Seriously No Politics ×

Bsa Unanimously Reaffirms Homosexual Ban

BCSpace

NEW YORK • After a confidential two-year review, the Boy Scouts of America on Tuesday emphatically reaffirmed its policy of excluding gays, ruling out any changes despite relentless protest campaigns by some critics.

An 11-member special committee, formed discreetly by top Scout leaders in 2010, "came to the conclusion that this policy is absolutely the best policy for the Boy Scouts," the organization’ national spokesman, Deron Smith, told The Associated Press.

Smith said the committee, comprised of professional scout executives and adult volunteers, was unanimous in its conclusion — preserving a long-standing policy that was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2000 and has remained controversial ever since.

As a result of the committee’s decision, the Scouts’ national executive board will take no further action on a recently submitted resolution asking for reconsideration of the membership policy.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/54503343-68/policy-scouts-national-board.html.csp

As a private organization, BSA is free to set the rules of inclusion/exclusion for it's membership.

As a private organization, BSA is also excluded from receiving the full benefits of public organizations.

Both of the above statements are fair and just.

In time, I predict BSA will eventually choose to change this policy, but not until the LDS Faith first accepts practicing gays and lesbians in full fellowship. The BSA is very dependent upon and influenced by LDS support, and I believe BSA's policies will continue to reflect LDS values.

My view,

Daniel2

what do they think will happen if Gays are allowed in the BSA?

Personally, i think it would just be trouble waiting to happen-akin to letting women be boy scout masters. Even if each and every leader was perfectly moral, the chance for litigation would probably be astronomical.

Personally, i think it would just be trouble waiting to happen-akin to letting women be boy scout masters. Even if each and every leader was perfectly moral, the chance for litigation would probably be astronomical.

I just kind of wonder if they think that Gays and pedophiles are one and the same. Pedophiles I can see not being allowed in! I can see the litigation aspect of it though

I just kind of wonder if they think that Gays and pedophiles are one and the same. Pedophiles I can see not being allowed in! I can see the litigation aspect of it though

My thoughts exactly. It's just going to open the door to more hate crimes.

As a private organization, BSA is free to set the rules of inclusion/exclusion for it's membership.

As a private organization, BSA is also excluded from receiving the full benefits of public organizations.

Both of the above statements are fair and just.

In time, I predict BSA will eventually choose to change this policy, but not until the LDS Faith first accepts practicing gays and lesbians in full fellowship. The BSA is very dependent upon and influenced by LDS support, and I believe BSA's policies will continue to reflect LDS values.

My view,

Daniel2

I'm pretty sure that this has nothing to do with the LDS and everything to do with parents not wanting their young teenage boys put with men who might be sexually attracted to them. People are willing to be as tolerant and as PC as all get out until it comes to their own children. Then they aren't.

I'm pretty sure that this has nothing to do with the LDS and everything to do with parents not wanting their young teenage boys put with men who might be sexually attracted to them. People are willing to be as tolerant and as PC as all get out until it comes to their own children. Then they aren't.

but again are gays sexually attracted to young boys or another group of people like pedophiles?

Pedophilia is attraction to pre-pubescent children. Most Boy Scouts are pubescent. Being potentially attracted to teenagers isn't a paraphilia.

Pedophilia is attraction to pre-pubescent children. Most Boy Scouts are pubescent. Being potentially attracted to teenagers isn't a paraphilia.

what category of men are attracted to teens? because unless you're a gay teen then it isn't gay adult men

I certainly respect that both you and I are entitled to our respective opinions about what "this has to do with."

As a gay father of three children (including my son, who's a boy scout), I imagine I'm just as protective of my children's safety as my straight counterparts.

However, as a gay father myself, I'd suppose that I'm probably more inclined to believe that male leaders' openness about a homosexual orientation isn't likely to increase the risk of sexual behavior by said leaders towards minors.

Daniel2

It's great to see an American icon, with which the LDS church affiliates, stand up to the continuous assault of the homosexual agenda.

This is not at all "great." Denying someone membership in any organization for something they can't control is wrong, period.

I may be wrong about this, but I don't think they exclude gay scouts, but gay leaders.

That is correct. Years ago when I lived in North Carolina our local United Way refused to give money to the Boy Scouts because they wouldn't allow gay leaders. Since then I have never contributed to UW. Every year my work has a campaign for UW and every year I refuse to participate.

I may be wrong about this, but I don't think they exclude gay scouts, but gay leaders.

From my research, the BSA does not grant membership to any homosexual individual, according to a 2012 press release. That seems to include both leaders and non-leaders.

From my research, the BSA does not grant membership to any homosexual individual, according to a 2012 press release. That seems to include both leaders and non-leaders.

While I believe what I'm about to say isn't necessarily what you're referring to, altersteve, it's worth noting that of COURSE the BSA grants membership to homosexuals that are both leaders and non-leaders--just not homosexuals that ADMIT they are such.

I was a boy scout. The other same-aged boy who initiated my first (and only) sexual contact as a minor (in our shared tent at boy scout camp) was also boy scout. To my knowledge, there are no 'worthiness' interviews of boys inquiring whether or not they are gay or experience attractions to other members of their own gender prior to their joining the organization.

As an adult, I have associated with many other men who have and still serve in the BSA, but who are living a straight lifestyle from all outward appearances.

The ridiculousness of this policy is that it excludes (at best) or punishes (at worst) those of us who are honest and candid about our sexual orientation (regardless of our level of sexual activity), and includes and rewards those that are dishonest. We can only presume whether or not such an environment increases or decreases the potential risk for pedophilic sexual predators...

Daniel2

That is correct. Years ago when I lived in North Carolina our local United Way refused to give money to the Boy Scouts because they wouldn't allow gay leaders. Since then I have never contributed to UW. Every year my work has a campaign for UW and every year I refuse to participate.

In a similar vein, since coming out, I've ceased financial contributions to the BSA, though I continue to physically support my son's participation and activities. Each year the local BSA has a campaign to donate, and each year I explain to anyone who knocks on my door or calls my phone to solicit a donation that I cannot donate to an anti-gay organization. I have, however, participated in charitable campaigns of the United Way. We all do missionary work in our own way, eh? ;)

Daniel2

Also, heterosexual adult males should have the right not to work with gay teenagers in the BSA.

While I believe what I'm about to say isn't necessarily what you're referring to, altersteve, it's worth noting that of COURSE the BSA grants membership to homosexuals that are both leaders and non-leaders--just not homosexuals that ADMIT they are such.

I was a boy scout. The other same-aged boy who initiated my first (and only) sexual contact as a minor (in our shared tent at boy scout camp) was also boy scout. To my knowledge, there are no 'worthiness' interviews of boys inquiring whether or not they are gay or experience attractions to other members of their own gender prior to their joining the organization.

As an adult, I have associated with many other men who have and still serve in the BSA, but who are living a straight lifestyle from all outward appearances.

The ridiculousness of this policy is that it excludes (at best) or punishes (at worst) those of us who are honest and candid about our sexual orientation (regardless of our level of sexual activity), and includes and rewards those that are dishonest. We can only presume whether or not such an environment increases or decreases the potential risk for pedophilic sexual predators...

Daniel2

And of course, the BSA knows this.

This is why I think it's all about protecting their rears from a situation where they would knowingly be putting grown men in leadership and chaperone positions over a group of kids who's gender those men have admitted to being sexually attracted to.

Archived