Seriously No Politics ×

Alcohol Removed Wine

I was shopping today and happened upon some non-alcoholic / alcohol removed wine. My curiosity got the better of me and I bought it, very tasty. I suppose it is a bit like welches grape juice except almost entirely void of sweetness. The brand I got is called FRE, does anyone have any experience with this or other brands?

On another note, does this violate the WofW (in your opinion, you can tell what my conclusion was) since it say wine is not for the belly but does not specify if it is the alcohol that is bad.

Edited by Saints Alive

To me the WofW is just as it reads without any fanciful interpretations or add-ons. If it were about caffiene then the Lord would have said something about stimulants, etc. The Lord actually knows what he is doing and he clearly stated what he intended. Now, having said that I realize that a clarifcation was needed to define hot drinks.

Some would argue the 3rd verse, "Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.", would indicate that the actions of the strong/disciplined should be adapted so that the weakest might not be tempted. Others would say the mere appearance of evil should be rejected. Still others would say that you are playing with fire; "if this wine tastes this good, what does the 'real' stuff taste like" would be an easy temptation.

I would say that the WofW does infer that strong drink is not for man. All it says about wine is that it is not a good choice either; there was no clarification about its alchol content.

Temptation and rationalization are wley things; what we try and teach each individual is to listen to the Spirit and follow what he tells you. Beware the times when your heart is set upon by the things of this world and your eye is not single to the glory of God. It it then that darkness invades the sould, clouds the eyes, and binds the heart.

Follow the Spirit and enjoy Life.

I don't buy the "it can lead you to wanting the real stuff" argument. That turns into a slippery slope real quick. I once heard it argued that you shouldn't drink apple juice in a clear glass because it could be mistaken for beer and thus give the appearance of evil.

I don't buy the "it can lead you to wanting the real stuff" argument. That turns into a slippery slope real quick. I once heard it argued that you shouldn't drink apple juice in a clear glass because it could be mistaken for beer and thus give the appearance of evil.

That's why I drink coke.It shouldn't be confused with beer(well,there are some dark beers,but still...)

I'm looking forward to the Merlot. $5 a bottle, but $13 to ship! Yikes! I don't think anybody has to worry about even the possibility of a slippery slope - at least until the shipping goes down. Further, I'm not sure how a $5 bottle of wine would actually taste. When I was not a member, I wouldn't even consider a bottle of wine under $15. Sometime I may try one though for fun to taste the difference. I for one think wine is healthy if it weren't for all the alcohol. I don't have a problem with this.

When caffeine free Coke came out back in the 80's, a lot of people said similar things about it, like are posted on this thread about wine. I grew up with wine in the house, and my dad made his own wine and beer. I never got drunk off of it, but I did always have a small glass with my parents at the Sunday Dinner table. So, for me, its about the taste of a good wine, not the other stuff.

JMHO

Edited by Messenger

Don't buy that it may lead to trying the real thing? Humm, let's review again what the WofW states, "adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints". It is not written for those that are never tempted or would be tempted. It is written so that even the weakest will not fall.

The great thing about the gospel is that we get to choose. Some of us never even consider the weaknesses of our fellowman. Some of us may live our lives in fear that we will unintentionally cause their downfall. I am reminded of Jains that use a brush to clear the path before them so they do not kill any passing insect. We can get carried away with anything, but it really just depends on where are heart is found.

Follow the Spirit, that is what we teach and what we are trying to get each person to learn to do. If you don't buy into thinking of your fellowman, no problem. Follow the Spirit is all we are teaching.

Aside: $5 bottle of wine? Eww, just go to the cupboard and try some vinegar.

OOPs I guess I may be in trouble as I often drink apple juice from a pint jar.

As a side note,there is Ginger Ale, Ginger Beer,and Ginger Wine, all non-alcoholic and each progressively stronger ginger.You really have to like ginger to drink Ginger Wine.

And if my memory serves me correctly all originated as fermented beverages.

Wow comparing vinegar to wine.

LOL. That is $5 bottles of wine; I am thinking Lancers or what was that other stuff way back when...it always tasted as if it was just about to turn into really bad vinegar. Not the pleasant taste of some vinegars.

Edited by Storm Rider

Saints Alive:

Root beer extract is still available from Hires.

It no longer has the ingredients of the original receipe and it no longer contains sassfrass or at least the safrole in sassfrass. Most no longer use yeast to carbonate it. Oh for some old fassioned home made root beer

ERayR:

Not much we can do if a product is carcinogenic. You could try to grow your own Sassafras tree. They are quite lovely.

The extract is just a thick syrup. You can use dry ice or yeast to give it the bubbles. If you use yeast be aware that small quantities of alcohol is produced. It isn't much but it is still there.

The extract is just a thick syrup. You can use dry ice or yeast to give it the bubbles. If you use yeast be aware that small quantities of alcohol is produced. It isn't much but it is still there.

I thought that was the point ;) jk