free politically and they are eating our lunch in commerce.

it is unfortunate that sound financial policies get lost among the calls for more guns, more prisons, and more 'christian values'.

The Catholic Bishops are non too happy with the Ryan "humanitarian" efforts.

Hello TSS...

Romney's choice... no matter who... would have been demonized by the Dems/left ... it would be too "political" for me to argue here with your statement, but I could make numerous legitimate, cogent arguments. Instead, I say to you, Top 'o the morning! and hope this day finds you well dear brother/.

from the beach on a breezy fall-is-in-the-air morning... can you believe it?! Where did the days of summer go? Of course I realize the Pacific Northwest is different from the rest of the country as they suffer in drought... Prayers for them.

GG

Archived