Seriously No Politics ×

White Jumpsuits Being Used For Baptisms-When Did That Start?

Duncan

On a more serious note-

Clothing for Baptism

A person who performs a baptism and a person who is baptized wear white clothing that does not appear transparent when it is wet. An endowed person wears the temple garment under this clothing while performing a baptism.

Local units should have baptismal clothing available and should not charge for its use. This clothing is purchased with budget funds. The bishop may ask members to clean and mend the clothing.

Actually the white jumpsuits are very nice... they are one piece and zip up the front, made from a quality heavy cotton duck material.

I was an ordinance worker for about six years, and had to give it up about 2 years ago... so that makes 8 years that the suits have been in use that I know of... and certainly longer than that I'm sure.

As people would come to the counter in the baptistry, we workers would hand out the suits and any under garmets as needed (someone always forgot that they would need an extra set of dry underwear, or that it needed to be white...red briefs just doesn't cut it).

I loved the work of the baptistry.

GG

Probably at least 50 years since my memory says I was baptized in one...though I remember it as polyester and not cotton (and thinking it was really tacky and uncomfortable). Any building that has a font probably has a closet in the bathrooms attached to them that have various sizes available...at least that has been the case in the last two buildings I went to that had fonts (one was a stake building, the other not but still had a font).

Edited by calmoriah

Probably at least 50 years since my memory says I was baptized in one...though I remember it as polyester and not cotton (and thinking it was really tacky and uncomfortable). Any building that has a font probably has a closet in the bathrooms attached to them that have various sizes available...at least that has been the case in the last two buildings I went to that had fonts (one was a stake building, the other not but still had a font).

Our closet is down the hall.

I was wondering when did the Church change to using white jumpsuits for baptisms? Is having one absolutley necessary?

I have no idea when they started doing it, but the jumpsuits are quite practical. You don't have to worry about pants falling down when they get wet and heavy, and they're easy to clean.

They started being used soon after Elvis was baptized.

LOL! :-D

What in the world is a "white jumpsuit?" Is it a uni-sexed garment?

Yes, they are unisex. (As far as I can tell, anyway!)