Seriously No Politics ×

Funeral Potatoes

AddamS

I've always looked the name FP as being an indicator that it wa sthe ultimate comfort food.

As for Manti chicken, I heard the dish was made at a festival of sorts in Manti so the dish took the name. Not much different than St. Louis Ribs, or a Chicago Dog.

I have never heard of Manti Chicken!

So, does everyone else agree with Sister AddamS? Is it the savory blandness? (i've only had funeral potatoes about 5 times in my whole life so i don't really feel i'm qualfied to judge).

Honestly....

I am a Funeral Potatoes apostate. I never eat them. Anything with canned cream of whatever soup in them makes me gag.....

Am I going to hell?

Does it involve mushroom soup? You can make almost anything taste good with mushroom soup. ;)

Honestly....

I am a Funeral Potatoes apostate. I never eat them. Anything with canned cream of whatever soup in them makes me gag.....

Am I going to hell?

Yes! ;)

I've always looked the name FP as being an indicator that it wa sthe ultimate comfort food.

As for Manti chicken, I heard the dish was made at a festival of sorts in Manti so the dish took the name. Not much different than St. Louis Ribs, or a Chicago Dog.

Maybe I am just jealous because Atlanta has no food named after it. :)

You can make almost anything taste good with mushroom soup. ;)

:bad:

(I do like some made from scratch mushroom soup, it is just the grayish white goo from a can I have nightmares about.)

Edited by calmoriah

I'm not LDS but my wife's family is so I have been to many a LDS gathering and adopted many of the foods found there (Manti Chicken, Funeral Potatoes, etc...)

I made my own funeral potatoes recipe and it is more or less fairly standard, but I added a can of diced green chiles to the mix and it makes them taste spectacular if I do say so myself.

Here's the rub:

My wife contends that adding something spicy to funeral potatoes makes it fall out of the line of traditional recipe. So much so that I should call the dish 'Cheesy Chile Potato Casserole' or something of the like.

What say you?

Does adding chiles to funeral potatoes wander from the original recipe too much?

Hate to burst your creative bubble, but I've eaten Funeral Potatoes with diced green chiles on several occasions. Someone in our current ward makes them like that all the time, and I'm certain I saw the "chile variant" even before we moved to Cedar City.

I think onions should be a required ingredient.

My wife usually makes them with frozen hashbrowns (the grated kind), grated cheddar, and onions. Not as good as her potato salad, by any means, but still not bad.

Edited by William Schryver

According to my wife, part of the allure of FPs are their (and I quote) "Savory Blandness". Adding spicy chiles dramatically alters the taste.

Also, they are a "comfort food", some people might become uncomfortable with adding anything racy like "hot spices".

Edited by Tacenda

Hate to burst your creative bubble, but I've eaten Funeral Potatoes with diced green chiles on several occasions. Someone in our current ward makes them like that all the time, and I'm certain I saw the "chile variant" even before we moved to Cedar City.

I think onions should be a required ingredient.

My wife usually makes them with frozen hashbrowns (the grated kind), grated cheddar, and onions. Not as good as her potato salad, by any means, but still not bad.

I was sure I wasn't the first. I just didn't know if they retained the moniker.

Marinade:

• 1/2 cup oil
  • 2 cups Sprite
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • Marinade about ~5 Pounds Chicken for a few hours, then grill.
  • It is pretty tasty, but has a lot of oil in it for something that is going on chicken.

Marinade:

• 1/2 cup oil
  • 2 cups Sprite
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • Marinade about ~5 Pounds Chicken for a few hours, then grill.
  • It is pretty tasty, but has a lot of oil in it for something that is going on chicken.

sounds dee-lish!!

Though i am kind of curious on why some of those who didn't bat an eye at a myriad of funeral potato recipes also didn't think you could add chilis and still call it funeral potatoes. I'm thinking maybe i'm missing something that is obvious to them and was wondering what it was.

Adding ham is more acceptable than chilis... adding broccoli is a stretch... but chilis change the basic flavor. There's something about the rich, creaminess that has a certain flavor... adding chilis changes the flavor to something entirely different to the taste. Someone mentioned the "blandness." I think that's it... just a rich, creamy, buttery blandness that is comforting, rather than someting that challenges your taste buds with a spicy-hot chili.

GG

And thus was formed the great Council to define the funeral potatoe creed.

Are funeral potatoes with Chiles of the same substance as regular funeral potatoes? Are they one or could they be considered to have a seperate, distinct nature?

And thus was formed the great Council to define the funeral potatoe creed.

Are funeral potatoes with Chiles of the same substance as regular funeral potatoes? Are they one or could they be considered to have a seperate, distinct nature?

As funeral potatoes with chiles are, funeral potatoes once were; as funeral potatoes with chile are, funeral potatoes may become.

Edited by AddamS
  • 4 months later...

Seems like many folks here are serious about these funeral potatoes. Sounds like a must try...although I am confused about the official recipe still, three pages in ;) Also do I mix frozen hash browns in as they are with the other ingredient and then bake? I'll leave the chips off because I heated up a friend's casserole with chips on it at our work potluck and the oven caught on fire!

Does any other recipe have the same status or reputation that is on the must try list? Perhaps something with Chicken?

My grandfather moved out of Utah for a job in the District of Columbia when my father (the youngest child) was young, effectively making me the first Farnsworth in my line born outside of Utah since 1830. We've been living here ever since.

That said, though I have been raised in Mormon culture, it has never been Utah Mormon culture. I had funeral potatoes for what I think was the second time in my life on Christmas Eve this year. I would be fine with calling your recipe funeral potatoes, but judging from the few posts on this thread that I have read, that would make the Utahns cry.

Seems like many folks here are serious about these funeral potatoes. Sounds like a must try...although I am confused about the official recipe still, three pages in ;) Also do I mix frozen hash browns in as they are with the other ingredient and then bake? I'll leave the chips off because I heated up a friend's casserole with chips on it at our work potluck and the oven caught on fire!

Does any other recipe have the same status or reputation that is on the must try list? Perhaps something with Chicken?

Hi follower...

I always use the hash browns...

The other recipes that seem a part of Mormon "culture" are tuna/noodle casserole (with potato chips on top), and, green jello (sometimes with added shredded carrots or sometimes pineapple). The green jello thing has become sort of a joke, but tuna/noodle is pretty standard fare at our pot lucks... and also feeds a hungry family.

GG