Seriously No Politics ×

Byu Won'T Let Me Pick Up An A N E Minor Because I'Ve Graduated

I told them that I've already taken OT 1 & 2, NT 1 & 2 as an undergrad, and can take Biblical Hebrew 1, 2 through independent study. Then I can just take a few courses at a JC to complete the minor. I don't have to take up someone else's space on campus. They still said no.

If you have already graduated, the credits you have were assigned and cannot be carried forward to another certification. I know that was the case with the university I attended. If I was one course shy of a minor in a given subject, I had to take the course before I applied for graduation.

If you have already graduated, the credits you have were assigned and cannot be carried forward to another certification. I know that was the case with the university I attended. If I was one course shy of a minor in a given subject, I had to take the course before I applied for graduation.

I thought in Canada you can create your own program, no limits.

I told them that I've already taken OT 1 & 2, NT 1 & 2 as an undergrad, and can take Biblical Hebrew 1, 2 through independent study. Then I can just take a few courses at a JC to complete the minor. I don't have to take up someone else's space on campus. They still said no.

Isn't this standard procedure regardless of the minor or the person making the request?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I thought in Canada you can create your own program, no limits.

Once your program is done it is done. You can only make a program that is provided. One can take a major in history with a minor in french and take as many other courses as you like. Once you graduate, however, none of these credits can be carried forward to another degree. Once you graduate, you are done - you need to determine your majors and minors before you graduate.

Minors don't work that way. They aren't like Eagle Palms after you've earned your Eagle. They are awarded with the bachelor's degree. Just get another bachelor's degree.

They won't let you do that either.

You have no real options here in Utah Valley. However, if you want to continue in school, you might want to pursue an interdisciplinary M.A. at the UofU Middle East Center. The application deadline for Fall 2013 is Jan 15, 2013, which gives you time to prepare to specialize in Hebrew.

You will be required to complete 33 hours, half in Hebrew, including 6 on a thesis.

You must demonstrate proficiency in one European language other than English.

You must have completed the third year of a Hebrew program (minimum). If not, they require that you take 3010 and 3020 in Hebrew to bring you up to speed, but that won't count as graduate credit. See http://www.mec.utah.edu/?pageId=263 .

If you are worried about the commute to SLC several days a week, bear in mind that the rapid transit system from Provo will be in full operation by this Fall.

Also, keep in mind that you can prepare your skills in both Hebrew and some European language at UVU or BYU. The Hebrew University of Jerusalem also has online credit courses in every type of Hebrew, which could also give you a leg up. Let me know if you want further details.

Why is this a problem for the board?

Just take it over to utefans.net. You will get tons of sympathy over there. In fact, by the time they are through, you will wonder why you ever even considered attending BYU.

Minors don't work that way. They aren't like Eagle Palms after you've earned your Eagle. They are awarded with the bachelor's degree. Just get another bachelor's degree.

Or a certificate, if you're not feeling the ambition a second bachelor's might require. :)

... Or you could also approach the devils school ...

Ken = Proud Graduate of The Devil's School! :diablo:

(Remember, even the University Up North used to be the University of Deseret! :))

P.S. At the Devil's School, we were taught the proper use of the apostrophe ... (Sorry; couldn't resist. Don't take it personally; just messin' with ya, Treehugger ...)

That's interesting and unusual. Can't re-matriculate. Must be a space and resources issue. Can't do independent studies?

It definitely is a space issue. They can give you a "bachelor of general studies" for independent study. Don't know what good that's going to do.

Why not?

To make space for more people to experience BYU.

You have no real options here in Utah Valley. However, if you want to continue in school, you might want to pursue an interdisciplinary M.A. at the UofU Middle East Center. The application deadline for Fall 2013 is Jan 15, 2013, which gives you time to prepare to specialize in Hebrew.

You will be required to complete 33 hours, half in Hebrew, including 6 on a thesis.

You must demonstrate proficiency in one European language other than English.

You must have completed the third year of a Hebrew program (minimum). If not, they require that you take 3010 and 3020 in Hebrew to bring you up to speed, but that won't count as graduate credit. See http://www.mec.utah.edu/?pageId=263 .

If you are worried about the commute to SLC several days a week, bear in mind that the rapid transit system from Provo will be in full operation by this Fall.

Also, keep in mind that you can prepare your skills in both Hebrew and some European language at UVU or BYU. The Hebrew University of Jerusalem also has online credit courses in every type of Hebrew, which could also give you a leg up. Let me know if you want further details.

Those look like some cool programs but I am on the East Coast and doing a Master's degree already (and it's in math).

Do you know of any ANE history, methodology, or Ugaritic courses available online? Hebrew Univ. only has Hebrew, Aramaic and Yiddish.

It definitely is a space issue. They can give you a "bachelor of general studies" for independent study. Don't know what good that's going to do.

To make space for more people to experience BYU.

Those look like some cool programs but I am on the East Coast and doing a Master's degree already (and it's in math).

Do you know of any ANE history, methodology, or Ugaritic courses available online? Hebrew Univ. only has Hebrew, Aramaic and Yiddish.

I have a bachelors in history and before I finished, i was never able to find either an undergraduate or graduate program online for history.

I have a bachelors in history and before I finished, i was never able to find either an undergraduate or graduate program online for history.

DH got an online Masters degree from California State University-Dominguez Hills. It was in the Humanities with a history (and I think art) emphasis.

DH got an online Masters degree from California State University-Dominguez Hills. It was in the Humanities with a history (and I think art) emphasis.

I've seen those before. That's awesome that he was able to do his masters online.

I've yet to find an actual master or doctrate of history program that was online though. That doesn't mean of course that some might not pop up before too long, or that i missed some in my search.

So what will getting a minor do, exactly, at this stage in the game? The way I see it, nobody will be woo'd by it to the point where it would have an effect on schooling or employment any more so than not having a minor yet having taken those courses. Maybe I'm off base and don't know what it is you're aiming for.

So what will getting a minor do, exactly, at this stage in the game? The way I see it, nobody will be woo'd by it to the point where it would have an effect on schooling or employment any more so than not having a minor yet having taken those courses. Maybe I'm off base and don't know what it is you're aiming for.

As was mentioned earlier, it's like collecting merit badges and eagle palms.

MEMRA is offering Beginning Ugaritic, module 2, beginning Sept 24 (must register by Sept 1) http://www.memraonline.com/registration.html at about @250 per year. Not for credit. They also list Intermediate Ugaritic, but aren't offering it just now. I think Michael Heiser teaches the course, and he seems to also be mulling over teaching the same course for the Hebrew University for credit.

Quartz Hill School of Theology (QHST) is teaching Ugaritic also, http://www.theology.edu/ugraintr.htm .

THe Univ. of Michigan offers a wider range of courses, but I couldn't establish whether they were actually online or not. I'm sure there are others.

MEMRA is offering Beginning Ugaritic, module 2, beginning Sept 24 (must register by Sept 1) http://www.memraonli...gistration.html at about @250 per year. Not for credit. They also list Intermediate Ugaritic, but aren't offering it just now. I think Michael Heiser teaches the course, and he seems to also be mulling over teaching the same course for the Hebrew University for credit.

Quartz Hill School of Theology (QHST) is teaching Ugaritic also, http://www.theology.edu/ugraintr.htm .

THe Univ. of Michigan offers a wider range of courses, but I couldn't establish whether they were actually online or not. I'm sure there are others.

Thank you! Now I have the full range of classes I need. I'll take Hebrew independent study, ANE history at a JC, and Ugaritic through Michael Heiser.