Mormons Obsessed With Christ

Freedom

http://www.firstthings.com/article/2012/01/mormonism-obsessed-with-christ

This author, I think, sums up the the relationship of the LDS faith to other christian religions quite well. I like this quote:

Imagine the following scenario. Your family gathers at the funeral of your dearly beloved grandfather, a world traveler. Your relatives begin telling the familiar stories about his great adventures. Soon, however, you notice another group of mourners at the other end of the room. As you eavesdrop on them, you realize they are talking about your grandfather as if they knew him well, yet you have never heard some of the stories they are telling. These new stories are not insulting to his memory, though some ring more true than others. Indeed, this group seems to have as high an opinion of your grandfather as you do. What do you do?

Of course, he makes this glaring error:

The Book of Mormon places the birth of Jesus in Jerusalem, much to the delight of biblical fundamentalists who use such discrepancies to score debating points.

And this one:

Mormons are so materialistic that they insist that the same unchanging laws govern both the natural and the supernatural. They also deny the virgin birth, since their materialism leads them to speculate that Jesus is literally begotten by the immortal Father rather than conceived by the Holy Spirit.

I think I will write Mr Webb a quick not to provide some clarity.

On the whole, it could have been a lot worse. At least he is trying to understand us, and any misunderstandings are friendly, not deliberate distortions.

P.S. FWIW, If it turns out that God the Father actually had "relations" with Mary to beget his son, I won't be freaked out. Of course, for the moment, we just don't know, and have bigger fish to fry than details like that.

Of course, the work translated as 'virgin' is better rendered as 'marriageable maiden' or 'a young (married) woman'. So the entire doctrine may be based on a mis-translation but it wouldn't be the first time.

Of course, the work translated as 'virgin' is better rendered as 'marriageable maiden' or 'a young (married) woman'. So the entire doctrine may be based on a mis-translation but it wouldn't be the first time.

Side note: James Jesse Strang taught, and Strangites believe, that she (Mary) was not a virgin in the traditional sense, and that Joseph was, in fact, Jesus' father.

Except that we have Mary herself stating that she never "knew" a man. Thus she was a virgin.

The argument goes that not 'knowing' a man has nothing to do with virginity. My position is, until further revelation on the matter is provided, I accept that Mary was a virgin in the modern sense.

Except that in ancient European cultures "knew" had a specific meaning. We might call it carnal knowledge.

I would agree with you but there are those who maintain that an argument could be made. We have enough differences in beliefs between us and other christian religions. We certainly don't need to go about creating differences were none exist.

Archived