Seriously No Politics ×

Fair Conference: Gay Rights And Feminism Don'T Represent Us

BCSpace

Johanson detailed his approach to the conflicting messages coming from his church and the culture.

"I was never attracted to girls, until Alyssa came into my life. … The more time I spent with her, the more we fell in love. Then, I started wanting to kiss her, like a lot. I wanted to do more," Johanson said. "I had never had those feelings for a woman before, and she remains the only woman to whom I am sexually attracted."

The two were married in the LDS Oakland Temple and now have a young son.

But they don’t feel supported by activists, even in the church, Johanson said. "The gay-rights movement no more represents me just because I am gay than the feminist movement represents my wife because she is female."

Critics presume that attraction naturally leads to a desire for same-sex relationships, but that is not always the case, he said. "There are many faithful Latter-day Saints who have overcome their desire for same-sex relationships. LDS Family Services estimates there are four or five members in every ward with SSA, and about half have a temple marriage and kids."

It’s not about "changing your attractions," Johanson said in an interview, "it’s about managing them."

After the speech, many attendees shared their stories — people who are married to someone with same-sex attraction, someone whose son has it, and others.

http://www.sltrib.co...on-gay.html.csp

This is the kind of attitude we're looking for/shooting for when someone in the Ward or Stake is suffering from homosexuality.

This was an excellent presentation. It presented a side we rarely hear in the play to the radical homosexual media. His message was so important to anyone struggling with an attraction that is not in keeping with the standards of God.

I can't think of one gay friend who would say they are "suffering" homosexuality. In fact, I feel quite sure they would be offended with that observation. This person appears to have wanted to "manage" their attractions, and good for them… hopefully they will get what they want or need in this mortality. That doesn't mean that everyone who is gay WANTS to be in keeping with the "standards of God" as this church sees it. And we should not be putting that judgement on them for not wanting to "manage" their sexuality in that way. Just my opinion….

That doesn't mean that everyone who is gay WANTS to be in keeping with the "standards of God" as this church sees it.

The point of the talk was that the SSA community needed to be made aware there was an alternative to the loud radical gay community. He made the point that not everyone would be able to make the choice he made but they needed to accept his choice as well.

This is the kind of attitude we're looking for/shooting for when someone in the Ward or Stake is suffering from homosexuality.

This is the exact kind of attitude, the encouragement of homosexuals to overcome their sexual orientation and enter into a hetorsexual relationship, that often and usually cause so much heartache and sadness for all parties involved.

This is the exact kind of attitude, the encouragement of homosexuals to overcome their sexual orientation and enter into a hetorsexual relationship, that often and usually cause so much heartache and sadness for all parties involved.

Sigh. It wasn't about changing orientation and entering a heterosexual relationship. It was about knowing the difference between attraction and behavior. Did you even read the talk?

Archived