Seriously No Politics ×

7 Minutes Of Terror

thesometimesaint

Not a clue what this has to do with the Church....

Didn't watch the whole thing, not interested in commentary today. Who is experiencing the terror?

Love the name of the craft, btw.

I'm new here. Is the "In the News" portion of this forum only for Church related stuff?

[edit: I just noticed the descriptive line for "In the News", which reads, "Posts dedicated to events or current trends in mainstream media dealing with topics about the LDS Church and other General announcements of interest."

Cool.

That was a fascinating video!!

I know of no specific Church teachings about people being on Mars, but for many years it was assumed that Mars was populated. But my interest n posting the video was that space travel, and space in general has always fascinated me. I'm a old Star Trek junky. :)

Good morning, TSS, and Happy 4th... I was debating whether to get myself ready and go up to the Church for a flagraising and breakfast (prepared by the bishopric)... but I've been playing here and time slips away (it is now 7:40 a.m. and starts at 8:00, so too late). Ah well, I think later I'll go to our local parade, which is so corny it is wonderful. Real hometown America with homemade floats, kids on trykes, bicycles decorated with crepe paper etc etc.

Now, about space travel, etc. My husband worked for the power company and part of his responsibility was liaison with the mining and military customers for their power needs... his favorite among the military was that he worked with the NASA station at Goldstone Tracking Station in CA, up on the high desert. Few people realize just what an important part Goldstone played in all of the space launches... you always heard about Houston... but it was Goldstone that had the huge satellites receiving signals which were then fed out.

One time I was with him as we started on vacation and he said he had to swing by the Station and meet briefly with the station chief on a power matter... When we got to the gate we had to wait to be cleared as security was extra tight (it was about a month out before an upcoming space launch). We met with the chief and he was very gracious to me and was showing us around... lots of activity... he took us over to this wall that was all sorts of knobs, switches, lights, numbers etc etc and was explaining it, and finally just said "it's a clock." It was space "time" to the nth, nth degree. Wish I could remember his words but it was mind boggling how critical "time" was/is in coordinating everything. Anyway, I just remember how Goldstone was my husband's favorite... and he too loved "space and space travel."

from the beach on a glorious morning... What a day for a parade and fireworks tonight on the Bay!!

GG

GG:

When President Kennedy called on our nation to send a man to the moon and return him safely within a decade my father answered the call. He was the one who signed the government contracts, and enforced them with all the companies needed to build not only the Mercury series, but the Gemini, and Apollo missile, and space craft as well.

We lived in Huntsville Alabama just a few miles from the Saturn 5 booster test pad facilities. When they lit that candle it was heard 90 miles away in Birmingham. :shok:

I know of no specific Church teachings about people being on Mars, but for many years it was assumed that Mars was populated. But my interest n posting the video was that space travel, and space in general has always fascinated me. I'm a old Star Trek junky. :)

I am still waiting for the pictures of the archeological ruins on the moon. :search::D

Well, I don't care if it has anything to do with the Church. That video, the rover, and the process of getting it there, is just plain awesome!

Thanks for posting -- if you had posted in Social Hall, which is arguably where this belongs, I might not have seen it.

• 2 weeks later...

So THATS how they did it. Now I know what we are watching and talking about during dinner tonight. Of course, only one of my kids would care and that one is out of town.

why is it that so many critics attack us because God never explained how the earth was created or how the plates were translated, but they don't seem to care that the same god never told us how to cure cancer or how to explore the universe? Learning on our own through trial and error and great sacrifice is one of the best gifts God has given us.

Archived