Seriously No Politics ×

Glenn Beck As A Fireside Speaker.

BCSpace

Travelled over to another Stake to scout their Glenn Beck fireside recently. Their Stake president had some reservations as one can imagine and I, frankly, was half expecting some sort of disturbance ala the Harry Reid fireside so I brought my camera and vid cam. Such thoughts were unjustified as everything was peaceful and orderly. I did not bring my recording equipment into the Church and I did not take notes so here is the best that I can recall with my imperfect memory in terms of specifics:

In this instance, he did not speak of his conversion story (he made short reference to it and broke down) though I've heard he does so on occaision. He spoke mainly on the theme of why are "you" a Mormon and wove it into a short historical account of the United States showing how God has guided events from Columbus to the founding fathers to JS. He had a very interesting way of turning the View of the Hebrews into evidence for the BoM in that what was seen by that author confirms the BoM account. Such an argument though seems to require a belief in an Upstate New York LGT.

He recounted some details of his trip to Jerusalem last year and how he felt the Lord guided it, how miracles happened to open up an opportunity to speak near the Temple Mount in terms of convincing the Jewish government to allow it to happen. He does VERY strongly feel it was what the Lord wanted him to do and he had no choice but to obey the voice of the Lord by the Spirit if he was going to be honest about saying he believes his religion. He says the danger there is often expressed in terms of how many "vests" (suicide vests) are running around according to the latest intelligence.

He spoke of how in his travels and speeches he senses the question of "why are you a Mormon?" is becomming more earnest and less derogatory. He senses that religions, specifically U.S. Christians, are comming together more readily and effectively to combat evil in our day. He totally respects other faiths, the context being other Christians and Jews. It would be complete speculation on my part based on this alone to say he disrepects any other faiths.

He challenged everyone to be that shining city on a hill, a Moses or an Abraham in miniature etc. He was also weaving everything into the opening hymn which was Come, Come Ye Saints.

Not the best of the best of speakers imho but he is fairly good. He definitely brings the Spirit and has a great testimony. Weaves in lots of moderate humor. Due to the nature of his work and the extent of his fame, it seems likely that people on the other side of the political aisle will hear what they want to hear in between his words but he says nothing overtly counter to doctrine or anything that should be offensive to anyone as far as I can tell so if any stumbling blocks are being created during the talk, it's not going to be by Beck. Lasted a little over an hour. Combined with intro and closing was about 1.5 hours. He's a pretty tall guy. Nice family.

I am going to recommend him to our Stake as a safe and inspiring speaker. The other Stake President felt the same way afterwards even though we don't necessarily agree with every detail of what he said (NY LGT implication for example). I personally am not influenced much by his type of style but I know many people are and style ultimately doesn't matter if the Spirit is there.

P.S. He used a quote by Jefferson (I forget what it was but I had heard it before) to illustrate that God does not shy away from honest questions and basically asked everyone to question everything (ala Jefferson) and that the truth of the Church easily stands up to such questions which notion I completely agree with. His use of View of the Hebrews does show some exposure to apologetics.

P.S. He used a quote by Jefferson (I forget what it was but I had heard it before) to illustrate that God does not shy away from honest questions and basically asked everyone to question everything (ala Jefferson) and that the truth of the Church easily stands up to such questions which notion I completely agree with.

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."

I enjoyed his Conversion Story DVD that he put out with Deseret Book a few years back, it helped several investigators we were teaching that had had a harder time in life. It would be interesting to see him in a fireside.

I've seen him speak once at a dinner, can't remember exactly what the occasion was....only that I had to get really dressed up (well, as dressed up as anyone can make me get, still managed to sneak in wearing pants).

I found as long as he kept to the personal stuff I enjoyed him. He is very good at telling his own story.

P.S. He used a quote by Jefferson (I forget what it was but I had heard it before) to illustrate that God does not shy away from honest questions and basically asked everyone to question everything (ala Jefferson) and that the truth of the Church easily stands up to such questions which notion I completely agree with.
"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."

A good one but can't remember if that's the one. Thanks.

I enjoyed his Conversion Story DVD that he put out with Deseret Book a few years back, it helped several investigators we were teaching that had had a harder time in life. It would be interesting to see him in a fireside.

These firesides locally have been promoted as missionary opportunities. I'd say they are very good for that.

I am very surprised that there was not a demonstration at Brother Becks fireside.

Not sure why there would be, since the majority of LDS are very conservative.

Harry Reid, on the other hand, is really disliked by a lot of people in the church. I have even seen LDS accuse him of being an apostate and saying that he should be excommunicated. Sad.

[sarcasm]That must be the decisive key, then ... "when the membership knows it." Clearly, it's all is justifiably substantiated.[/sarcasm]

What does Matthew 7:1-2 teach us?

"Judge not, that ye be not judged.For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged."

Suggesting that one is "apostate" or is "in opposition to the Church" is hardly cool. Life is complex. Let's not oversimplify things by unnecessarily applying derogatory labels.

Only when such claims are unsubstantiated. In this case however, there is ample substantiation. The membership knows it, hence the protestations.

I am going to assume that you are implying that Senator Reid is in opposition to the Church because he recently voiced support of Same Sex Civil Marriage. You have to consider carefully what one says, and in what context in order to come to a fair understanding of where they stand on an issue. It helps if you can divest yourself of preconceived prejudices.

While I would not personally move to voice support for Same Sex Marriage, it is easy to understand why some members might when the government has so inextricably involved itself in what was essentially a religious sacrament. It is unfortunate that the government has not yet simply jettisoned the term marriage in describing the unions it chooses to endow with certain civil rights and responsibilities, and until it does so, some in the Church will feel they cannot, in good conscience, oppose SSM. We should respect that without suggesting that they stand in opposition to the Church.

If, on the other hand, you are suggesting that Senator Reid is in opposition to the Church because he is holding Romney's feet to the fire with regard to his riches that he chooses to hide from the American people, well then, there may be a lot of us that are in the same place as the Senator.

Travelled over to another Stake to scout their Glenn Beck fireside recently. Their Stake president had some reservations as one can imagine and I, frankly, was half expecting some sort of disturbance ala the Harry Reid fireside so I brought my camera and vid cam. Such thoughts were unjustified as everything was peaceful and orderly. I did not bring my recording equipment into the Church and I did not take notes so here is the best that I can recall with my imperfect memory in terms of specifics:

In this instance, he did not speak of his conversion story (he made short reference to it and broke down) though I've heard he does so on occaision. He spoke mainly on the theme of why are "you" a Mormon and wove it into a short historical account of the United States showing how God has guided events from Columbus to the founding fathers to JS. He had a very interesting way of turning the View of the Hebrews into evidence for the BoM in that what was seen by that author confirms the BoM account. Such an argument though seems to require a belief in an Upstate New York LGT.

He recounted some details of his trip to Jerusalem last year and how he felt the Lord guided it, how miracles happened to open up an opportunity to speak near the Temple Mount in terms of convincing the Jewish government to allow it to happen. He does VERY strongly feel it was what the Lord wanted him to do and he had no choice but to obey the voice of the Lord by the Spirit if he was going to be honest about saying he believes his religion. He says the danger there is often expressed in terms of how many "vests" (suicide vests) are running around according to the latest intelligence.

He spoke of how in his travels and speeches he senses the question of "why are you a Mormon?" is becomming more earnest and less derogatory. He senses that religions, specifically U.S. Christians, are comming together more readily and effectively to combat evil in our day. He totally respects other faiths, the context being other Christians and Jews. It would be complete speculation on my part based on this alone to say he disrepects any other faiths.

He challenged everyone to be that shining city on a hill, a Moses or an Abraham in miniature etc. He was also weaving everything into the opening hymn which was Come, Come Ye Saints.

Not the best of the best of speakers imho but he is fairly good. He definitely brings the Spirit and has a great testimony. Weaves in lots of moderate humor. Due to the nature of his work and the extent of his fame, it seems likely that people on the other side of the political aisle will hear what they want to hear in between his words but he says nothing overtly counter to doctrine or anything that should be offensive to anyone as far as I can tell so if any stumbling blocks are being created during the talk, it's not going to be by Beck. Lasted a little over an hour. Combined with intro and closing was about 1.5 hours. He's a pretty tall guy. Nice family.

I am going to recommend him to our Stake as a safe and inspiring speaker. The other Stake President felt the same way afterwards even though we don't necessarily agree with every detail of what he said (NY LGT implication for example). I personally am not influenced much by his type of style but I know many people are and style ultimately doesn't matter if the Spirit is there.

P.S. He used a quote by Jefferson (I forget what it was but I had heard it before) to illustrate that God does not shy away from honest questions and basically asked everyone to question everything (ala Jefferson) and that the truth of the Church easily stands up to such questions which notion I completely agree with. His use of View of the Hebrews does show some exposure to apologetics.

I don't agree with all Glen say's but he is truly converted. "For when thou art converted, strengthen they breathren".

[sarcasm]That must be the decisive key, then ... "when the membership knows it." Clearly, it's all is justifiably substantiated.[/sarcasm]

What does Matthew 7:1-2 teach us?

"Judge not, that ye be not judged.For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged."

Suggesting that one is "apostate" or is "in opposition to the Church" is hardly cool. Life is complex. Let's not oversimplify things by unnecessarily applying derogatory labels.

Just an observation. That scripture is not about "not judging" but rather being careful to judge righteously. We all must make judgements but must remember that we will be judged in the same manner we choose to judge others.

Archived