Seriously No Politics ×

'Mormon Group' Plans "Mass Weekend Resignation" From Church

CQUIRK

Came across this on Yahoo News-

SALT LAKE CITY (Reuters) - Troubled by issues ranging from polygamy to gay marriage, several dozen Mormons plan to resign this weekend from the church en masse in an unusual public show of defiance in Salt Lake City.

Organizers say participants in Saturday's mass resignation will gather in a public park to sign a "Declaration of Independence from Mormonism," followed by a hike up Ensign Peak, scaled in 1847 by then-church President Brigham Young to survey the spot where his Latter-day Saints would build a city.

The planned rally marks an unusually display of defiance from members of the Utah-based Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, known for its culture of obedience. But the restive Mormons say they mean no disrespect.

Such vain and petty stunts against the church have come and fizzled out before- this will be no different, nor will the disrespect, spiteful, and very much hateful motives of these people be concealed at all.

No, disrespect, but we are making this a public event, we are going to pronounce or freedom for the very spot where Brigham Young shackled us....and on and on and on; the spectacularity of the event, muffles the claims of "no disrepect".

Wouldn't it be hilarious for someone to go with them, and when they reach the point grab the mic and say

"No, disrepect, but Joseph Smith was the greatest man to live in modern times" (spoofing what happened to taylor swift at a music award)

I am afraid the those people will be like those in John, chapter 6:

66 ¶From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

The question by Christ:

67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?

And the answer by Peter:

68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the of words eternal life.

Glenn

... Wouldn't it be hilarious for someone to go with them, and when they reach the point grab the mic and say

"No, disrepect, but Joseph Smith was the greatest man to live in modern times" (spoofing what happened to taylor swift at a music award)

Kanye West is an embarrassingly-lower form of life who should embarrass anyone responsible for his existence: "Tayluh, I'm 'on' let you finish ... right aftuh I embarrass you in front of all you fans ... !" <_< What an idiot and a dweeb!

The planned rally marks an unusually display of defiance from members of the Utah-based Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, known for its culture of obedience.

Such open dissent will not be tolerated! :angry: Who do these uppity folks think they are?! Time for the Paramilitary Arm of the Strengthening Church Members Committee ... black-clad from head to toe, jackbooted thugs ... to make visits to these folks by doing aerial insertions by zip-lining from the black helicopters through open windows at these folks' homes.

I am afraid the those people will be like those in John, chapter 6:

67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?

And the answer by Peter:

68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the of words eternal life.

Glenn

Excellent point. In all ages when the Church has been organized, there have always been some people, who, when they find out it (the Church) won't mold itself according to how they think things should be, leave in a huff.

No, disrespect, but we are making this a public event, we are going to pronounce or freedom for the very spot where Brigham Young shackled us....and on and on and on; the spectacularity of the event, muffles the claims of "no disrepect".

Wouldn't it be hilarious for someone to go with them, and when they reach the point grab the mic and say

Well said!

Such open dissent will not be tolerated! :angry: Who do these uppity folks think they are?! Time for the Paramilitary Arm of the Strengthening Church Members Committee ... black-clad from head to toe, jackbooted thugs ... to make visits to these folks by doing aerial insertions by zip-lining from the black helicopters through open windows at these folks' homes.

Worse. I'm taking them off the cookie list.

It's kind of sad that they feel they need a 'declaration of independence' to be able to leave mormonism behind.

And its a little bit weird that they think a purely symbolic gesture is what's necessary to make them feel free. They are basically admitting that the 'captivity' exists only in their minds and really has nothing to do with the actual church.

It would be interesting to know how many people who have this kind of an attitude were born into the Church, and how many converted as adults.

For those born into the Church, their anger is misplaced. They should be protesting against the way they were raised by parents who failed to teach them the true independence that the Gospel offers

For those who converted as adults, I don't know why they can't simply leave the Church by the same door they entered--quietly with little fanfare.

Such hubris. They seem to think the church lives or dies because of their membership. Wasn't it Brigham Young who said something like we cast in our nets and when we pull it in the sorting begins. It was not quite like that but that is the gist.

While some may walk in defiance and rebellion millions more will walk to church to show support. No comparison.

Actually, it's a very good comparison. Why not just allow that people are following their own conscious, just as you do, instead of putting them down and assuming the worst about them, just because they don't see things exactly as you do?

With a good friend, I might have a back and forth conversation about it (although, I might think this is actually none of my business), but these people who are resigning are not "good friends" of anyone here, that I know of, and no one really knows what their reasoning is, for doing what they're doing. As far as I can tell, they are just all being lumped into the same basket and judged for doing something that they obviously feel is just as important as others may feel about their church attendance. I just think people sometimes read in motives that are not really there.

Perhaps, those people, doing the resigning, are also concerned about people "going in the wrong direction"...and that is why they are making a statement in this way.

With a good friend, I might have a back and forth conversation about it (although, I might think this is actually none of my business), but these people who are resigning are not "good friends" of anyone here, that I know of, and no one really knows what their reasoning is, for doing what they're doing. As far as I can tell, they are just all being lumped into the same basket and judged for doing something that they obviously feel is just as important as others may feel about their church attendance. I just think people sometimes read in motives that are not really there.

Perhaps, those people, doing the resigning, are also concerned about people "going in the wrong direction"...and that is why they are making a statement in this way.

I guess I have a basic issue with drama. I am not one of those people that feels compelled to march in anyone's parade or for a cause. The moment that the media is coming in to play I question everyone's agenda and find that none of them are wholly pure. If you want to go to church, go to church. If you want to believe in the great spaghetti monster than do so. If you don't want to believe in anything, then have at it. Just as I would never conceive of joining a group to protest the construction of a mosque, a cathedral, or a mega-church, I reject all efforts of groups to coerce people of faith to do anything.

I just do not understand the need for attention that so many Americans have today. There is a certain type of person that is desperate to get that one minute of fame regardless of the reason. It takes a far more courageous person to choose to act when no one cares, no one is looking, on media attention is given, and no one is announcing to the world their intent to act. It leaves such a bitter taste in my mouth. We have so many rebels without a cause; desperate to find an issue, any issue, in an effort to announce to the world they are against something. If you want to do something then do it; no need to announce that you are going to do it.

I know plenty of LDS who made a very public display of their support of Prop 8, here in CA. I suppose, according to your reasoning, they should have just stayed at home. Clearly, from my perspective, they were "rebels without a cause" (or rebels supporting a wrong cause)...but, I certainly support their right to follow their conscience...just as I support these people who want to make a public statement with their resignation from the church. That has not been my choice, but that is their choice and their decision to do, in whatever way their conscience dictates.

That's a part of the American way, yes? I think so.

I know plenty of LDS who made a very public display of their support of Prop 8, here in CA. I suppose, according to your reasoning, they should have just stayed at home. Clearly, from my perspective, they were "rebels without a cause" (or rebels supporting a wrong cause)...but, I certainly support their right to follow their conscience...just as I support these people who want to make a public statement with their resignation from the church. That has not been my choice, but that is their choice and their decision to do, in whatever way their conscience dictates.

"I" am not one that would do those type of things.

You misunderstand my meaning when I am talking about a rebel without a cause. I think there are those who seek a cause, any cause, just to be in front of people. They have no real cause; just anything will do.

There are those with sincere desires to do something; but I am not sure getting a sign, announcing to the world you are going to get a sign, then get a sign, and cause a media sensation is always something that comes from a sincere desire.

Again, I just don't like drama regardless of the issue. For me, an individual, I don't like it. I tend to vote with my feet; if I don't like something I leave; I don't announce to the congregation; I don't tell my friends; I don't write letters to the newspaper, I just leave.

That's a part of the American way, yes? I think so.

No, protests are not an American way. It has sadly become an thing that segments of our society think is the first course of action. There is a time and place for all things; it should not be the first course of action.

In this instance, do you really think that people resigning from their membership publically from the Church will achieve anything? You really think that this will change the minds of the First Presidency? All they will achieve is harder feelings on both sides. Or maybe just an increase in apathy, which is far worse.

Archived