Seriously No Politics ×

Provo Best Place To "Age"

Calm

http://finance.yahoo...-125850096.html

Thought some might find it interesting.

Provo received its high marks for a number of reasons, including a healthy lifestyle and its position as the number one place for small business growth. The metro is home to seven medical centers, the fewest fast-food restaurants per capita and five percent of the city's workforce walks to work. It also has the lowest poverty rate among seniors.

But Provo does have its faults, according to Milken, including the highest unemployment rate for those 65 and over. It is also expensive to live there.

Since I don't plan on aging anymore, I'll hang out here in southern California. Thank you. ;)

It all depends where in So Cal... I grew up in Rialto and San Bernardino... Berdoo (1950's) was beautiful, Rialto a pretty little suburb... How I loved it then. It was an ideal "Happy Days" time to grow up. Now... San Bdno has just declared bankruptcy... bankruptcy for goodness sake!! How did that happen?? I left So Cal in 1978 and moved to San Fran, then retired here to Oregon coast in 1990. I'd go "home" once/twice per year and saw the deterioration setting in over the years. Last time I was home I couldn't believe the change... it saddened me greatly. Now my folks are gone and there's no reason for me to go back except that my dear husband is buried there, and I will be too. If it wasn't that I wanted to be buried with my husband, I'd buy a plot in a little cemetery here that is on a hill and overlooks the ocean with one of the most stunning views imaginable. But, I will be shipped south to congested, run down, stifling So Cal... sigh...

GG

I was enamored with Provo 35-40 years ago and tried to get an opportunity to move there. It didn't work out and I am now glad it didn't. I would have liked to live in the old Provo. Present day Provo - not so much.

Present day Provo doesn't have a lot of character, just seems stuffed with the usual franchises, etc.

The landscaping does tend to be nicer though, not just a little mound with petunias on it.

I was enamored with Provo 35-40 years ago and tried to get an opportunity to move there. It didn't work out and I am now glad it didn't. I would have liked to live in the old Provo. Present day Provo - not so much.

When I took my daughter to the MTC, many young people who seemed to be students had hotel rooms to drink...lot of beer being drunk.

When I took my daughter to the MTC, many young people who seemed to be students had hotel rooms to drink...lot of beer being drunk.

Don't know about that but a certain percentage of college students will do what they will. The Provo of 35-40 years ago still had the character of a smaller agricultural community.

Don't know about that but a certain percentage of college students will do what they will. The Provo of 35-40 years ago still had the character of a smaller agricultural community.

This was about 15 years ago...they were talking about football practice and classes at school. My daughter was shocked when one guy asked her out...we were there at this motel two days. She was shocked when she said I am about to enter the MTC...he seemed unphased.

My kids all live near me now...and in 5 months Caleb will be home. I just hope he can find a job in this economy.

My son is doing well in the Army. If his grades were good he may have a chance at an ROTC slot if he is interested. It is tough for youngsters.

You have my PM info so have him give me a call and I'll get him in touch with LDS employment and do a free resume review/writing session with him.

My son is doing well in the Army. If his grades were good he may have a chance at an ROTC slot if he is interested. It is tough for youngsters.

You have my PM info so have him give me a call and I'll get him in touch with LDS employment and do a free resume review/writing session with him.

Thanks...Caleb did 4 years in ROTC...Naval which is odd for a school in Powder Springs. even more often in GA his officer and NCO was Mormon.

Thanks...Caleb did 4 years in ROTC...Naval which is odd for a school in Powder Springs. even more often in GA his officer and NCO was Mormon.

Cool. He could get a pay grade bump for the ROTC if he goes enlisted. It depends on the enlistment deal but mine got a two grade bump for Eagle and recruiting another soldier.

Still have him contact me about his resume. I've done some for my children in their early 20s and they have had some success on job searches. He may be interested in the Kennesaw Branch too. My kids can hook him up!!

Cool. He could get a pay grade bump for the ROTC if he goes enlisted. It depends on the enlistment deal but mine got a two grade bump for Eagle and recruiting another soldier.

Still have him contact me about his resume. I've done some for my children in their early 20s and they have had some success on job searches. He may be interested in the Kennesaw Branch too. My kids can hook him up!!

So he went is as a PFC...cool. Every promotion I ever received came on the first day of a wavier. Which means I moved up very quickly. I was enlisted man of the quater on my base and then NCO of same. I would appear before officers and answer question about military topics. I have (or had) almost a perfect memory of anything I read. I am still this way of everything that interests me when I hear it...I could type if allowed everything said in the Temple. But this can be a curse...you also remember the bad things said and that can make it hard to hear. But if he went in the military he would be E-2 min, but possibly E-3 (PFC). Has your son had any college...there is always OCS. Caleb rank my only be increased if he goes Navy, because of his Naval ROTC.

So he went is as a PFC...cool. Every promotion I ever received came on the first day of a wavier. Which means I moved up very quickly. I was enlisted man of the quater on my base and then NCO of same. I would appear before officers and answer question about military topics. I have (or had) almost a perfect memory of anything I read. I am still this way of everything that interests me when I hear it...I could type if allowed everything said in the Temple. But this can be a curse...you also remember the bad things said and that can make it hard to hear. But if he went in the military he would be E-2 min, but possibly E-3 (PFC). Has your son had any college...there is always OCS. Caleb rank my only be increased if he goes Navy, because of his Naval ROTC.

I don't know about Navy but the Army has a future soldier course that will give them one grade. College may give them another. My son has not taken any college yet but plans to start when he gets to his first assignment so he can qualify for some type of officer training or the physicians assistant program.

I don't know about Navy but the Army has a future soldier course that will give them one grade. College may give them another. My son has not taken any college yet but plans to start when he gets to his first assignment so he can qualify for some type of officer training or the physicians assistant program.

I was offered OCS, but it required a 7 year commitment for flight school, so I became a crew chief and ended up staying 8 years...kicked myself many times.

Archived