Seriously No Politics ×

Where The Rubber Meets The Road

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should people openly discuss how to apply the gospel to life?

• Yes
    • No

When the gospel is applied to life we learn how to apply it. The scriptures are full of life's examples of love and forgiveness. Yet, I have learned that some people love to talk about doctrine, the commandments and its points, but their opinion is that we apparently shouldn't apply them in the forum (sorry I misspelled that) form of life examples.

What do you think, yes or no?

Huh? Nearly every conference talk particularly, and Sac Mtg talk, etc is about applying the gospel to our lives... living gospel principles that will bring us happiness and peace in a world of turmoil... Guess I don't understand the question.

GG

one thing to remember is just because something worked for you doesn't mean it will work for others-I am not talking like "well I don't need to repent, that's just plain silly", but results of the application can be different. I think 1 Nephi 17 comes into play, one of my favourite chapters, if God can help them, there, and then he will help me here and now the results may be different but that's okay

Should we openly discuss how to apply "the gospel" to life, bearing in mind that "the gospel" isn't composed of policy-based minutiae contained in handbooks? Sure. But the gospel is timeless. Policy, by contrast, may change from time to time as necessary to meet the changing needs of members and increased understanding and capacity of leaders.

Should [x] stay on a mission, in light of some occurrence? Did [y] handle a particular baptism appropriately by doing certain things, and/or in light of certain circumstances? Should [z] stay in a marriage, in light of certain circumstances? While all of these policy questions may implicate certain gospel principles (God calls missionaries to certain places at certain times to suit His purposes; repentance should be manifest prior to a baptism; how should a spouse consider the question of whether to seek a divorce in light of Gospel principles involving charity and being longsuffering?) that does not mean that the questions themselves are "gospel" questions. And the gospel principle of revelation may dictate that the answers to these questions change on a case-by-case basis.

Openly discussing "policy" is one thing. Openly discussing "the gospel" is another. I tend to shy away from discussions of the former because in "nonhypothetical hypothetical" situations, real, live, flesh-and-blood with real, live feelings are involved (even if nobody in the discussion but the person who posed the "nonhypothetical hypotheticals" knows who they are). Have I ever made any mistakes in cases in which Church policy is implicated? Yep. Would I want those mistakes dissected and discussed in forums such as this one when it's very likely that none of the discussants know all of the details, and even if nobody knows who I am? I think the most charitable thing to do would be to leave the resolution of those issues to the person who has stewardship over the people and issues involved. If the people with that stewardship make mistakes in handling those situations, they can join the world: who hasn't made such mistakes?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints isn't God's Church because nobody who runs it on this earth makes any mistakes. It's God's Church because, while He gives us just enough power to run His Church, He, and He alone, retains final power and authority over how ultimately to resolve issues which inevitably crop up when His children deal imperfectly with each other.

Edited by Kenngo1969

Should we openly discuss how to apply "the gospel" to life, bearing in mind that "the gospel" isn't composed of policy-based minutiae contained in handbooks? Sure. But the gospel is timeless. Policy, by contrast, may change from time to time as necessary to meet the changing needs of members and increased understanding and capacity of leaders.

Should [x] stay on a mission, in light of some occurrence? Did [y] handle a particular baptism appropriately by doing certain things, and/or in light of certain circumstances? Should [z] stay in a marriage, in light of certain circumstances? While all of these policy questions may implicate certain gospel principles (God calls missionaries to certain places at certain times to suit His purposes; repentance should be manifest prior to a baptism; how should a spouse consider the question of whether to seek a divorce in light of Gospel principles involving charity and being longsuffering?) that does not mean that the questions themselves are "gospel" questions. And the gospel principle of revelation may dictate that the answers to these questions change on a case-by-case basis.

Openly discussing "policy" is one thing. Openly discussing "the gospel" is another. I tend to shy away from discussions of the former because in "nonhypothetical hypothetical" situations, real, live, flesh-and-blood with real, live feelings are involved (even if nobody in the discussion but the person who posed the "nonhypothetical hypotheticals" knows who they are). Have I ever made any mistakes in cases in which Church policy is implicated? Yep. Would I want those mistakes dissected and discussed in forums such as this one when it's very likely that none of the discussants know all of the details, and even if nobody knows who I am? I think the most charitable thing to do would be to leave the resolution of those issues to the person who has stewardship over the people and issues involved. If the people with that stewardship make mistakes in handling those situations, they can join the world: who hasn't made such mistakes?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints isn't God's Church because nobody who runs it on this earth makes any mistakes. It's God's Church because, while He gives us just enough power to run His Church, He, and He alone, retains final power and authority over how ultimately to resolve issues which inevitably crop up when His children deal imperfectly with each other.

Im not talking about consequences at all, just how to apply the principles in situations. I think you read too much into my post that his thread is referring to. But, perhaps its time for a more free thinking forum that actually applies the gospel to life, instead of a purified theory that has nothing to do with life. Shying away is no problem, but why not have it an option to talk about for those that do. Who knows??? I think its funny!

I think the reluctance to discuss your situations is that they are so personalized they pretty much require revelation to answer. Since God rarely gives revelation regarding hypotheticals it was pointless to discuss the questions in your last thread. They also seemed calculated to pit the gospel against itself which is probably why it was locked.

Reluctance to discuss improbable scenarios is not fear of applying the gospel. It's fear of being puppets in your little fantasy game.

Edited by The Nehor

I think the reluctance to discuss your situations is that they are so personalized they pretty much require revelation to answer. Since God rarely gives revelation regarding hypotheticals it was pointless to discuss the questions in your last thread. They also seemed calculated to pit the gospel against itself which is probably why it was locked.

Reluctance to discuss improbable scenarios is not fear of applying the gospel. It's fear of being puppets in your little fantasy game.

Sorry you misread that. I guess people can come up with anything they want. Definitely out of here! Nehor, I still love you man ... Come on give me a big kiss like I know you want to! haha! It was fun, but I need something thats a little more honest and down to earth. Later guys!

Sorry you misread that.

I doubt it.

I guess people can come up with anything they want.

C'mon.....at least come up with a witty justification.

Definitely out of here! Nehor, I still love you man ... Come on give me a big kiss like I know you want to! haha! It was fun, but I need something thats a little more honest and down to earth. Later guys!

Nothing spells honesty like baiting for some people. May you find dupes elsewhere.

I think I know who you are now too. Bye.