Seriously No Politics ×

Who Gives Us Commandments?

Doing a little bit of research, and would like to get some input on what others think of the topic of where commandments come from.

We ultimately know that commandments come from God and that they are part of the law that we agreed to adhere in our premortal experience. The question I have is, who on earth is in authority to give commandments? We know that the prophet gives commandments for God. But can other people give commandments as well?

We are commanded to read the scriptures. If our stake president tells us we should read the BOM in the year 2012 during stake conference, is this considered a commandment or just a suggestion? If an EQP asks us to fellowship a member of the quorum above and beyond home teaching, would this be a commandment or just a suggestion? Obviously both the stake president and EQP felt inspired to have us as members do these things and I would strive to do them anyway, but are they actually commandments?

Another question I have is how specific can a commandment be? We learn that Nephi was commanded specifically to retrieve the brass plates with his brothers. If we were to get a specific commandment that only applied to one member, from whom would it come?

I would love some feedback. Also some scriptural or conference reference regarding the matter.

Doing a little bit of research, and would like to get some input on what others think of the topic of where commandments come from.

We ultimately know that commandments come from God and that they are part of the law that we agreed to adhere in our premortal experience. The question I have is, who on earth is in authority to give commandments? We know that the prophet gives commandments for God. But can other people give commandments as well?

We are commanded to read the scriptures. If our stake president tells us we should read the BOM in the year 2012 during stake conference, is this considered a commandment or just a suggestion? If an EQP asks us to fellowship a member of the quorum above and beyond home teaching, would this be a commandment or just a suggestion? Obviously both the stake president and EQP felt inspired to have us as members do these things and I would strive to do them anyway, but are they actually commandments?

Another question I have is how specific can a commandment be? We learn that Nephi was commanded specifically to retrieve the brass plates with his brothers. If we were to get a specific commandment that only applied to one member, from whom would it come?

I would love some feedback. Also some scriptural or conference reference regarding the matter.

All commandments on earth came from my Dad...before that it was my Father.

I think that only the Prophet can give us commandments.

However, at the same time I think that if someone in authority over you says to do something, and you feel the Spirit confirm that it is is right, then not doing it puts you on shakey ground.

Maybe you won't need to repent for not doing it, but I definitely feel that in such instances, blessings are lost that otherwise would have been yours.

Edited by bluebell

While this Doctrine and Covenants verse had specific reference to Joseph Smith at the time it was given, I believe its application is more general: "Whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same." And it doesn't matter what mantle the servant bears in the kingdom. The recipient has the responsibility to confirm that the counsel he receives from God's servants is what God, Himself, would have the recipient do. Each person has the opportunity to receive revelation for those within his stewardship: fathers have a right to revelation for their families, teachers have a right to revelation for their classes, bishops have a right to revelation for their wards, and so on. I have sat in council with Elders Quorum Presidencies and with Bishops when such revelation has been received, both for specific individuals over which the person receiving the revelation has stewardship and for the group over which the receiver has stewardship. I know that process is real.

Now, having said all of that, while a person who has stewardship over me is capable of receiving revelation on my behalf, the person with primary responsibility for seeking and receiving revelation as to how I am to conduct my life is ... me. :) When Moses's burden of receiving revelation for his people became too heavy, his father-in-law, Jethro, counseled him to call others to assist him. While there are occasions when it is entirely appropriate for a bishop, for example, to seek and to receive revelation on behalf of an individual member (the repentance process is one example that leaps immediately to mind, and of course a bishop is responsible as a Judge in Israel to determine what steps a person needs to take to repent of any transgression serious enough to require a bishop's involvement), As to priesthood matters, those who receive revelation for their stewardships in a ward are those who have priesthood keys: Bishops, Elders Quorum Presidents, Teachers Quorum Presidents, and (Gasp! :shok:) yes, even Deacons Quorum Presidents. I think one of the best things a bishop or a stake president can do is to teach those over whom he has stewardship how to receive their own revelation. Is it any wonder that Moses said, "Would to God that all the Lord's people were prophets"?

Edited by Kenngo1969

On a personal scale, and living in the 21st century, I think I prefer the word "admonish" over "command". If we accept the 1st presidency, then we must accept those they delegate authority to - so long as the laid down rules {Church Handbook} are followed, in directing the affairs of the church.

On a personal scale, and living in the 21st century, I think I prefer the word "admonish" over "command". If we accept the 1st presidency, then we must accept those they delegate authority to - so long as the laid down rules {Church Handbook} are followed, in directing the affairs of the church.

How does the time call for a new definition? Just wondering...for God it is not the 21st Century.

All commandments come from my wife. :crazy: