Seriously No Politics ×

Spiritural Experinces Outside The Church...Had Any?

I ask because I am reminded of a time when I went out to do an Inspection at a Jewish Snyogoge ( hope I spelled that right) When I walked in the Spirit was so strong as to cause me to be taken a-back. I found someone and ask if I should cover my head, I was told that for the Inspection, no. I then asked if it would make then feel better, I was then given a Yammach...sorry have no idea how to spell it. I was thanked from my reverance when I finished. it was a great experience.

Any similar outside your faith?

Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

I feel that way when I enter a Catholic church, especially cathedrals. There is something about being drawn upwards visually definitely bringing one's thoughts up to God.

I experienced more of a sorrow when visiting Russian Orthodox churches. Such a history of hardship for their people and even still turmoil now it seems (or did while we were there).

I used to be quite obese. I'm still very plump, but lost 100 pounds. When I was corpulent I had trouble walking and occasionally stopped and caught my breath. I remember watching the light of the sun dancing through the leaves of a nearby tree and the world of nature around me. I was reminded at that point of a line from one of my favorite movies, "Joe versus the Volcano", where it is said, "My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Sometimes religious experiences could be had while walking to work or watching the movies.

I feel that way when I enter a Catholic church, especially cathedrals. There is something about being drawn upwards visually definitely bringing one's thoughts up to God.

I experienced more of a sorrow when visiting Russian Orthodox churches. Such a history of hardship for their people and even still turmoil now it seems (or did while we were there).

I feel similarly about Catholic churches. My best friends wedding was at a Catholic church in Pittsburgh. Here are some photos of it I found on the net.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/catholicsanctuaries/sets/72157627438564153/

I have never been to a cathedral but felt drawn by the efforts of many hands in the construction that pointedly displayed a love for Christ.

More to Pa Pa's OP, I would say I think by that by his reverence towards the beliefs of another of a differing faith, he likely invited the Holy Spirit to participate as well, in his own way.

Pa Pa, that was very thoughtful of you.

Very much so. I think it was a great example and as often happens when we are being good examples, it becomes an even better experience for us, so much so that we don't even feel like we are being examples, but we are the ones being taught...which is as it should be.

The Evangelical churches I've been in have all been small and for the most part have been a cross between the LDS style (or lack of it!) and a school. They've been small and not able to afford a big place, sometimes they remind me a bit of cabins because they often have an A type of frame with the chapel, perhaps again to point toward heaven? I've felt the spirit, but it was during the services, not the place itself...much like I do with our churches, though temples are totally different.

Edited by calmoriah

When I was in the army, my base was across the street from a Catholic church built over one of the caves purporting to be Elijah's. Amazingly spiritual, the cave, the candles, the reverent worship of the Arab Catholics, and a picture of St. Theresa of Avila. I'd go whenever I wanted to contemplate. In the same complex there is a Carmelite monastery which cared for Napoleon's cholera-stricken troops, and a nunnery. My base was on premises leased from the Roman Catholic Church, so probably the only one with its own cross and Madonna!

I attended an Islamic service several years ago when I was taking my World Religions course. It is fascinating how God allows us to experience Him even outside our personal religious traditions. I cherish the impression that the service left on my heart.

I have also had wonderful experiences attending the RCC, Christ's Church of the Valley (CCV Mega Church), Community of Christ (RLDS), Reform Jewish Temple and even a Buddhist service.

While my response to Heavenly Father is through the LDS church, I am able to recognize that others are called to respond differently.

I have always felt moved by religious movies...(still do) ...The Robe...Ben Hur...The Greatest Story Ever Told..Jesus Of Nazareth...The Ten Commandments...King Of Kings...David and Bathsheba....Song Of Bernadette...Our Lady Of Fatima....etc. I didn't join the church til I was 21...so although I felt the spirit somewhat in other churches as I was searching, I have to admit nothing blew me away more that then ones I got after I became LDS!

My mother was raised Greek Orthodox. So I have been to those services a few times in my past. Beautiful churches too, very similar to Catholic. I attended a couple of Christmas Eve midnight masses when I was LDS with my aunt and uncle in San Francisco when I lived there. Those were very cool! Loved the music!

Religions have always fascinated me ever since I was a little girl. :)

Red

I had a great experience in a Catholic cathedral in Fulda Germany...then "West Germany" called "The Dome". Our branch where I joined the LDS Church was located nearby. I lived in Bad Hersfield, located about 20 miles North. That was 33 years ago. Your post reminded me of this...thank you.

I have often felt the Spirit strongly while singing hymns with friends in other Christian churches. When I sing songs of praise with my non-LDS friends, it's one way that I'm able to bear my testimony to them. I don't usually get teary when I bear my testimony verbally, but I really have to fight back tears when I'm singing sometimes.

I also had a wonderful spiritual experience when I visited a church halfway across the world in Australia. Some of my ancestors were married there and would have attended that church regularly. I felt a special bond with my ancestors then. Something I will never forget.

Edited by Evangeline

Some wonderful stories here. :)

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit London, a few years back, and I was in a very agnostic mode, at the time. We were scheduled to visit Westminster Abbey and it was not exactly first on my list of places to visit, but I went with an open curiosity about it. I had seen a lot of pictures of it, so I kind of knew what to expect (I thought). Well, as you might expect, it is much more impressive, in person, than in pictures...the place is massive and just gorgeous! What I didn't expect were the feelings I experienced, when I entered that place. I just felt overwhelmed by the spirit, especially in the worship areas. My father had recently passed and I felt prompted to light a candle for him, in that beautiful place...something I would have never considered, before I entered those hallowed halls. It was a beautiful experience and the beginning of my return to faith in God.

Some wonderful stories here. :)

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit London, a few years back, and I was in a very agnostic mode, at the time. We were scheduled to visit Westminster Abbey and it was not exactly first on my list of places to visit, but I went with an open curiosity about it. I had seen a lot of pictures of it, so I kind of knew what to expect (I thought). Well, as you might expect, it is much more impressive, in person, than in pictures...the place is massive and just gorgeous! What I didn't expect were the feelings I experienced, when I entered that place. I just felt overwhelmed by the spirit, especially in the worship areas. My father had recently passed and I felt prompted to light a candle for him, in that beautiful place...something I would have never considered, before I entered those hallowed halls. It was a beautiful experience and the beginning of my return to faith in God.

I wish when I was there, I had gone to the Abby...a lot of great men buried there. Are so I am told. ****ens, Wilberforce, etc.

Yes, a lot of famous people buried there. They have what is known as the "Poet's Corner" where many famous writers were either buried or have some kind of memorial. It's really a very interesting place.

Edited by Libs

On my mission in France I was asked by an investigator to come with him to a study group of his. He was a Charismatic Catholic and felt the need to rejuvenate the Catholic Church from within rather than leave it. My companion and I attended and found it was more of a worship meeting. Several hymns were joyfully sung, a few prayers, and more singing. I felt the Spirit there with these people and was grateful to have had the experience. I don't know the fellow and his wife were ever baptized, but there was a high degree of similarities between what we believed. It is interesting how the Spirit teaches all people truth; some accept a great deal while others are only able to accept smaller degrees.

Edited by Storm Rider

Yes, a lot of famous people buried there. They have what is known as the "Poet's Corner" where many famous writers were either buried or have some kind of memorial. It's really a very interesting place.

I would love to buried on "Poet's Corner". Did you note how the software blocked the name of "Charles ****ens"...that is too funny.

On my mission in France I was asked by an investigator to come with him to a study group of his. He was a Charismatic Catholic and felt the need to rejuvenate the Catholic Church from within rather than leave it. My companion and I attended and found it was more of a worship meeting. Several hymns were joyfully sung, a few prayers, and more singing. I felt the Spirit there with these people and was grateful to have had the experience. I don't know the fellow and his wife were ever baptized, but there was a high degree of similarities between what we believed. It is interesting how the Spirit teaches all people truth; some accept a great deal while others are only able to accept smaller degrees.

Where two are more are gathered in my name, I will be there also.

I have had several spiritual experiences of a personal nature in the backcountry on hikes. I remember one in particular a few years back, hiking to Desolation Lake up Big Cottonwood canyon east of Salt Lake City. I was climbing through a meadow full of waist high wildflowers, stopped to rest at the crest, looked back down canyon to Alexander Basin. The sun was out, and it seemed like the whole canyon was bright Irish green. I was so overcome by the beauty of God's creation that I dropped to my knees and uttered a prayer of gratitude for what I was witnessing.

A lot of hikers that I talk with hold the mountains in great reverence, even if they are not personally religous. As for myself, after the Temple and a real good Fast and Testimony meeting, I have felt the spirit more in the mountains than any other place. (two exceptions noted).

I have had several spiritual experiences of a personal nature in the backcountry on hikes. I remember one in particular a few years back, hiking to Desolation Lake up Big Cottonwood canyon east of Salt Lake City. I was climbing through a meadow full of waist high wildflowers, stopped to rest at the crest, looked back down canyon to Alexander Basin. The sun was out, and it seemed like the whole canyon was bright Irish green. I was so overcome by the beauty of God's creation that I dropped to my knees and uttered a prayer of gratitude for what I was witnessing.

A lot of hikers that I talk with hold the mountains in great reverence, even if they are not personally religous. As for myself, after the Temple and a real good Fast and Testimony meeting, I have felt the spirit more in the mountains than any other place. (two exceptions noted).

It is clear that is what God intends...that his creations draw us to the creator.

It is clear that is what God intends...that his creations draw us to the creator.

I agree. The trees, mountains, flowers, oceans, rivers, lakes, animals, all of them were placed on this earth for our pleasure. The least we could do is recognize it and thank Him for the joy they bring us.