Holy Sprirt

Hell, I am new here, so if my post is in the wrong place then I apologise. Firstly, I am not LDS, I am Catholic, but have questions about some spects of your theology. Once again if I shouldn't be posting here I apologise.

Ok here's my question, and it is genuine, I am not here for self serving controversy. How did the Holy Spirit become God without a body?

I was once, many years ago, LDS, obviously I no longer am, but this question used to puzzle me,and still does, so if anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Hello SBG, welcome to the forum. You can post it here or in the first forum called "General Discussion". This forum is often used for social topics.

It is a good question, but I would probably also say that it is not discussed in any scripture. In the doctrine of the Trinity it is not described how God became God or is God; he just is. This is similar in LDS theology; we have no information as to why or how God is God; he just is. This is just as true for the Holy Spirit as it is for God the Father and the Son.

However, we do have some information we can look at. Jesus, at the direction of the Father, created all that is. We know that Jesus was a spirit before he took a mortal body; yet he functioned as the Creator. At the same time, we know that gaining a mortal body is important to God. We know this because it is part of the gift of immortality that he gave us; the resurrection is the re-uniting of the body and our spirit. Jesus has a body today just as he did when he showed himself unto the apostles and said touch the wounds in the hands and side. It was Jesus' own resurrection that declares the importance of a physcial body; if it were not so, why resurrect the body?

There are many questions that can be asked; some of them we know about in the scripture. At other times, some of the Latter-day prophets and apostles have discussed topics, which may be worth studying, but much has not been added to our canon and cannot be considered doctrine or scripture. Regardless, I have given you the best answer I can.

Feel free to ask any questions you like. God bless you,

Thankyou for those replies, I suppose it is difficult for mere men to tie up all the loose ends. A bit like the pot understanding the potter so to speak.

bluebell, I know LDS who believe that the Holy Ghost will have a body some day. But I have not read any scripture that says that. Are you aware of any scriptural/official doctrinal basis for that belief?

May i respectfully ask why he would need a body as he is already God? I mean, what would a body bring to him that he might need as he is already Almight God. I mean, how can that be improved upon?

bluebell, I know LDS who believe that the Holy Ghost will have a body some day. But I have not read any scripture that says that. Are you aware of any scriptural/official doctrinal basis for that belief?

Just the doctrine that all perfected beings have a body of flesh and bone because a fullness of joy/exaltation cannot be experienced without one.

Edited by bluebell

Isn't the Holy Spirit already perfected, how would a body enhance his perfection, is he not already exalted? Are you saying that he isn't quite God. or somehow God but not quite perfect in some way? Or that he still has some way to go in his journey to becoming God?

As Bulebell stated, SOME people think that the Holy Spirit will have a body one day, but it is not found in scripture and is only speculation. Grace, I am curious about your thoughts. Is a physical body important to God? If not, why do you think there is a resurrection? What is the value for the body to be reunited with the spirit?

Isn't the Holy Spirit already perfected, how would a body enhance his perfection, is he not already exalted? Are you saying that he isn't quite God. or somehow God but not quite perfect in some way? Or that he still has some way to go in his journey to becoming God?

How do you define perfected?

I'm not sure how much this'll add to the discussion, but I'll throw it out there in any event. Even though Christ achieved perfection in His premortal state, there was still one more thing even He had to do in order to become fully perfected: the cherry on top of the sundae, or the icing on the cake you might say. Compare Matthew 5:48 (KJV) with 3 Nephi 12:48.

Food for thought, anyway. :)

Thank you everyone for your comments. Storm Rider, as I said at the beginning this was a question that always intrigued/bothered/confused me to which I never knew the answer, so therefore I have no clear thoughts on it. But it is confusing from the perspective of as God is man may become, and the whole process of working towards Godhood, which if I remember correctly is something like, you are born a spirit to you Godly parents, sent into the world to gain experience of sin and life etc, to overcome and by going through church and temple ordinances, and after all you can do, you die, and if worthy enter the Celestioal Kingdom where a man may become God like his own father, and he may raise his wife, or maybe more than one wife with whom he has more spirit children

Sorry I got cut short, so continue, and the process begins again. If this is the eternal plan, the how is the Holy Spirit different.

May I ask another question, how do heavenly parents of flesh and bone bring forth spirit children, that was another puzzler for me.

May you all have a blessed Sunday

Sorry I got cut short, so continue, and the process begins again. If this is the eternal plan, the how is the Holy Spirit different.

May I ask another question, how do heavenly parents of flesh and bone bring forth spirit children, that was another puzzler for me.

May you all have a blessed Sunday

We do not know the process by which our spirits were created. Not sure what you mean by "how is the Holy Spirit different."

Grace, you seem to like the mysteries. We have no clue how spirit children are created. How does faith work? How do miracles happen? Why does love feel so good? How exactly did Jesus' sacrifice allow us to be resurrected? We all can have questions that have no answers. It is not a bad thing to search out the mysteries of God, but it takes a lot of study, prayer, and walking with the Spirit. When you learn a mystery, it is not taught freely to people. Jesus did not do that, but pulled the Apostles aside and taught them alone.

Questions are also not bad, but not receiving an answer is also not a bad thing either.

My complete speculation is that the Holy Ghost in one world is the Savior in the next. Because the Holy Ghost can't be born into a body without leaving that person and everyone else who is still living on earth without the gift of the Holy Ghost. And we believe that we came to earth FOR the purpose of getting a body because we needed it to progress further and become like God. We have only to picture what hugs do for us to know a tiny bit of the new dimension that a body brings to our spirits (and that doesn't even touch the making families that also requires bodies).