Seriously No Politics ×

How Many My Age; 55 Would Have Taken Typing More Seriously In School?

I know that it's time consuming for the poor fella that didn't take a class or didn't take it seriously. My husband regrets it big time. His typing is terrible, and I have to type for him on the computer. He's 51, so close to your age Pa Pa.

lol Papa. :D I took typing because my parents told me I would need it. Most jobs for women, back then, involved typing (unless you worked in a factory, like my mother did).

I took typing back in the dark ages, when we used only manual typewriters. Very difficult to build up speed with those clunky old things!

I learned the basics of typing in highschool, but speed comes with practice. Almost every job I held, required typing, so my speed increased with each job. Plus typing on an electric (or now on a keyboard) is soooo much easier. That probably doubled my speed.

I think they have online typing courses, if you want to improve. :)

I have seen some very fast 2 fingered typists,but I lost out on typing in high school because the school changed the requirements from 3 times/week to 5 times and I could not rearrange my schedule to accomodate. Seek and ye shall find is my process,and thank heavens for the 'edit' button.

I have seen some very fast 2 fingered typists,but I lost out on typing in high school because the school changed the requirements from 3 times/week to 5 times and I could not rearrange my schedule to accomodate. Seek and ye shall find is my process,and thank heavens for the 'edit' button.

I getting very good after 7 weeks using an iPad. Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

This type of thread makes me chuckle... you all have no idea what it was like when I was in high school... 1956-58... San Bernardino (which has just declared bankruptcy as a city).

I've told a few things in the past about the "good old days" because compared to today we were really primitive. I took the business courses because very few girls went on to serious university study... so when I think of my Office Practice class and the equipment we had, I just really chuckle, but it really wasn't odd to me because that's just the way things were... for instance, a calculator was a big, boxy thing with rows of numbers and icons, and a top portion that would move as it calculated. When you'd do a calculation it would start in... clunk, clunk, clunk, as it moved according to the decimal place, etc.

However, I do have to say that they really prepared us to be able to go out and get a job... what I learned in those high school business courses is what is offered today in an advanced business college program. I took shorthand and typing, office machines, business english and math, science, and gym (cheerleading). But two weeks after I graduated I had a top job as the secretary to the boss of a large company (in those days a very good position)... Except for the year I had at BYU (didn't find a husband; having too much fun), I was never without a job... always a top position... when I left Univ of CA, Riverside, I was Admin Asst to a dean of a 12 dept college... when I retired from San Fran St Univ I was Admin Operations Analyst for the Library & Learning Resources (computer facility). All on a high school educ (except for management courses taken at UC in-service training which qualified me for advanced positions).

My shorthand that I took in high school served me well until the day I retired (taking dictation from boss, meeting notes of faculty meetings, personnel meetings, etc).

Yes, I did quite well with just high school business courses, retiring after 30 years. I've been retired 22 yrs.

from the beach... GG

Edited by Garden Girl

I wanted to take typing in high school, however the school would not let me take it without credit (or in my case discredit) for it. I was and still am terribly fumble fingered and knew that I would fail that class miserably. So I opted out. I am really grateful for modern wordsmith software that allows a four fingered typist (two to type with and two to make mistakes with) to be able to produce legible (maybe not coherent) copy with spellcheckers and grammar checkers to catch most of my errors.

Looking back on it, I still would not have taken typing.

Glenn

This type of thread makes me chuckle... you all have no idea what it was like when I was in high school... 1956-58... San Bernardino (which has just declared bankruptcy as a city).

I've told a few things in the past about the "good old days" because compared to today we were really primitive. I took the business courses because very few girls went on to serious university study... so when I think of my Office Practice class and the equipment we had, I just really chuckle, but it really wasn't odd to me because that's just the way things were... for instance, a calculator was a big, boxy thing with rows of numbers and icons, and a top portion that would move as it calculated. When you'd do a calculation it would start in... clunk, clunk, clunk, as it moved according to the decimal place, etc.

However, I do have to say that they really prepared us to be able to go out and get a job... what I learned in those high school business courses is what is offered today in an advanced business college program. I took shorthand and typing, office machines, business english and math, science, and gym (cheerleading). But two weeks after I graduated I had a top job as the secretary to the boss of a large company (in those days a very good position)... Except for the year I had at BYU (didn't find a husband; having too much fun), I was never without a job... always a top position... when I left Univ of CA, Riverside, I was Admin Asst to a dean of a 12 dept college... when I retired from San Fran St Univ I was Admin Operations Analyst for the Library & Learning Resources (computer facility). All on a high school educ (except for management courses taken at UC in-service training which qualified me for advanced positions).

My shorthand that I took in high school served me well until the day I retired (taking dictation from boss, meeting notes of faculty meetings, personnel meetings, etc).

Yes, I did quite well with just high school business courses, retiring after 30 years. I've been retired 22 yrs.

from the beach... GG

Great story...wish I could give a few hundred rep points for this. My Grandpa had a store with such equipment, brings back very good memories.

I wanted to take typing in high school, however the school would not let me take it without credit (or in my case discredit) for it. I was and still am terribly fumble fingered and knew that I would fail that class miserably. So I opted out. I am really grateful for modern wordsmith software that allows a four fingered typist (two to type with and two to make mistakes with) to be able to produce legible (maybe not coherent) copy with spellcheckers and grammar checkers to catch most of my errors.

Looking back on it, I still would not have taken typing.

Glenn

In my case spell check only works when you misspell the right word, and then reconize it when you see it Among the many choices.

I have almost exclusively used a computer for writing for about 35 years.

I no longer have decent handwriting, but I type ok. Except for typos.

I used to have great handwriting...the other tried write a short note and my hand hurt. Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

Learned typing in junior high, like tss. Just a short course, but it was valuable all out of proportion to the time needed to learn to touch-type. I can get up to 60 wpm with few errors if I concentrate. Of course, i am not writing novels or anything, but computer programmers have to type a lot, too. Just not in coherent sentences.

if (something == this_one)

{

do_this(something);

int x = 0;

MessageBox.Show("What on earth do you think you're doing, anyway?");

MessageBox.Show("Who knows?");

return x++;

}

lol Papa. :D I took typing because my parents told me I would need it. Most jobs for women, back then, involved typing (unless you worked in a factory, like my mother did).

I took typing back in the dark ages, when we used only manual typewriters. Very difficult to build up speed with those clunky old things!

I learned the basics of typing in highschool, but speed comes with practice. Almost every job I held, required typing, so my speed increased with each job. Plus typing on an electric (or now on a keyboard) is soooo much easier. That probably doubled my speed.

I think they have online typing courses, if you want to improve. :)

I did the same as you. So glad for those classes, while living in the States. Remember buying my first electric typewriter, it was so much faster, thought I'd be using it for donkeys years. Then we bought a computer. How quick things change.

Never too late to learn Papa.

from the beach... GG

Wow, GG, I didn't know you had worked for the Cal-State University system. I retired from the Cal-State system, as well, only I didn't work in the system nearly as long as you did. I was only in for eleven years (Cal-State Fullerton...the same university from which I graduated). I was a stay-at-home mom with three kids for about 16 years, so going back out into the work force, after it had changed soooo much, was very intimidating! I worked as an Administrative Assistant III in the Physical Plant. We took care of maintenance and coordinated special events. It was a good job...I loved it. Been retired for about 12 years now.

You're right, about getting a solid business education, in high school. I took all of the same business classes, you did, and was able to get a pretty decent job, right out of high school. I put my husband through college. Then, he put me through college, after all of the kids were in school. :)

Edited by Libs

I took typing in HS just to be around more girls. Our wrestling coach was the teacher and he challenged me to beat the girls so I practiced a lot. Wasn't the top in the class but I beat most of the girls and can still move at a pretty good clip. I'm older than Pa Pa but don't really feel it. MW