Favorite Spiritual Song

I watched the movie, "Sister Act" a few years ago and was struck by the inadvertant spiritual nature of popular songs such as "I Will Follow Him". I recently watched a video with the accompanying song, "Trip the Light" and was struck by the very spiritual nature of both the video and the song. I have found score of songs like this, e.g., Cherryholmes, Jon and Vangelis, etc. that have spiritual themes. Are there others that have moved you in your spiritual quest?

Edited by Ron Beron

I remember when I joined the church back in 1973 I was told to not listen to Jesus Christ-Superstar. Of course I did. But what did the church find offensive about it and was the membership in agreement. I know I wasn't.

My grandmother, bless her heart, took us to Godspell in San Francisco. She tried really hard to enjoy it and said only nice things about it, but it wasn't really her cup of tea (she also took us to see Gone with the Wind...which I hated, but was more in line with her tastes).

As a family, I remember performing All Good Things at my brother's missionary farewell while he played guitar (I believe it was shortly after that the Church came out asking this not to be done in SM).

I love several of the songs from that musical.

(She also took us to Disneyland, ice skating, Santa's village, Santa Cruz, the circus, a rollercoaster park...well, I didn't go to that one, hating rides, but I hear she was a great sport though she almost lost her hairpiece she used to cover up a thinning spot on the top of her head as well as looking quite green afterwards so my older sister insisted they had all had enough so they could come home even though Grandma was game for more or was trying hard to be....and she made the best waffles ever for us when we came to stay with them for 2 to 3 weeks every summer, she sure tried hard to treat us well even though we got some great lectures about proper behaviour to go along with all the fun and games).

Edited by calmoriah

My grandmother, bless her heart, took us to Godspell in San Francisco. She tried really hard to enjoy it and said only nice things about it, but it wasn't really her cup of tea (she also took us to see Gone with the Wind...which I hated, but was more in line with her tastes).

As a family, I remember performing All Good Things at my brother's missionary farewell while he played guitar (I believe it was shortly after that the Church came out asking this not to be done in SM).

I love several of the songs from that musical.

(She also took us to Disneyland, ice skating, Santa's village, Santa Cruz, the circus, a rollercoaster park...well, I didn't go to that one, hating rides, but I hear she was a great sport though she almost lost her hairpiece she used to cover up a thinning spot on the top of her head as well as looking quite green afterwards so my older sister insisted they had all had enough so they could come home even though Grandma was game for more or was trying hard to be....and she made the best waffles ever for us when we came to stay with them for 2 to 3 weeks every summer, she sure tried hard to treat us well even though we got some great lectures about proper behaviour to go along with all the fun and games).

I remember Santa's Village! I used to fly into Skypark Airport and saw the village as we flew down that road on takeoff.(It was kind of scary since you had to bank really hard to the right to avoid the trees!) As a point of curiosity do you remember E ticket rides at Disneyland?

I remember Santa's Village! I used to fly into Skypark Airport and saw the village as we flew down that road on takeoff.(It was kind of scary since you had to bank really hard to the right to avoid the trees!) As a point of curiosity do you remember E ticket rides at Disneyland?

Only been there three times, once as a child with Grandma and Grandpa, once for high school grad outing and once as a young married mom. It sounds familiar but nothing specific is coming up. As to the trip with G & G, what I remember is the Matterhorn, swimming in the lukewarm water at the motel's pool at night (it was heavenly, so relaxing and quiet after the crowds of the day) and being made to eat peaches in cream for breakfast one day at the hotel...no cooking allowed in the motel and no "continental breakfasts" at the time so this saved us from having to go out to eat (I didn't like peaches at the time). Oh, maybe another ride if you didn't get wet at the end of the Matterhorn though perhaps it was some place else. I remember splashing down through water spraying up around us at the end of a ride, Grandma was not pleased. I loved it.*** Interesting what sticks in your mind.

Apparently it was the Matterhorn after all:

The splash-down pools at the end of each track serve dual purpose
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matterhorn_Bobsleds#The_attraction Edited by calmoriah

Very Sufi -ish song from one of my favourites.

Nice song and rendition. It reminds of Bette Midler's song "This Ole House"

Edited by Ron Beron