Seriously No Politics ×

Hello Everyone - New Person In The House

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if you 'do' introduction topics, but I just wanted to let you know a little about me and what I'm doing here. Somewhere (I really don't know where!) I followed a link to this forum and have enjoyed reading your discussions and insights. I'm a long-time convert to the church, though my activity for a few years has been somewhat limited as my husband is not a member. We have three children, two are still at home and were born to us in our 40's. I work full time and like most people lead a busy life with it's various joys and challenges. I haven't posted much on the internet for years but hope you will bear with me as I figure out how to contribute to discussions again. My current ward is a bit problematic (long story and not one I will bore you with) and so I am pretty starved for some gospel discussion and friendship. I am now going to sound even more boring - I love doing kid stuff with my children (what better excuse is there to go to Ice Age 4 followed by a trip to the Funzone and the park?), Scrabble (online, fast 3 minute games with the international scrabble players club and also like to play competitively in local clubs), history (both ancient and modern, and church history), literature, poetry and trivia, movies, bushwalking, gardening...and long walks on the beach (scratch that last one!). Apologies for the ridiculously long sentence. I am not an expert on any of the aforementioned subjects, but one can always dream. I hope you will let me take part in your community here as I look forward to contributing and getting to know you all. Because I'm in the Australian time zone I will most likely lag behind when topics start up and but I'll do my best to keep up!

Hello Aspasia...

And a welcome from the beautiful central Oregon coast... the Pacific Northwest USA...

Glad you found your way here.

Where do I find your Scrabble site? I love Scrabble, but fear your group may be too advanced for me. My husband and I played almost every evening after dinner... we were both pretty good but he would spring these 50-75 pointers on me, then laugh wickedly. I miss our evenings (widowed 14 years now). So I work crosswords, or play a few games of online Solitaire (to keep my mind sharp).

I'll look forward to your posts... Again, welcome...

from the beach on a rainy summer morning (at least I don't have to think about watering now)... GG

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if you 'do' introduction topics, but I just wanted to let you know a little about me and what I'm doing here. Somewhere (I really don't know where!) I followed a link to this forum and have enjoyed reading your discussions and insights. I'm a long-time convert to the church, though my activity for a few years has been somewhat limited as my husband is not a member. We have three children, two are still at home and were born to us in our 40's. I work full time and like most people lead a busy life with it's various joys and challenges. I haven't posted much on the internet for years but hope you will bear with me as I figure out how to contribute to discussions again. My current ward is a bit problematic (long story and not one I will bore you with) and so I am pretty starved for some gospel discussion and friendship. I am now going to sound even more boring - I love doing kid stuff with my children (what better excuse is there to go to Ice Age 4 followed by a trip to the Funzone and the park?), Scrabble (online, fast 3 minute games with the international scrabble players club and also like to play competitively in local clubs), history (both ancient and modern, and church history), literature, poetry and trivia, movies, bushwalking, gardening...and long walks on the beach (scratch that last one!). Apologies for the ridiculously long sentence. I am not an expert on any of the aforementioned subjects, but one can always dream. I hope you will let me take part in your community here as I look forward to contributing and getting to know you all. Because I'm in the Australian time zone I will most likely lag behind when topics start up and but I'll do my best to keep up!

Welcome from Georgia...

Welcome to the board. The best advice I can give is just don't take anything personal even when it is. Remember it is inevitable that your ideas are going to be challenged by someone sooner or later.

Hello Aspasia...

And a welcome from the beautiful central Oregon coast... the Pacific Northwest USA...

Glad you found your way here.

Where do I find your Scrabble site? I love Scrabble, but fear your group may be too advanced for me. My husband and I played almost every evening after dinner... we were both pretty good but he would spring these 50-75 pointers on me, then laugh wickedly. I miss our evenings (widowed 14 years now). So I work crosswords, or play a few games of online Solitaire (to keep my mind sharp).

I'll look forward to your posts... Again, welcome...

from the beach on a rainy summer morning (at least I don't have to think about watering now)... GG

Hi there Garden Girl - hope the rain has subsided in your neck of the woods! I have heard from friends that Oregon is indeed a beautiful place to live. I also live fairly close to the coast, but don't get to the beach very often...I suppose we do take it for granted when it's on our doorstep. So sorry to hear that you lost your beloved husband and the companionship you obviously enjoyed with him. I enjoy crosswords too. The site I play Scrabble at is www.isc.ro , it does require you to download the game but after that it's just a matter of familiarising yourself with the tools there. If you ever want to meet up for a game or just learn how to navigate the site, please drop me a message as I'm happy to help. If you like Scrabble, libraries often have local Scrab clubs - you might find one nearby? Thanks again for the welcome :)

Welcome to the Glass Menagerie.

Thank you SometimeSaint...now you've got me thinking...in what way is this site like the Glass Menagerie? Is it like the broken unicorn? The shattered illusions? TGM is my favourite Tennessee Williams play btw, next to "Streetcar Named Desire" :)

Welcome to the board. The best advice I can give is just don't take anything personal even when it is. Remember it is inevitable that your ideas are going to be challenged by someone sooner or later.

Thanks for the wise advice ERay, I will try not to be too sensitive and I'm ok with any of my ideas being challenged - I accept that's the nature of online discussions sometimes.