Seriously No Politics ×

Almost 4 Weeks On My Back...How Do I Remain Sane?

Hello Pa Pa...

Writing... journal and poetry...

Crossword puzzles

Books on Tape

Get book: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (a couple of pencils and a drawing pad)

and do the exercises (you'll be amazed at your untapped ability).

Rent good movies (mostly oldies) although some I liked recently: Secretariat; Extremely Close and Incredibly Loud; Robin Hood (Russell Crowe); The King's Speech; Amistad; Dave (Kevin Kline); Hoosiers; Elizabeth (Cate Blanchett); and the sequel Elizabeth, The Golden Age. All good stories.

Good luck...

GG

Hello Pa Pa...

Writing... journal and poetry...

Crossword puzzles

Books on Tape

Get book: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (a couple of pencils and a drawing pad)

and do the exercises (you'll be amazed at your untapped ability).

Rent good movies (mostly oldies) although some I liked recently: Secretariat; Extremely Close and Incredibly Loud; Robin Hood (Russell Crowe); The King's Speech; Amistad; Dave (Kevin Kline); Hoosiers; Elizabeth (Cate Blanchett); and the sequel Elizabeth, The Golden Age. All good stories.

Good luck...

GG

I feel for you. Inactivity of this sort is the worst thing to go through for me. By now you have not only counted the spiders on the ceiling you have named them and are holding conversations with a few of them. One suggestion I might offer is to pick a topic and research it thoroughly. I find that can be time consuming and entertaining not to mention educational. Hope you mend soon.

I've had surgery a few times and been laid up for six weeks after each one, post-op. I wish I could tell you how I did it, but I've got no secrets. (Perhaps my secret is that I didn't stay sane! :crazy:;)) It's no fun, I know that. I wish you well. :)

Perhaps listen to some audio books, pray and mediate through scriptures, call people and catch up with those you have may have lost touched with. Man my heart goes out to you.

Exercise whatever area you can,even if it just your hands. You will need as much of your body in shape as you can in order to deal with the muscles that have been weakened due to lack of use. Just squeezing a tennis ball as you watch TV will help.

So sorry, Papa.

I see someone has already suggested audio books, which was going to be my suggestion. Looks like you've gotten a lot of good suggestions here (if you are able to use your arms). Prayers for a quick recovery.

I am sending prayers for you as well, my friend. I can't even imagine being on your back for that long. Anything you can listen to that will uplift you, and remind you that Heavenly Father is trying your faith.

In some ways, this could be considered a Job moment for you. You're facing terrible trials all around, and the most important thing in all of it: how will you respond in the face of such things?

When you face what could possibly be one of the worst physical trials of your life (I can't think of much worse than a broken back, and being severely restricted for a very extended period), the true nature of who you are will be revealed.

You are never far from my thoughts. :)

Ask your priesthood leaders for a list of all those who weren't home taught the previous month or maybe for several months. You call and talk with them.

If you can type here, you can do family search indexing.

Bet you a dollar that there is some other home bound person in your congregation who would love to exchange jokes.

You could probably arrange for a student who needs help with reading to come visit you so you could tutor him/her from your bed.

Oragami mailed to children or grown ups who need cheering up?

Have you sent a pass along card to all your high school friends and told them about the joy the gospel has brought you and how sorry you didn't share it with them as a teen (if you were converted later, because you didn't know them).

Have you written your bucket list?

Have you written all the thank you notes that you should have written over the years?

You should be able to sing, or dictate your personal and family history.

Sorry to hear about your back. I've been there, still messed up. I read every novel that I could get my hands on.

There are online libraries as well as the gutenberg project (IIRC) that have a number of novels, especially classics available for reading.

All the original oz books and the scarlet pimpernel series are online, for example.

Just hoping to send you a little of encouragement....Blessings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0NibmKKkPw&feature=related

Praying for strength and encouragement for you today. "Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord"

[media=]

Edited by followerofemmanuel

There are online libraries as well as the gutenberg project (IIRC) that have a number of novels, especially classics available for reading.

All the original oz books and the scarlet pimpernel series are online, for example.

The Scarlet Pimpernel would be fun to read, as would the Brigadier Gerard. When I was extreme ill before my mission Alexandre Dumas got me through it.

How are you doing PaPa? Any improvements? Anything specific that we can be praying for you?

The Scarlet Pimpernel would be fun to read, as would the Brigadier Gerard. When I was extreme ill before my mission Alexandre Dumas got me through it.

Alexandre Dumas- The Black Tulip. One of my all time favourite books.

The Scarlet Pimpernel....Papa that would be a fun read.

Do you get many visitors?

Cannot get out of bed much...so no.

Sorry Papa, I thought you were in hospital, my mistake.

Sorry for all you are going through, the stress and worry can't be helping. Do you have friends who can do a fund raiser. I posted about a return missionary, (who's broken her spinal cord)on the news section today. Friends and family are doing a fund raiser as she has no medical insurance. Could your ward help out in this way?

You are in my prayers and thoughts, I just wish it was more.

You lost your job because of a medical issue? How big is your firm? Big enough to be subject the family medical leave act? Subject to the ADA and/or Section 504?

I get 12 weeks leave of absence but the project will end...it is almost built and they have no other work in GA. The leave is without pay. I have not recieved a check in 6 weeks. But I would have been done in a few months. Also constuction is dead here. So I would be laid off...but since I cannot return in 12 weeks that is resigning which means I cannot get unemployment.I'm toast!